Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 04-13-10, 04:19 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Proof getting your Swine Flu Vaccination was a bad idea....

http://www.weather.com/outlook/weath...ter_2010-04-13

Okay, but seriously....think about it....if the H1N1 virus success caused fewer deaths from the regular influenza virus...every vaccination actually caused more deaths.

I seriously want Hilary and the others charged with these murders, as you know Bush would have been blamed for not distributing more H1N1 vaccines, had it worked out the other way.

Back to reality....I do love how the guy in the article manages to put a stop to the good news with an ominous warning about next year's flu season being worse. Way to go there.....regaining your hold on the monster's reins for some more fear mongering.
Old 04-13-10, 04:54 PM   #2
bassinbob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I never get a vaccination for the flu. I've never had it either. Lucky I guess. I read the article and have to concur with you nofear on your observation.
Old 04-13-10, 05:07 PM   #3
1/4 stick

The sickest I ever got from the flu was after the flu shot and phnuemonia shot they pushed on me while being discharged from the hospital in 2005. I've refused to get either since. And have had nothing more than the common cold.
Old 04-13-10, 05:13 PM   #4
3dkicker

Don't think I agree with your statement. I believe that the H1N1 didn't affect that many people, especially elderly, is due to it being a repeat strain. Most people 40 and over have been exposed to this strain before. People (some not all) already had immunity to it so it did less damage. Then the vaccinations kicked in and those who got them (if you were lucky) were immune as well so it did even less damage.
Old 04-14-10, 12:45 AM   #5
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Don't think I agree with your statement. I believe that the H1N1 didn't affect that many people, especially elderly, is due to it being a repeat strain. Most people 40 and over have been exposed to this strain before. People (some not all) already had immunity to it so it did less damage. Then the vaccinations kicked in and those who got them (if you were lucky) were immune as well so it did even less damage.
Smitty, I am of course making fun of the article.

However, just to paraphrase the guy...the reason the regular flu virus didn't do very well was because the H1N1 virus was out competing it. In order for it to do that, more people would have had to contract the H1N1 virus than actually did. If they were immune to it, for whatever reason, those people would have been vulnerable to the regular virus. Hence, my mockery of it. The illogic abounds.

Just an FYI....only 1 in 4 Americans were vaccinated against H1N1 (most of the doses manufactured last year are soon to expire and be thrown away). Like with the Polio vaccine (1 in 10), undue credit is generally given to the miraculous preventative powers of the vaccine.
Old 04-14-10, 02:52 PM   #6
3dkicker

Explains why I was surprised at your response. I didn't catch the "mockery" aspect. Don't you love how articles are written without a moderate understanding of the science behind the story???
Old 04-14-10, 03:15 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Don't you love how articles are written without a moderate understanding of the science behind the story???
It happens more and more these days, Smitty. Unfortunately, those who tend to have the least understanding of the sciences (liberal arts journalism majors) tend to have the greatest opportunity to inject their opinions. The result is, "science" has become nothing more than a hammer with which to bludgeon those who disagree with their politics.

In my opinion...this whole article was nothing more than a preface to the last paragraph, where he reaffirmed the need for more vaccinations. Very shoddy journalism.
Old 04-15-10, 08:55 PM   #8
Cavs1123

I got the vaccination so am I gonna DIE???
Old 04-15-10, 10:03 PM   #9
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavs1123 View Post
I got the vaccination so am I gonna DIE???
No, but don't be surprized if your ears swell up perminatly and become pointed, and your feet gradually start getting bigger.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.