Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-26-08, 02:50 PM   #1
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Need Quick Help And Info

Alright guys new territory for me here. I just found a Ranger 362V-dc w/ a Mercury 150XR4. If I read the plate correct on the back of the boat it's a 1990. The hull looks and feels solid, the deck also appears pretty solid, I walked around on it and didn't feel any soft spots. One or two deck hatches have the screws pulled out. The boat definately needs some new carpet and the top part of the boat either needs cleaned and waxed or the gelcoat has worn off. No obvious cracks or holes. Looked in to the stringers in the back, everything looks good, transom feels solid. The Merc looks faded, but no obvious leaks or cracks, prop is 3 blade stainless,used but straight. The guys asking $2,600. for it. Opened all the hatches, no obvious rot or rust, dirty but didn't appear cracked or holding water. Trailer is ranger trailer single axle, small rust spots-surface. All in all the whole set up appears decent. Im no expert at what to look for on glass boats, especially boats 18 years old. Any specific things I need to look at? Certain areas of Ranger boats that have common problems? As always the input from you guys and gals is taken seriously. Just don't want to jump into a 2600 mistake.
Old 02-27-08, 10:23 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

better ask the zokmister and fastlaser. be better if you could post pics for them. had a ranger in 85. it was an 82. best boat on the water to me. at 2600 bucks, you can have it regeled i think. heck, have it repainted. and seats redone too. check out the motor at a shop. REAL GOOD TOO. take it out if you can. and if you are able you can rewire the thing yourself. you know, update it. the motor is the main trouble sounds like to me. but i ain't the pro. ask zook and fastlaser. they know more than me.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-08, 06:05 PM   #3
bassnman30

I have a '98 481vs. This boat is for fishing not a "show boat". The seats are starting to crack, the carpet is coming loose at certain spots, the deck carpet is worn, Some scratches on the outside, the speedometer is out. It took appx. $500.00 in repairs to get it right (power head,change lower unit oil, no water pressure, new guages, and a general tune up etc...) It runs 61 with an Evinrude 150 Intruder. This is a good boat. Used appx. 3 times per week.

If this boat is "right" then get it. Also try and bid the guy down.

Last edited by bassnman30; 02-28-08 at 06:11 PM.
bassnman30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-08, 11:12 AM   #4
1FASTLASER

Hey firefly. Sounds like you found a decent deal there bud. It is one of my favorite Ranger hulls. The 361 and the 362 are the faster ranger hulls and perform much better that its brother and sisters. Check everything over bud. DEFINATELY have a compression check done at a good shop. Lemme know the numbers on each cylinder. From those numbers I can pretty well tell ya if the motor has had a good life and ifn she has alot left in her. After the compression check take her out. You been around enough dont forget anything. CHECK EVERYTHING and get back with those numbers.
Old 03-08-08, 12:50 AM   #5
flfireman

The only plus so far, the guy is the original owner. He's pushing the mid 70's. So I figured he bought this boat new when he was late fifties or sixty. So Im assuming he wasn't to hard on the boat. Going on Sat or Sun to talk some more. Find out the hours and if he has the service records. I have 1-2 guys locally who can check the engine for me. Im thinking about offering him 2,000 cash and see if he bites. Is the Merc engine decent?
Old 03-08-08, 06:50 AM   #6
1FASTLASER

That Merc is a excellant motor. I'll put it this way.........there are 2 different Merc V6 motors that I really enjoy pushing. The Xr4 is a 2.4 litre motor. Then they made the 2.5 litre motor which is the best there is in my opinion. The 2.5 and 2.5's have been around long enough to have a long list of followers. There tough and will run. Parts are available and fairily inexpensive compared to the hewer engines. If that motor starts and runs with no apparent problems I wouldnt be scared of it.
Old 03-08-08, 07:18 AM   #7
ally260
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Age!!!

Don't let that be a factor. I'm way past those numbers an still drive all my hot rod stuff with both feet on tha floor 90% of tha time .................T
ally260 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-08, 09:26 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

Damn ally sounds like you and me come outta the same batch. LOL

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.