Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Poll: Tracker Pro Team TX 170 or Lowe Stinger ST170
Poll Options
Tracker Pro Team TX 170 or Lowe Stinger ST170

Old 10-22-09, 01:42 PM   #1
talex
BassFishin.Com Member

Hi all... my first post.
I have a problem I am hoping you guys experienced with bass boats can help me resolve. I purchased a 17' 2007 Fisher Avenger pro and it wound up being the wrong boat for me and the better 1/2 (was to deep for many of the spots we fish). We recently sold that boat and are looking at different ones. We have come down to 2 used boats. We are currently looking at a 2009 Lowe Stinger ST170 w/50HP 2 stroke on it and extended warranty for 10 years on the motor for $9800 with approx 10 hours on it. Which is a pretty good deal I think, but we also came across a 2007 Tracker Pro Team 170tx with a 25HP 4 stroke on it for $4800, the boat looks new and has been in the water once due to original buyers health, I heard it run with muffs and it started up just fine). I do not need super speed, just a good stable platform for still fishing in small to mid size lakes. The Stinger marketing make it sound very stable, but to look at both boats, they looks nearly identical other than the stinger seeming slightly larger for space on the inside. Both motors are same year as the boat, I do not think the Tracker has any warranty on the motor, both were full packages with trailer, lowe comes with a cover.

I cannot find any direct comparrison between the 2 and the price diff makes this a tough call for me which is why I am here.

If you vote please explain why... thanks.
talex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-09, 03:02 PM   #2
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

5,000 difference for 25 more HP and a bit more room...They are extremely identical...Ive always favored the Trackers since Ive been on a few and always like how they were set up....But considering the price,I'd definitly go for the Tracker
Old 10-22-09, 03:57 PM   #3
talex
BassFishin.Com Member

Well looks like I will go with the stinger, easier than trying to trade in the motor and the 10 year warranty is just hard to pass up, not to mention it is basically a brand new boat.
Old 10-22-09, 04:16 PM   #4
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Tracker! Half the price for "virtually new". The 4-stroke would have made the choice for me - no choice - for the water and fishing you describe. No warranty on the Tracker would be NO problem for me especially with a slightly used 4-stroke. For the $5K you saved - more than enough to replace the outboard, and I doubt that need would occur. So you could spend the $5K on new rods, reels, tackle...... ohhhhh I'm getting light headed.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 01:26 PM   #5
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Without a doubt, I would go with the Tracker at that price. Then use the money you save to trick it out with nice gear, electronics, and tackle.

For example:
• Lowrance HDS-5X Sonar/GPS - $600 each. One for the casting deck, one for the driver/back deck.
• Recessed Troller Pedal-Well - Comfortroll or Trollwell. $100ish
• Spare Tire - $140ish
• Sell the Motorguide for $200 and upgrade to a Minnkota Maxxum or Maxxum Pro for $300-400 more.

Thats less than $2000 right there, and then you have $3000 more to spend on rods, reels, lures, gas, oil, insurance, registration, etc.

This thing will be a FISHING MACHINE for small, shallow lakes and you'll have a great little platform for you and your wife.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-09, 01:37 PM   #6
talex
BassFishin.Com Member

I actually now found out that the Lowe has an extended warranty on the entire boat package, it 6 years starting next may when the original warranty runs out. That's 6 years on the Boat, Electronics and motor. I decided to go with the lowe. I am pulling the trolling motor off the lowe and sell it because I have 2 Minn-Kota Power Drives, 1 is a 12v PD55, the other is a 12/24v PD70 70lb both have co-pilots which I really like so I do not need to use the foot pedals. For $9500 with that kind of warranty and twice the HP I think it is the better deal, could be wrong but at least it will all work for several years without me having to do anything but take it any Cabelas or other authorized Lowe Dealer... I also already have a Humminbird 787c fish finder, the Lowe has the spare tire and I have all the polls I will ever need. All the tips have been very helpful. I probably would have went with the Tracker, but the experince I had with my 2007 17' Fisher Pro Avenger WT with tracker service was horrible, I cannot say one good word about them and when I found out that Fisher was owned by Tracker that pretty much sealed the deal for me even more.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.JPG
Views:	744
Size:	71.3 KB
ID:	4412   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.JPG
Views:	612
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	4413  

Last edited by talex; 10-23-09 at 03:38 PM. Reason: added images
Old 10-25-09, 03:21 PM   #7
talex
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Without a doubt, I would go with the Tracker at that price. Then use the money you save to trick it out with nice gear, electronics, and tackle.

For example:
• Lowrance HDS-5X Sonar/GPS - $600 each. One for the casting deck, one for the driver/back deck.
• Recessed Troller Pedal-Well - Comfortroll or Trollwell. $100ish
• Spare Tire - $140ish
• Sell the Motorguide for $200 and upgrade to a Minnkota Maxxum or Maxxum Pro for $300-400 more.

Thats less than $2000 right there, and then you have $3000 more to spend on rods, reels, lures, gas, oil, insurance, registration, etc.

This thing will be a FISHING MACHINE for small, shallow lakes and you'll have a great little platform for you and your wife.
You made some great points and had me really thinking hard about this, I actually got the opportunity prior to making up my mind yesterday to see both the same day. The tracker was no where near in as nice shape as the Lowe and the quality seemed much lower om the tracker overall, with some of the carpeting starting to come up already, and it seemed like a weaker aluminum... then the seller told me that the original prop was gone and he had put some sort of plastic prop on the 25 4 stroke, I saw the original prop and it was all chewed up, judging from the condition of the prop and the over all condition of the tracker, the price just did not seem to justify it, and had to question how well it was taken care of, then I was told it did sit at a dock all this past summer with no cover. I also consulted a couple local anglers who said that the tracker would most likely not plane well if at all and if it did would question running it at WOT all the time just to keep plane on it, they might be wrong, but for $4k difference it just seemed to look like a worse deal, especially after seeing both in person. With the tracker I would have had to buy a spare tire, a cover, get the carpet repaired or replaced (if to make it look as new as it is), I would not be comfortable without a motor inspection which is not free and the potential was at least 50/50 that the motor would need to be upgraded... the tracker would also require winterinzing which the lowe had and the seller had the papers from the dealer... that $160 more right there as well.... on the other hand the Lowe looks like it could go right back in the show room and you would never know it was used, noone seemed to question the ability of the 50HP 2 stroke to push this boat and decent speeds and plane easily... I have plenty of poles, 2 minn-kota trolling motors both with co-pilot and a Humminbird 787c2 Fish finder... all's I will need to add to the Lowe is a Bimini and a Minn-Kota Deck mate and I will be all set, just seems to make the most sense not to mention that even though on paper these seem to spec out the same, the Lowe once you see the 2 is MUCH larger on the inside as far as breathing room... I think it would have been a win purchase either way but with the 6+ everything warranty, extra breathing room and better starting condition on the Lowe for me at least I am confident I made the right choice, now I cannot wait until spring!

Last edited by talex; 10-25-09 at 03:44 PM. Reason: details

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.