Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-19-08, 06:42 PM   #1
kennsandy
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to kennsandy
Default got some new line

had a couple BPS gift cards from X-mas decided i wanted to try some braid. never used braid b4, but i do love fishing docks, trees, what have you. i know you arent supposed to get to heavy, mine is 25lb, same size as 6lb mono. and the rod/reel is same i had mono on previously. what can i expect, is it good/bad in wind. is it really sturdy as i read in here. i used it a lil bit this weekend, and i did encounter a couple nasty nests, i assumed it was from all the wind. open face spinning reel is what i have, i think there was a lack of weight and 20+ mph winds causing my demise, lol.

someone just give me a little insite on what to expect when using that stuff, i like it so far, very strong to lift fish right out of water.

show me, guide me, lol

ken

Last edited by kennsandy; 05-19-08 at 06:42 PM. Reason: title
kennsandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 06:55 PM   #2
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Braid can be your best friend or worst enemy. I personally use it for anything that might get a light bite as well as fishing deep- c-rigs, small t-rigged craws, etc. You're right, braid likes to catch the wind and sail with it. But, once you get the hang of how it's going to behave, you might really love it, too. Also, probably a no-brainer, but be careful pulling your line free from snags. Braid will cut a man up like wire. Good luck!
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-08, 07:13 PM   #3
Buzz Wing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

-Buzz

P.S. - DON'T SNAG!
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 12:53 AM   #4
vagabond

I was going to say the same thing pignjig said. Keep your fingers out of the way. With out being aware of it I was in the habit of cradling my line in my index finger to help me feel what was going on with my bait.

Fishing braid made me aware of what I was doing. I still don't know exactly how it happened but on a hook set I sliced my finger right in the joint.

Still doesn't make sense because me finger was under the line not wrapped in it. Either how, I move my finger before I set the hook now.

That being said, I use either braid or fireline on almost all of my rods now. I've only used power pro but I love it.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 06:43 AM   #5
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

you do lose a bit of distance with braid ya have to set the reel up for braid rather than leave it the same as you had it with mono.. but once it is set up right it will flat sling a bait..i get 3 feet less distance with a frog as i would a dt6.

if ya hang up heavy braid or fire line both of which will cut you like a knife. i use my boat cleat and troller to get lose. if that don't work i have a 6" chunk of pipe it WILL come lose or break..

zooker
Old 05-20-08, 06:07 PM   #6
pignjig

Zook, that's a great point about setting the reel right. When I first used braid, I'd pull rattletraps out of the bass' mouth on the hookset. Powerpro brochures recommended letting up on the drag and that solved that problem.
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 11:36 PM   #7
tnfisherman

yea don't snag i have pulled big trees up off bottem in boutr 8 foot of water with it , im going to get some in 100# and start tying up my boat with it
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 07:19 AM   #8
IS300n8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to IS300n8

you probably already know this but i would switch to a palomar knot or another knot that works good with braid and wont slip out
IS300n8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.