Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-13-09, 08:44 PM   #1
gpbassbuter
BassFishin.Com Member

Default How to convert 12 to 24v

How simple is it to convert my 12v foot controlled trolling motor to 24 volt. I guess to start I would have to change my 12v to a 24v? Is that too much of a DUH question?
And what about the wiring? I have a 190tx tracker.
gpbassbuter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 09:21 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Hey bud, welcome to the site first of all. Now as for your question... I can't "tell" you in detail how to do it. But if you will use the search button and look back in the forums. I do believe there is a thread on this subject already. I am not so good at bringing these things up for you, but others here are great at this sort of thing. It isn't very hard to do and I think you are doing the correct thing in switching to a 24 volt system. Hopefully someone here can bring up the thread on it for you. Relax and your question will be answered in a bit pal. Have fun here too ok?
Old 10-13-09, 09:26 PM   #3
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

You mean replacing your 12v TM with a new 24v TM and adding an extra bettery to the system, right? Cause the way it is worded sounds like you want to turn your 12v into a 24v TM.

BB
Old 10-13-09, 09:41 PM   #4
gpbassbuter
BassFishin.Com Member

I guess that's the easy part, then comes the wiring. Do I have to change the gauge of wire? Not to bright on the electrical side of this.
Old 10-14-09, 07:38 AM   #5
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

To change over to a 24v T/m you will need #6 gauge wire and a 50a bkr minimum. Check the wire already there as many manufacturers use #6 copper as standard. If you have #6 cu then (minimally) you only need to check the breaker size, add a battery and the new T/m. You may also have to change to a heavier socket and plug. I've seen the small 3 prong plugs, typically used with 12v T/m's get hot and catch fire when used with a 24v motor. If your current battery is more than a year old, you will likely be better off with TWO new batteries. It's not an econominical upgrade, should be around $1100 (+/-) depending upon which 24v T/m you choose and the brand and type of batteries (2). Should you need to re-wire, change the breaker and plug add another $90 (+/-). Check the link for additional information.

http://myweb.cableone.net/jonestroll...ec61f50-9.html

Last edited by bassboogieman; 10-14-09 at 07:57 AM.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 09:02 PM   #6
gpbassbuter
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you very much. This will help me out alot.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.