Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-13-07, 09:21 AM   #1
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Is It My Line, Or My Reel-or BOTH?!

I bought an Ugly Stick rod/reel combo recently. I got it because it is a 2 piece pole that I can pop inside my car with me easily and carry it to work.

Well, after trying it a few times, I can say this thing lives up to it's name-it makes fishing UGLY!

When I got it the line that was on it appeared to be cheap & flimsy. I bought a spool of Trilene XL (14 lb. test) and swapped it on. From the first cast I started having problems with I think you call it "memory"? The line was coming off in rings and getting hung up on the eye-lets, and also forming knots.

I lost a Zara Spook on one cast because I was trying to hurl it out there, and the line wrapped around the eyelet and then popped.. I watched my new Zara sail out across the pond and land with a splash and just float out there.

I decided I had too much line on the reel so I removed a substantial amount so that the lip around the edge of the spool was exposed. The snagging problem is not as prevalent as before, but still present. The line appears to have far too much memory as even laying in the water, you can still see the "ringlets", and it is still occasionally snagging up, and knotting up.

Any suggestions? Should I try a different manufacturer, or a lower lb. test of line? I spent 15 minutes out of my only hour of fishing re-rigging my pole due to snags, and knots.
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 10:12 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

OK, First off, Ugle Stiks really aren't that dad, they're no Daiwa Steez rod or anything, but not bad for just carring in the car for impulse fishing. anyways, Use what line it says on the reel and/or rod. I also don't like Trilene to begin with, I've used Stren original Mono since I was little (i'm 16 now) I have notices, along with my dad, that Trilene has much, much, more memory than STREN. If you still wanna use trilene try one that says low memory.

You might even want to try braided, through my expiriences[sp?] I found that it has a little memory when it's new, but after a while it loses most of it.
and when going with braided don't match up # test with your reels recommendation, use line diameter, so if your reel syas 12 lb test, use a braid with the same diameter.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-13-07, 11:26 AM   #3
bassfisher02
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via AIM to bassfisher02

Ugly Stik rods are a strong rod, I use one for saltwater inshore fishing. They arent a bad rod IMO. But your problem is you use a terrible mono. I would just spool up braid [I dont know where Big Bassin is coming up with braid having memory, but buy PowerPro and I promise you, it will have absolutely no memory from the get go. PowerPro is easy to cast, easy to handle, and very, very strong. I would suggest 30lb Powerpro, it has an 8lb line diameter. And yes, dont spool any line to the reels max, leave the spool lip showing a bit.
Old 08-13-07, 11:39 AM   #4
wargoth
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Braid, Braid, Braid, Braid, and perhaps even Braid... This will solve the memory issue anyway. Also check the spool of your reel for any burrs along the top lip that might be snagging your line up. UglyStiks, though I personally dont care for them, are a decent entry level rod, Though as you didn't tell us what reel you have, I would guess that it is probably one of shakespear's low end reels, which I find to be quite good as far as low end reels go. Your most likely equipment issue though would be the reel. Additionally, 14 LB. line tends to be awful heavy for most Combo spinning reels I have seen on these rods.
Old 08-13-07, 12:31 PM   #5
FlyRod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kawabuggy View Post

From the first cast I started having problems with I think you call it "memory"? The line was coming off in rings and getting hung up on the eye-lets, and also forming knots.
Buggy,

Is this "combo" a spinning rig? If so, when you applied the new line you "installed" a lot of twist. Putting line on a spinning reel is a VERY touchy operation. It's almost impossible to do it w/o winding up with some twist.
This is due to two factors:
One; the dissimilarity in the diameter of the reel's spool and the spool of line.
Two; the improper positioning of the line spool during the operation.

Unlike as with a baitcasting reel, with the line spool rotating as is the reel spool, when putting line on a spinning reel by winding it on, the line spool must be laid flat and NOT rotating. In other words, the line must be coming off the same as it comes off a spinning reel.
Whether the spool lies label-up or label-down depends on the direction of rotation of the bail and rotor of the reel.
IF this is a spinning rig, let me know and I'll give you some tips that will minimize the problem.

In the meantime, you can do two things to remove or lessen the twist you currently have.
One: If you have access to a boat, trail the line behind the boat, at moderate speed, and WITHOUT anything tied on, for at least five minutes. Then, reel the line back on under SOME tension. repeat as needed. OR...using a high-quality ball-bearing snap swivel, attach a LIPLESS crank, such as a Rat'L'Trap or Diamond Shad and troll it at moderate speed until the twist is gone. Stop the boat to retrieve the lure so as not to pack the line on too tight.
Two: Tie a BALL-BEARING snap swivel on the end of the line. Attach the snap to some solidly-fixed object...trees or metal fences are good...making sure the swivel can turn freely. Then, using a semi-loose drag rather than opening the bail, or releasing the spool if a casting rig, walk away from the attached swivel, giving fairly stout whips of the rod as you do so. You want to whip so that the line repeatedly goes from taut to slack on each whip.
At the "end of your rope" tighten the drag then begin to SLOWLY reel the line back on as you walk SlOWLY toward the swivel, still whipping the rod. Pause every three or four steps and whip the rod three to five time.
When you reach a point where there is perhaps six feet of line left to go, stop retrieving and approach the swivel with slack line hanging from the rop tip. You may see some evidence of twist, but it will be markedly less so than than before. Now, repeat the entire exercise and do so until the twist is gone.

It sounds as though you put too much line on to start with. A fresh fill of line should be no more or less than 1/4" from the rim of the spool.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 01:05 PM   #6
brushhog

What Fly said..... Powerpro is awesome line, although I've used TRilene and had no major problems...
Old 08-13-07, 01:48 PM   #7
wargoth

Another thing you guys just reminded me of is if you have access to a boat, you can pay the line out behind you (all the way out) while moving at slow speed this will un-twist the entirety of the line from there, you just reel it back in and voila! no more twisties... Anytime I go out Walleye fishing with the old man (we troll for 'em) I take all my spinning rods and drag the line out like this. Works like a charm every time.
Old 08-13-07, 04:01 PM   #8
Kawabuggy
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank you very much for the help. I will do 2 things right away. 1. Get rid of the line I currently have. 2. Be certain to put the new braid on the spool properly the FIRST time so that I don't have these issues.

Very informative site. Glad that I joined. Happy fishing to all!
Kawabuggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 08:33 PM   #9
keithdog

Flyrod said it all. He makes some very good points. I seriously doubt it was the line, but rather how the line was put onto your reel. Unless this was an old spool of line. I've used Trilene XL for 30 years and never had any trouble with it. It's true that Power Pro braid will eliminate any memory and it is a great line. But braid isn't the cure all for all situations. There are situations where mono will be a better choice. Such as when using a crankbait.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 09:03 PM   #10
FlyRod

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
Another thing you guys just reminded me of is if you have access to a boat, you can pay the line out behind you (all the way out) while moving at slow speed this will un-twist the entirety of the line from there, you just reel it back in and voila! no more twisties... Anytime I go out Walleye fishing with the old man (we troll for 'em) I take all my spinning rods and drag the line out like this. Works like a charm every time.
From my earlier post (above) ....

"One: If you have access to a boat, trail the line behind the boat, at moderate speed, and WITHOUT anything tied on, for at least five minutes. Then, reel the line back on under SOME tension. repeat as needed. OR...using a high-quality ball-bearing snap swivel, attach a LIPLESS crank, such as a Rat'L'Trap or Diamond Shad and troll it at moderate speed until the twist is gone. Stop the boat to retrieve the lure so as not to pack the line on too tight."

Read, Sneed!

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-07, 11:41 PM   #11
wargoth

LOL, Missed that for some odd reason Flyguy... guess my brain edited that out for no good reason.
Old 08-13-07, 11:52 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Don't worry, its happens to the best of us, and even, me, the best of the best sometimes..

Old 08-14-07, 12:14 AM   #13
wargoth

Hey 144, we need to hook up sometime, as I notice you are (semi) local to me. I gots a few fun holes round these parts, and hate flying solo.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.