Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-14-09, 12:08 PM   #1
RudeSechsVibe
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Swivel Drop Shot weights

Hey, could you tell me where I could find the weights Kevin used in his video? Gander Mountian and BPS do not seem to carry them.

Thanks!
RudeSechsVibe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 12:29 PM   #2
Kevin
Administrator

Definitely stick with the Tungsten drop shot weights. The best ones are made by River2Sea and Kanji. Either will work perfectly for you.

River2Sea Tungsten Tear Drop Shot Weight:
http://www.tacklewarehouse.com/descp...TERM-RSTD.html

Kanji Tungsten Drop Shot Weights:
http://www.basstackledepot.com/kanji...otweights.aspx
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 02:18 PM   #3
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not to hijack the thread, but could you refresh my memory, Kevin? What exactly is better about these drop shot weights over using a simple dipsey swivel weight, other than the tungsten? I'm starting to incorporate drop-shotting into my repertoire more and I'm curious.
Old 10-14-09, 03:40 PM   #4
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

In my mind the tungsten isn't worth it. Just because in rocks and other things u snag so many.
Old 10-14-09, 03:49 PM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Nofear, the advantage to the special swivel is that when hung up on something, the line with pull out of the swivel, or the swivel will cut the line and that saves the rest of your rig. If you tie it, you more of a chance that that knot will break or the knot at the hook will break, or anywhere else.

mojo, I also don't think tungsten is worth it when it comes to dropshot. I lose too many dropshot weights to afford tungsten ones, so I use lead.

you can find them at www.tacklewarehouse.com

But I know BPS has them. They have their own brand of them.

BB
Old 10-14-09, 04:14 PM   #6
Kevin
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Not to hijack the thread, but could you refresh my memory, Kevin? What exactly is better about these drop shot weights over using a simple dipsey swivel weight, other than the tungsten?
Well the tungsten is the major selling point for the "best" drop shot weight. It's much smaller than lead.. and one thing you want to avoid when fishing the drop shot is drawing attention to your sinker. If bass see a big sinker moving around below the bait, it will sometimes make them weary and freak them out a bit. Not to mention you get better feel with tungsten.

Beyond the tungsten advantage, the swivels on these drop shot weights by Kanji or River2Sea perform better than the dipsey swivel because the "true inline" nature of the knot (or wedge) to the actual point of swiveling. The dipsey swivel is offset a bit. It probably doesn't make a big difference in freshwater, but I've seen a difference with larger 5oz+ sinkers in saltwater and am making a blanketed opinion.

Anthony is dead-on about the advantage of being able to wedge the weight onto the line, as opposed to having to tie it directly. Beyond the fact you can break-off and not have to retie the whole rig (you only have to put on a new sinker), one more other advantage is the fact that you can remove the sinker quickly and easily after you caught a fish, because more often than not, your drop shot rig will become a tangled up mess after landing a fish, and many times being able to quickly and temporarily remove the weight to untangle the mess is an added benefit.
Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-09, 04:26 PM   #7
nofearengineer

Hmmm....I guess if I was snagged up to the point of 100% losing the sinker, getting the hook back could be a small compensation.

My head is swimming though about the implications of deliberately throwing 5 oz of tungsten into the ocean at a time. My mama taught me not to throw money away.
Old 10-14-09, 06:04 PM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

The dropshot weights' swivel also lets you change weight to hook lengths easily. I never use the overhand knot in the line after the sinker, so all I have to do it pull the line down out of the clip and then I can move the sinker to change the depth.

BB
Old 10-16-09, 01:50 PM   #9
Baron49
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Hmmm....I guess if I was snagged up to the point of 100% losing the sinker, getting the hook back could be a small compensation.

My head is swimming though about the implications of deliberately throwing 5 oz of tungsten into the ocean at a time. My mama taught me not to throw money away.
I have to agree....I cannot find any reason to use expensive tungsten weights over plain old lead ones for dropshotting, especially in snaggy waters.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.