Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-09-06, 09:38 AM   #1
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Trolling Motor Help!!!!

Not sure how to explain whats happening/going on, but I went out yesterday & I was not able to turn/get my trolling motor to go to the left using the hot foot, I can turn my trolling motor all the around going to the right with the hot foot, but when I try to turn it & go left it will not allow me to???
What I mean by it wont allow me is that the pedal of the hot foot is mashed all the way down so it wont go any further, but when you look at the red dot to see what direction your going it is barely going left.
I went out last weekend & everything was fine, could I have knocked it out of wack somehow, trolling motor still runs great & the shaft isnt bent the dern thing just will not allow me to go left, its like the shaft has been twisted to the right, if that makes sense

I would really appreciate any help or suggestions
Cmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-06, 10:49 AM   #2
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry for the double post but he word I was thinking of just came to mind, it is like the trolling motor is off centered if that makes sense, because it will turn all the way around when going to the right, but when you try & go left the hot foot is already mashed/pushed all the way down
Old 06-10-06, 12:52 PM   #3
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

umm hot foot control is a throttle linkage system. to your outboard..

odds are it is a minnkota a cable -push pull sytem-may have come off or broke. been there done this with a minn.

if it is a moterguide. they use push pull system with steel rods look at your foot pedal flip it over and see if the push/pull connection has either broke or unconnected.. what happens when you hit a nother boat wave while running the foot pedel bangs off the deck this contact will break stuff or unhook it. highly recomend- if you don't have one get it- the steel bottom plate for the moterguide..

zooker
Old 06-12-06, 09:25 AM   #4
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

zooker, thanks for the reply, it is/was a Minn Kota, went out this weekend & it died on me, battery had full charge but the trolling motor went ka-put.
I am buying a new one when I get paid, I needed to get a new one anyway as the thrust on mine was only a 45 (it was on the boat when purchased) & I have a 17ft glass boat. I am actually kind of glad it went ka-put , now I have a reason to get the one I have been wanting for awhile now & the wife cant complain since the other one is not working.

I was thinking of a 70-75 lb thrust & I HAVE TO HAVE the auto pilot , right I mean come on if your going to spend all that $$$ mise well get the one you want right???

Anyways any of you have any suggestions on brand's trolling motors, I know there are going to difference of opinons, but I am open for suggestions so long as it is 70-75 lbs of thrust & it has the auto pilot
Old 06-13-06, 07:16 AM   #5
1FASTLASER
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The tour edition Motor Guide has been a very reliable troller for me. The Minn Kota is just as good as the Motor Guide. The reason I prefer the Motor guide is because I have fished them for years and the gator mount has been one of the best made IMHO. Personally I would reconsider the auto pilot option as it is just another piece of ELECTRONIC's that could cause a problem on your boat. The push-pull cable sytem will give you YEARS of service with little PM on your part.
Old 06-13-06, 10:52 AM   #6
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Laser, the only reason I was looking at the auto pilot feature was because the wind keeps blowing me off course, but when I move up to the bigger thrust 70 or 75 lbs in lieu of the current 45 lbs, will this stop the wind from blowing me around so much??? If it does then I probably will reconsider this feature, the only reason i was looking at the auto pilot was because I was spending more time fighting the wind & trolling motor, than I was actually fishing
Old 06-13-06, 05:37 PM   #7
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

what kind of boat do you have?
Old 06-14-06, 06:22 AM   #8
1FASTLASER

One good rule of thumb when buying a trolling motor. You can never have to much trolling motor. Trust me. And yes the bigger troller with the higher thrust will control your boat much better even in the wind. Even at that some boats because of there freeboard still have some problems with the wind. What boat ya running bud????
Old 06-16-06, 08:37 AM   #9
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey Bassingtom & Laser, sorry for the no response last 2days I have been out sick & I couldnt remember my blinking password so I could reply from home.

I have a 2001 Javelin Venom & I currently have a 45 lb thrust.
Old 06-17-06, 06:17 AM   #10
1FASTLASER

Definatley go with at least 75lbs of thrust. On boats of 18ft or more I highly dont recommend anything less than this. Reason being that your troller works easier from the higher thrust therefore allowing the troller to last much longer and the same applies to the batteries. Move the boat easier = troller and bats last alot longer.
Old 06-17-06, 02:54 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Cmac-I have a 17-6 Nitro that had a 43 lb Motorguide. Upgraded to a 24 v 71 lb Motorguide and it makes a world of difference. If you do upgrade I'd also recommend getting a Kipawa prop. Makes salad out of weeds, won't clog up and uses less battery. I got one on Bassintom's recommendation and Zooker has one, too. I wouldn't want to use any other prop. Motorguide came out with one recently that looks the same, but I'll stick with the original.
Old 06-17-06, 06:27 PM   #12
zooker

i still have the original it kicks bass buddy i switch to any time i am heading in to tuckertown lake the hydrilla is a true pain in the butt .. them props hack, chop, chew, claw, there way thru. you might have a wad of weeds around the shaft but the troller is still moving you..

zooker
Old 06-19-06, 09:51 AM   #13
Cmac
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for everyones help, I was hoping a bigger thrust would make a world of difference!!!!
Old 06-19-06, 10:37 AM   #14
HOG Ranger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I had the auto-pilot and hated it. After many years of the cable style trolling motors I did not like the control or feel of the electronic foot controls. Probably in time it would become second nature but sold it and went back to the cable style.

On my Ranger I have a 74 pound thrust Minn-Kota and it pushes the boat along fine.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.