Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-16-10, 03:03 PM   #1
jbiasin
BassFishin.Com Member

Smile texas rigs, thoughts on best methods and retrieval

I am new to bass fishing and am finding most sucess with freewieghting a texas rigged trigger x curly tail worm. 90% of the bass I have cought in the last three weeks have come off this using a stop and go retrieve. I cast the line and let the worm hit the bottom ....this is when about half of my strikes accur. I then drag the worm about four feet and let it sit. This is what has been working for me, I was wondering what methods some of you other guys are using. Please share for I am just learing how to bass fish!
jbiasin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-10, 03:18 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use the same technique as well sometimes. and sometimes i will make shorter hops, or quicker hops if oyu understand. cast it out, let it sink to the bottom. then little hops and longer hops alternating the pauses and hops. making it look like it is searching for something to eat. when i am using lizzards i TRY to imitate a lizzard who is searching for some eggs to eat. try to alternate you dragging of the worm or lizard or plastic. sometimes going slower is good too. especially when it starts to get really hot.
Old 06-16-10, 06:17 PM   #3
Bassboss

All ready a thread, or basically the same. Check it out man!

http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...ad.php?t=24359
Old 06-16-10, 09:00 PM   #4
BassFeverJohn
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbiasin View Post
I am new to bass fishing and am finding most sucess with freewieghting a texas rigged trigger x curly tail worm. 90% of the bass I have cought in the last three weeks have come off this using a stop and go retrieve. I cast the line and let the worm hit the bottom ....this is when about half of my strikes accur. I then drag the worm about four feet and let it sit. This is what has been working for me, I was wondering what methods some of you other guys are using. Please share for I am just learing how to bass fish!
I like to cast it out and hit bottom, let it sit maybe 15 seconds then raise the rod tip and tick, tick, tick it. I leave it sit a few seconds and repeat, reeling up the slack as I go. I also vary it between that and dragging is a few feet.

My other favorite method is to just drag it a few feet at a time with a pause in between. Pretty much what you just described... lol

I also like to do a faster jerk, jerk, jerk retrieve.

I have caught the most fish using the first style. I also tend to use straight worms, not had a ton of luck with curly tails.
Old 06-17-10, 10:37 AM   #5
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I normally use the lightest weight I can get away with. I use the lightest weight that keeps me in contact with the bottom.

I cast it out and let it sink to the bottom, watching for bites during the fall. I let it sit for a few seconds before I drag it across the bottom by raising or sweeping my rod. Then let it sit for a couple more seconds and drag it again. Repeat this back to the boat/shore. If I run into a patch of weeds, I pop the t-rig out of the weeds, almost like you would a lipless crank and then let it sit a few second right afterwards.

BB
Old 06-17-10, 11:07 AM   #6
WaffleJaw
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

The only thing I can think to add is to keep your rod tip pointed at the bait...This will help with slack,control,and overall presentation on rises and falls.I typically do slow rises and falls with stick baits and more twitching with curly tails and creatures

Last edited by WaffleJaw; 06-17-10 at 11:17 AM.
WaffleJaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-10, 11:23 AM   #7
DaveW731
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default When all else fails

All of the techniques mentioned above are great. If none of them work, I try using it like a plastic jerkbait, pulling it just fast enough to keep it "swimming" and then twitching it once in a while.
DaveW731 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 05:05 PM   #8
geezer1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Sounds to me like you're doing pretty good with what you're doing. Why screw with success? That happens to be one of my wife's favorite ways to fish a worm & she's kicked my butt with it many times.
geezer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-10, 06:58 PM   #9
Cavs1123
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Try giving it some hard jerks then a long pause then more jerks

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.