Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-22-10, 03:04 AM   #1
Old Hooker
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Question Optimax or 4 stroke?

I need advice guys. I'm looking to buy a new Stratos 186XT in the spring. It's rated for a max of 115 hp and my local dealer will put whatever brand name I want on it, so I was looking at a Merc. But, like the title says, Optimax or 4 stroke? What's the pros and cons of each? I don't know much about either design, so let's just assume I'm dumb as a post about boat motors here. Thanks!
Old 09-22-10, 09:06 AM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

4-strokes are quieter at idle, and don't require the addition of oil to the gasoline. So if you were to have a small 4-stroke kicker motor, you wouldn't need two separate fuel systems; you could run from the same tank.

2-strokes generally have more low-end power, are noisier, but don't require the changing of oil (still have to change gearcase lube of course).

I own a 2005 115 Optimax, and mine is about as bulletproof as they come. Starts instantly, doesn't smoke, and gets incredible fuel mileage (probably right up there with 4-strokes). It has a nice growl to it at WOT...which I don't mind, but other people might. Great motor.
Old 09-22-10, 09:53 AM   #3
Old Hooker

Another issue: it appears the 2 stroke motors are going away due to EPA regulations. Most web sites don't even mention them anymore. Is the Optimax facing extinction too?
Old 09-22-10, 12:20 PM   #4
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Most of the Optimax outboards are Carb 3-star rated (a couple are only 2-Star rated). This is basically what you need to be able to be sold in California...just one more reason to hate those bastards.

Actually, I just got off of Mercury's website and found out they are no longer making the 175 Optimax. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad news for me. My boat is max rated for a 175, and I really hoped someday to get a 175 Opti. If they dropped the model because they couldn't make it California-compliant, that could be good, as they might sort of end up on clearance. Otherwise I might have to settle for a 150 or get another outboard type.
Old 09-23-10, 04:39 PM   #5
walkeraviator
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Optimax or 4stroke????

hmm...

my answer...

E-Tec...

Best part about owning a Merc is you are always legal with Coast Guard for having an anchor on board... Just bustin your balls man... I am a 'Rude guy just like I prefer Chevy to Ford... but Mrec's arent bad...

Last edited by walkeraviator; 09-23-10 at 04:51 PM.
walkeraviator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-10, 05:30 PM   #6
nmanley

Send a message via Yahoo to nmanley

Spoke with the game warden on Lake Eufaula back in May and he had this heavy duty 17 foot aluminum boat with a 115 Merc 4 stroke and it push that boat pretty darn good from what I saw of it. He said he hasn't had to fill it up in the last three weekends on the big lake.

I wouldn't be shy about getting a new 4 stroke and enjoy not having to buy 2 smoke oil.
Old 09-23-10, 06:58 PM   #7
Embrey
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Most of the Optimax outboards are Carb 3-star rated (a couple are only 2-Star rated). This is basically what you need to be able to be sold in California...just one more reason to hate those bastards.

Actually, I just got off of Mercury's website and found out they are no longer making the 175 Optimax. I'm not sure whether this is good or bad news for me. My boat is max rated for a 175, and I really hoped someday to get a 175 Opti. If they dropped the model because they couldn't make it California-compliant, that could be good, as they might sort of end up on clearance. Otherwise I might have to settle for a 150 or get another outboard type.
just get a 200 ...
Embrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 05:46 AM   #8
walkeraviator

My take on 4 stroke.... The maintenance schedules keep them in teh shop a lot from what i understand. And teh E-Tec is almost as fuel efficient as a 4 stroke and to satisfy teh tree huggers has about the same emissions... the 2 stroke will definitely out perform any 4 stroke on the market (except teh new SHO from yamaha)... and they weigh less than a 4 stroke...

If i were in the market for a new outboard E-Tec would be the top of my list... i am just curious what rude's 4 stroke will be like once the 2strokes go teh way of the DoDo...

Also appears the optimax is 25lbs lighter than teh 4stroke... not sure how much 5lbs will change things... but something else to consider...

Lastly... click this link and see how pretty the 186XT look siwth teh E-Tec 115HO on it...
http://www.evinrude.com/en-US/Engine...HO/ETEC_115_HO

Last edited by walkeraviator; 09-24-10 at 06:00 AM.
Old 09-24-10, 08:02 AM   #9
tarpon120

I have a stratos 285 proxl, dual console with a Yamaha 150 four stroke and I love it. The only maintenace I do is change the oil, plugs and water pump yearly as suggested by my boat mechanic. Gas consumption is great even at wot and will run 63gps while loaded and another person in boat. It is quiet and there is no doubt about cranking, no bulb squezzing just turn the key. I would go four stroke again without even considering a two stroke. Just put gas in it and go.
Just my opinion.
tarpon120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-10, 09:57 AM   #10
Old Hooker

So, just to make sure I'm clear on this. The Optimax and E-TEC are basically 2 strokes with direct injection instead of carbs, right?
Old 09-24-10, 02:31 PM   #11
walkeraviator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Hooker View Post
So, just to make sure I'm clear on this. The Optimax and E-TEC are basically 2 strokes with direct injection instead of carbs, right?
Correct... and contrary to what is said a lot out there... there is NO ban in teh works for 2 stroke outboards. The EPA has simply set an emissions standard that follows CARB guidelines nationwide. At present Direct Injection 2-strokes actually are on par with 4 strokes in the emissions department.
Old 09-24-10, 04:11 PM   #12
Captmikestarrett

I would look at the pro's and cons

4 stroke
pros: quiet/low torque/fuel efficent at low speeds/no oil to add/can handle new fuels
Cons: add 125lbs to back of boat/ not efficent at high speed/ lots of moving parts/ change the oil and fuel filter every year

2 stroke HPDPI (high presure direct port injection)
pros: fast/ mid torque/ fuel efficent at all ranges/ lighter than most / few moving parts
Cons: expensive frigging oil/does not like any water in fuel/ when it breaks it really breaks.

Capt Mike
Old 10-04-10, 08:26 PM   #13
Old Hooker

Now for the big question. How do the E-TECs/OPTIMAXs compare to the 4 strokes in price? So far I really like what I have researched on the E-TEC.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.