Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-23-06, 03:27 PM   #1
bassbooger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Spark Problem on my motor

Alright fellas, I need a little bit of help if anyone can offer up some expertise. My motor is crapping out on me. I have a 1973 Johnson 20hp tiller handle with manual start. Here is the issue. I gave this thing a tune-up back in November and has been running fine all winter. The other day I take it out and it fires up just fine as usual. Go to turn down the throttle from cranking and it dies, which really puzzles me because it hasn't done this in 2 years. Motor would not crank again. I got it home and checked the plugs, even changed them both out without any success. Pulled both plugs to check for spark and neither one are getting spark all of the time. They will get spark on every 4th or 5th pull and that is it. Any other time, there is no spark. I checked the wires and noticed that my ground wire that ground the armature plate to the motor had broken loose. I reconnected it, but didn't help. Would this thing breaking cause my condensors or coils to burn out? I plan on doing a tune up and changing my plug wires. If anyone can think of anything else I can do, or what I could possibly check before i go spend money on this stuff for nother, then please feel free to help me out. Thanks!!
Old 05-23-06, 03:35 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

A faulty ground wire can knock out a condensor. Had a mower do the same thing.

Capt Mike
Old 05-23-06, 07:02 PM   #3
bass kicker

ya i would try replacing the plug wires that could be your problem

( i just ripped apart one of those motors in december and we tested the wires and they were only sparking once every ten times
Old 05-23-06, 07:06 PM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i think the coil/condesnser are all in one unit on them. can't remember but i belive there is 2 condensers. if i was you buy 2 replace one and try again. if not replace both. i had 2 of them omc's one the fuel pump went out -15 miles off shore- and the other is still running like a top..

zooker
Old 05-23-06, 07:28 PM   #5
bassbooger

The coils are seperate form the condensors. I found an article on the net today about how to tet all that equipment with a multimeter to see what is bad. I'm going to do that and maybe I can find out exactly what is bad.
Old 05-24-06, 01:26 AM   #6
fishin fool
BassFishin.Com Member

Possibly the stator also.
fishin fool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-06, 06:57 AM   #7
1FASTLASER

Your going the correct way before you just start replacing things. A problem like you are explaining can have several fixes. Intermitent fire is one of the harder things to pinpoint. Run the tests according to the steps outlined. Normally but not always on the older points type motor's it in fact is the stator causing problems which I hope its not. Let us know what you find and/or need some more help and I can be more specific.
Old 05-24-06, 09:01 AM   #8
bassbooger

Ok guys, call me a dummy if you want to and correct me if I'm wrong, but I don't think that motor has a stator on it. I looked at all my diagrams for one and can't find one listed anywhere for that year. It has coil/lamination packs on the armature plate, but no stator anywhere. I tested the condensors with a mult-meter and they are doing exactly what they are supposed to and that is holding a charge. Now I'm going to change the wires and see what I get. Only problem is have to wait until Friday when I get paid before I can buy anything. I'll give updates and post when I get it fixed and what was wrong. That way if anyone has the same problem in the future they will have an idea of what to check and replace.
Old 05-25-06, 05:57 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

BassBooger

Hmmmmmm........Reread the intial post and I put my fingers in motion before offering help. Will get back to ya this eveing or in the morning on what to look for. Gotta dig out the motor manuls.
Old 06-12-06, 11:17 PM   #10
treehugger8
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to treehugger8

Its prolly the magneto goin out on it. If it is good luck finding one for it!! lol hope that helps
treehugger8 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.