Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-25-06, 07:35 AM   #26
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mnavarro
how do yall feel about 20lbs test braided line on a baitcaster for just an all around do everything line?
I would actually use a higher pound test on the Powerpro, because of the line diameter. I use 30lb or 50lb myself. I beleive Powerpro is a great all around line for baitcasters or spinning reels. I think the 20lb would be better for the spinning reels personally.

By the way I have yet to have 30 lb or any other pound test of Powerpro just break. It has either been scuffed, shredded, or just plain old worn out. "IF" they did have a bad batch of 30lb line I never got any of it.

Lizards
Old 03-25-06, 12:12 PM   #27
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Yeah 30# means 30 pound test. The # is called the pound key (at least here in Florida)
Old 03-25-06, 08:49 PM   #28
bass kicker

thanks i was just wondering
Old 03-26-06, 09:49 AM   #29
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

one thing i found out using braid is if you are dragging around in rocks it will fray the line just like mono. if you broke the line on hook set you probly never retied it. just like mono retie it every now and again. during the day of fishing..

zooker
Old 03-26-06, 08:53 PM   #30
flbassman

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
thanks i was just wondering
No problem. Do they call it a pound key in the great white north?
Old 03-27-06, 09:21 PM   #31
Jive Turkey
BassFishin.Com Member

I use the 20# Powerpro on a 7' ML/XFast river smallie spinning rod, and I think just last year I had broken off 4x on the hookset, because of skuffed line and failure to retie. The areas I fish are 1-6' deep, and full of granite riprap, which are usually covered in wood that floated downstream.
All the breaks came within 15 minutes after sundown, when the 1/8th oz buzzbait bite was on. I found it hard to stop and retie, in the dark, with a hot bite that only lasts 15 minutes and regularly lands 5-10 fired up 12-20" smallies on topwaters. Wouldn't you?
Other than these after-dark mistakes, I have never had any problems with the 20# PowerPro.
Jive Turkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-06, 10:53 PM   #32
dodgeguy
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

you also have to watch out because there is fake powerpro being sold out there.powerpro has the warning on their website.
Old 03-28-06, 05:34 AM   #33
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by bass kicker
what are you talking about when you say 30#

does it just mean 30 lb test
Yep! The symbol "#" also means pound. Just like when you're on the phone with a copmuter operator and they say, "enter your account number and then pound." It wants you to hit the # (aka number symbol) key.

Back to braid:

If braid breaks on your hook set and you know that a frayed line is not the culprit, then perhaps the hook set was too hard. Braid's near zero stretch must be taken into account on the hook set.

Because braid has little (not zero) stretch, it will tend to break because their is little else other than the rod to absorb the rest of the shock.

When you set the hook, use just enough force to drive the hook home. Anything more than that is excessive and unnecessary.

Mnavarro,

I'd recommend going up to at least 30# braid. 20# braid is very thin and unless your reel was designed for lighter lines, you might experience more frequently irritating traits of braid like line dig and the plain old fact that BC reels don't usually fare well with lighter lines. Good luck!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.