Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-09, 06:28 PM   #1
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

Default compartment lids

i bought an old 74 ranger and i am just starting to fix it up. I have all the old carpet out but i want to make some changes before i recarpet. All of the compartment lids are raised up. I would like to end up with a flat standing surace when i am done. Is my best bet to use plywood and make all new lids? The compartments all have "lips" on them that the lids go over. If i cut them off and have the wood lying flat on the deck do you think i will get alot of splashing out from the livewells? Also i guess i will need to coat the underside of the lids so they dont rot. What should i use? I bought this boat thinking i could buy a couple new seats and some carpet and would be on the water in no time. Boy, was I wrong. Still i bought the boat, trailer, trolling motor, and 70hp envirude(that needs a tune-up pretty bad) for 550. I still think i got a good deal.
motorhead0320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 06:33 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i would think that cutting the lips off the livewell is a bad thing pal. now this is just me, but if i were you, i would try to restore it to original as much as possible. i know it a 74 model. but it seems to me it would be well worth the effort and possibly worth more in the future to restore this to original. i have been looking at an old ranger, don't know the year, just for this reason. maybe one day i will go and ask if it is for sale.
anyway, just my worthless 2 cents worth. i just hate to see a boat get butchered up.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-09, 06:35 PM   #3
zooker

some of them you may have to use plywood. probly the best set up i saw was some custom aluminum hatch lids.. it would weigh less than ply wood and never rot.. find a metal fab shop and see what they say..

zooker
Old 01-30-09, 06:59 PM   #4
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i definetly dont plan to spend the time or money to restore this thing to factory condition. I can respect those who do though. Maybe i can reuse the lids that are there and somehow build up the areas around them to make it flatter. When i put this thing in the water to see if it would float it just i just had a a vision of me or a buddy tripping on them and falling in. The new ones must come with flat decks for a reason, right?

This isnt mine but its the same model.
http://bbcboards.zeroforum.com/zerothread?id=261233
Old 01-30-09, 09:33 PM   #5
barkelypup
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I would just put extra padding under the carpet. Then put some type of pull strap on the compartment lid. If you cut the lip off it will damage the integrety of the fiberglass assuming it is fiber glass. Drilling a hole is not nearly as bad as cutting the lip off. I had a 74 Rock Island Ranger. Does your boat look like this? Thing was sturdy as a rock. and the 135 'rude ran it out about 40 mph. Does your boat look like this and do you have any pictures? It was great. Pull a skier and the whole works.

bP
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ranger 1.jpg
Views:	462
Size:	50.4 KB
ID:	3082   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger 2.jpg
Views:	453
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	3083   Click image for larger version

Name:	ranger 3.jpg
Views:	457
Size:	51.3 KB
ID:	3084   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ranger 4.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	3085  
barkelypup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-09, 11:43 AM   #6
motorhead0320
BassFishin.Com Member

i will be taking some pics this afternoon. Today i am going to start sanding to remove all the old glue that left. I am alos making a trip to a local boat dealer to look at new boats to get some ideas and see what kind of hardware they have in stock. I cant wai to get this thing out on the water. Still have to take it in to get the motor serviced. Cant wait to see that bill. Motor seems to idle fine but when i raise the throttle it almost seems to flood out or drop a cylinder. Works fine in the front yard, but once their is resistance from the water is doesn't run as well.
Old 01-31-09, 11:45 AM   #7
bamabassman

post up some pics motorhead, show the progress ok?
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.