Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-18-10, 06:36 PM   #1
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

Default another question

I hope im not getting on anyones nerves.I just got a ton of questions and noone to ask except you folks.
How do i tell between a male and female largemouth?
When they start bedding ,who makes the beds?Where do they make them at?What do i look for to be good at fishing on the beds.
I fish a stained lake.Not clear.Thanks for all your help
chris
orcpr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 06:40 PM   #2
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Welcome to the site. We're more than happy to help, but please, do avoid loooooong posts with a ton of information, do a little research yourself. There's a ton of info available online, so that would be your best bet. if you can't find anything on a specific subject, feel free to ask. Just meet us halfway, is all I'm saying.

http://www.venturenorth.com/tlca/basslm.htm
Old 02-18-10, 06:50 PM   #3
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

Was my post to long?Is there guidlines to posting that i should read or know about?My post was only about two words longer than yours.You might wanna do a little research on netiquette.
Anyway,I was looking for tips.Ive read the site you listed before you posted,Along with others.Ive done a little research,just didnt know if there was something that REAL LIFE anglers knew that I needed to.Thats why i posted on this section of the board.For novices,yep thats me.O yeah kinda just making conversation with other anglers, something that i thought was ok to do here.
Thanks
Chris

Last edited by orcpr; 02-18-10 at 07:07 PM.
Old 02-18-10, 07:12 PM   #4
MississippiBoy

No, your post wasn't too long, but if I'd tried to answer all your questions, I would've written a book. What I'm trying to say is, Google is your friend. I bet you could probably find a video on Youtube about how to tell the difference between a male and a female largemouth.
Also, the "Search" function on this forum is your friend: http://bassfishin.com/bassfishingfor...hlight=bedding

I'm not really trying to bust your chops, I'm just trying to get you to see that there's much easier and faster ways to get the info you're looking for.
Old 02-18-10, 07:19 PM   #5
carolina-rig-01
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by orcpr View Post
Was my post to long?Is there guidlines to posting that i should read or know about?My post was only about two words longer than yours.You might wanna do a little research on netiquette.
Anyway,I was looking for tips.Ive read the site you listed before you posted,Along with others.Ive done a little research,just didnt know if there was something that REAL LIFE anglers knew that I needed to.Thats why i posted on this section of the board.For novices,yep thats me.O yeah kinda just making conversation with other anglers, something that i thought was ok to do here.
Thanks
Chris
Calm down there Chris, I think Mississippiboy meant to say "to avoid long post" instead of "do avoid long post". This is because so often a vague question like this will get side tracked and the post will get filled up with a bunch of talk about stuff that has nothing to do with the original question that started the whole thing or there is so much information posted that it becomes overwhelming. Again, at the risk of putting words in Mississippiboys mouth I think he was just saying that if you do a little research you can ask more specific questions which usually help keep a post from wondering off into left field. A lot of times there are a few subjects that tend to resurface every so often so you can always use the search bar on this site to see if something has already been discussed before posting, it just helps keep the forum a lot cleaner and it saves people from having to look through things that have been discussed over and over to find new topics to take part in. There is nothing wrong with asking questions if you can't find any answers by searching on your own, that is what this site is all about, and there is nothing wrong with striking a conversation with fellow anglers either because we all like to talk fishing. I hope I cleared this up for you, welcome to the site, and feel free to ask for help when you need to.
Old 02-18-10, 07:19 PM   #6
WaffleJaw

Chris....,Mississippi wasnt trying to say your post was too long.....I think you misunderstood...On these forums alot of the same questions get repeated ,and repeated so most likely your question has been ask before...and the search will open a sea of information for you....He was just trying to help ya out.

Welcome to the fourm,though! We do have a ton of great people here that have great info to share.

W
Old 02-18-10, 07:20 PM   #7
carolina-rig-01

See what happens when your wife calls you in the middle of a post? I had to stop typing and before I got back to it Mississippiboy beat me to the reply. Oh well life goes on.
Old 02-18-10, 07:21 PM   #8
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina-rig-01 View Post
See what happens when your wife calls you in the middle of a post? I had to stop typing and before I got back to it Mississippiboy beat me to the reply. Oh well life goes on.

Work had that same affect too..lol
Old 02-18-10, 07:25 PM   #9
cassidyta

Chris,

You are not getting on anyone's nerves. We are just trying to point out the available resources.

Here is another link that discusses the spawn.
http://www.bassresource.com/fish_biology/lgseason.html
Old 02-18-10, 10:07 PM   #10
orcpr
BassFishin.Com Member

Sorry,shouldnt have took offence.Long day.No harm no foul.Should have took a deap breath.
thanks
chris
Old 02-18-10, 10:36 PM   #11
Rebbasser

No worries, amigo. Ask away!

To answer your question, there isn't a way to tell the difference by looking. The females are bigger, but only a biologist-or another bass-can tell for sure.
Old 02-18-10, 10:44 PM   #12
TN_Bassin

Well as a general rule of thumb, not always accurate, but can usually distinguish between Male and Female is that Females tend to be shorter, from top of their dorsal to the bottom of their belly, proportional to their legnth , from mouth to tail. The opposite is gennerally true for males. Another way to distinguish, is weight. When a largemouth grows to be 5 pounds or larger, it is a good bet it is a female. Of course there are exceptions to every rule.

As for your bedding question, the females scout and find a location to make their bed. The females construct the bed. And when the eggs are laid the females will retreat to deep water to rejuvenate, this time is when a bass is most vulnerable to other predators (predator includes me). During this rejuvenation period the female will eat very little, if at all. When the female leaves, the ma,e will stick around to guard the bed from bluegill, crawfish, salamanders, and anything else that will eat eggs (usually these types of colors of lures will produce more). The male usually sticks around just long enough for the eggs to hatch, then after that he abandons the bed and goes on a feeding frenzy on any nearby fry, baby bass.

As far as what to look for when fishing beds. A tell tale sign in my book a female is on bed is when she is in such shallow water her back is out of the water a good 2-3 inches

Last edited by TN_Bassin; 02-18-10 at 10:52 PM.
TN_Bassin is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.