Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-12-11, 10:24 PM   #1
Fish30114
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Never say never--what do you use to cut a hook?

Well, I like several lures that have treble hooks, and am always careful when extracting them from fish, but the 3 lb LM I caught today got me! A fierce head thrashing despite a really good grip by me on him, drove the forward treble hook on a Rattletrap through my thumb. DAMN IT BOY!

It was a chore getting the fish off first--all three of the points on the rear treble were in his mouth at various points....I carry the Rapala Carbide Pro pliars, and a pair of Able's as well in my pack, well getting to the hook to cut it--had to push it through the rest of the way to get past the barb--was a real PITA, and with the Rapala's the cutter in the base of the jaws wouldn't cut the hook--brand new KVD treble by the way--and the Ables were simply too thick to get down to the curve in the hook to the cutters on those pliars....so...

Question is: What do you guys use to cut a HOOK when you need to? I'm figuring on putting some Klein sidecutters in my pack (and a backup pair in the truck) but just thought I'd ask...curiously enough, I was finally able to cut the hook with the smaller size pair of Carbide Pro pliars from Rapala that I had in my truck--the jaws are replaceable in those pliars, so I was hoping to find some new cutters for my larger pair--but that is a wild goose chase! At any rate, hope this never happens to anyone else--it isn't fun, like one of my friends says though, 'If your gonna be stupid, you better be tough!!'
Fish30114 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.