Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-11-09, 08:14 AM   #1
pinkbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via Yahoo to pinkbass
Default Another question

Ok, i got another question for ya. I have been using a bait caster for a while now........and i gotta tell you i like it,, but i am not seeing that much difference in my fishing when i use my spinning set up. Is there a reason to use 1 over the other??
Old 09-11-09, 08:23 AM   #2
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pinkbass View Post
Ok, i got another question for ya. I have been using a bait caster for a while now........and i gotta tell you i like it,, but i am not seeing that much difference in my fishing when i use my spinning set up. Is there a reason to use 1 over the other??
when u get good with a bc, it will be much more accurate. plus there just plain out frickin awesome=] spinning gear is for homos
Old 09-11-09, 08:25 AM   #3
Badfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishin spro View Post
when u get good with a bc, it will be much more accurate. plus there just plain out frickin awesome=] spinning gear is for homos

What is this Homo you speak of?
Badfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 09:01 AM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I think baitcasters are more versatile. They can cast heavier lures better, and are more accurate. You can use heavier line on baitcaster, and horse fish around better because they have stronger drags.

Spinning gear does have it place. Whatever I can't throw on a baitcaster I use a spinning reel for.

BB
Old 09-11-09, 09:26 AM   #5
Bassassinator
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Bassassinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
I think baitcasters are more versatile. They can cast heavier lures better, and are more accurate. You can use heavier line on baitcaster, and horse fish around better because they have stronger drags.

Spinning gear does have it place. Whatever I can't throw on a baitcaster I use a spinning reel for.

BB

Ok, now what couldn't you throw with a BC that you could with spinning gear?
Old 09-11-09, 09:39 AM   #6
MississippiBoy
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
A trick worm with a 1/0 or 2/0 hook, weightless. Or any small weightless plastic. Sure, you can throw them with a baitcaster....about 5 feet, with a backlash thrown in for fun.
Smaller lures, like little cranks or jerkbaits. They won't go far enough on a baitcaster to do anything.
Old 09-11-09, 09:49 AM   #7
WaffleJaw

I have to have both....the baitcaster is my main bread and butter.....it's debatable whether its more accurate of not....i think it is,but im still pretty precise with my spinning rigs....but i do feel that a BC is more versatile

a spinning rig is a must in the wind.....if its windy,i aint gonna fight it with a baitcaster....unless you wanna spend 1/2 an hour cutting line out.

i use my spinner reels for weightless wacky,small spinners,and light poppers.
I always take one with me when i go out.
Old 09-11-09, 11:40 AM   #8
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by MississippiBoy View Post
A trick worm with a 1/0 or 2/0 hook, weightless. Or any small weightless plastic. Sure, you can throw them with a baitcaster....about 5 feet, with a backlash thrown in for fun.
Smaller lures, like little cranks or jerkbaits. They won't go far enough on a baitcaster to do anything.
yep.

weightless plastics (not senkos), wacky rig (casting too hard will rip the senk off, and cause a backlash on a BC), dropshot, small cranks, small jerkbaits, small spinnerbaits, small jigs (1/8oz bitsy bug), 1/8oz buzzbaits, etc. Some I could probably throw on a BC, but just prefer a spinning (especially dropshot).

BB
Old 09-11-09, 12:54 PM   #9
islandbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassassinator View Post
Try a 1/16 oz rooster tail*

*Excludes Pixies and Chronarch Mgs

Pink Bass,

I am glad that you have realized early on that for many applications either reel type serves the angler very well. There are some techniques where one might excel over the other.

I love to use both types equally and the technique I am employing usually determines (but not always) which reel I will use.

There are some purists who will only use one reel type or the other and that is their prerogative. I don't have a problem with that at all. Shoot, why not use a butterknife to secure some flat head screws.

For me, I like to use spinning reels for any technique that I want the lure to drop more vertically vs. swinging back to me like a pendulum. This is one peeve I have about casting reels. You see, with lighter weighted baits, if you want to attain a more vertical fall for your lure, you have to strip off line with a casting reel. This is minor, but for some reason it irks me. With a spinning reel, as long as the bail is open, you bait will fall down more vertically with no extra effort from you.

I like to use casting reels for just about everything else down to 1/8 oz. The plus for casting reels is their convenience. Once you turn the handle the reel is engaged and you can start fishing immediately. With a spinning reel, I close the bail manually (100% of the time), then I ensure that my line has NO SLACK in it before I start the retrieve. If there is slack, I move my rod to the side or any other direction to remove that slack before I start the retrieve. Close bail, look down, move rod if necessary, retrieve... That is three steps vs. one with a casting rod.

If the day ultra windy??? Oh boy.. Combine that with non-aerodynamic lures and the performance of some casting reels is going to suffer. Put on a double-bladed spinnerbait and cast it into a very strong wind. If the reel isn't in the Citica class or better and not properly adjusted, forget it. Except in experienced hands, it could get ugly. However, a spinning reel is immune from this condition. They will not suffer regardless of how strong the wind is blowing.

There are other things to consider. For example, the typical bass sized spinning reel is probably not going to perform well the thicker the line gets. Also, the more wirey a line is the worse it will be on a spinning reel. I would not put any mono line greater than 10# test on a bass sized spinning reel. However, a casting reel will handle just about any line you put on it from about 8# test and up without a problem.

We could go on and on on the advatages and tradeoffs, but I think you get the point. As you gain experience using both types, you will develop the reel type you prefer for certain techniques. It would behoove you to be a master of both.

Last edited by islandbass; 09-11-09 at 02:26 PM. Reason: typos
islandbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 02:24 PM   #10
fishen green
BassFishin.Com Member

thnx guys my wife is a great person but like I would tell a friend it so important to learn what you like for your self in fact she has learned faster them many (well thats my help lol) but she is taking all your guys advice to heart again thnx
fishen green is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 02:59 PM   #11
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandbass View Post
Try a 1/16 oz rooster tail*

*Excludes Pixies and Chronarch Mgs
Aw cīmon IB, how come I canīt speak ībout my favorite light tackle favorite BCs ( you forgot to mention TDZ105H ) ?

Baitcasters are more accurate ---> not true, accuracy is something you achieve by practice and it is behind the rod handle.

Baitcasters cast farther ---> if you were competing on a casting distance contest then youīd better cast with a baitcaster, for the weekend warrior casting distance is about the same.

Spinning tackle can cast lighter baits ---> true to a certain point, but to get yourself a really good light bait BC you will have to shell out a lot more dough in order for it to do what a cheap spinning reel can cast.

Baicasters are more powerful ---> nonsense

Baitcasters have better drags ---> compared to which ? front drag spinning reels have drag pads as large as a bc, but if you compare to a rear drag spinning reel then it is true, rear drag spinning reels do have smaller pads.

Spinning reels twist the line ---> true but baitcasters backlash and thatīs the nature of the beast.

Spinning reels canīt handle heavier line than spool design allows them to ---> true, spool in heavier than specs line and it will jump out of the spool when you open the bail, that doesnīt happen with bcs.

One particular reason why I like my spinning reels is that I can cast without having to swing my arm and when you fish in close quarters that is a big advantage, canīt do that with a bc reel and obtain the same results.

Another reason why I like spinning reels, I developed tennis elbow in January, couldnīt cast well with a bc , it hurt like he11 ! , but I was able to fish until I fully recovered a month ago thanks to my spinning reels.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 04:34 PM   #12
Fishnngolfn

Yeah...what Raul said!!

For bank fishing, especially for those of us who like to crawl through some major brush and fish in between trees to get to that hidden cove, you need to be able to just flick your wrist to cast. You can't really do that with a baitcaster (successfully that is).

I use a spinning reel for all my weightless plastics. I am currently in the process of setting up certain baitcasters that I now have for specific applications - i.e. crankbaits, frogs, spinner baits, and buzzzzzbaits. I just need to know what types of rods will go best with each setup. I'm sloooooowly learning with the help of those more knowledgable on here.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-09, 05:56 PM   #13
islandbass

Alright, Raul, let's include the Pixies and like reels.
Old 09-11-09, 07:18 PM   #14
nofearengineer

I applaud Raul's response.

Having been converted to using baitcasters this year, I would be the last guy to put them down. However, I do get so tired of the hackneyed old "baitcasters are more accurate" line. Simply untrue. Accuracy is not a trait that is constrained in the reel, or any other physical hardware. Accuracy comes from the fisherman's ability and experience.

Baitcasters are stronger, lighter, and cast heavy lures better.

Spinning reels are easier for beginners, cast light lures better, and behave much better in the wind.

Accuracy isn't even a factor. Heck, even though I love my baitcasters, I'm still more accurate with a spinning reel. It's changing though. Won't be long before it'll be a tie.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.