Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-12, 10:09 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default am i doin this wrong. plus a bps extreme question

so my jerkbait rod and my topwater rods are both 6'6 and they are the only setups that do this, so i am certain that it is because of there leingh. anyway both rods when i give em a a cast, usally cast at the 10 O clock, back over my head. they fly at an angle like a torpedo and smack the water at a distance of mabye 6 feet in front of me. i have did the tention and brakes till i almost have a free spool, set the magnetics on 10 . both rods do this and this weekend both rods has gave me my worst lash ever, i had to cut them and reel spool. i usally never mess with the internal pin brakes and did it on the topwater reel but not sure which level, (the reel is an okuma krios) ps.... i have tried the under arm swing and a small toss and they all give me the same results, At first i though it was my casts, idk

second on the bps extreme, i same problem, i take the side plate and there are 6 little round metal circles all on one side, i am thinking these are internal brakes, i mash em and nothing happens, am i right and just doing it wrong, i picked this reel up without a box, so no help there,
Old 03-18-12, 10:30 PM   #2
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

What kind of rods are they? I don't mean brand, but is the lure weight in the specs of the rod. I used to have the same trouble trying to throw torpedos or pop-rs with rods that are too stiff. If the bait isn't heavy enough to flex the rod, that could be the problem.

I think I know what you are talking about with the extreme, but I don't own on. Maybe one of the reel guys will chime in with some more help.
Old 03-18-12, 10:37 PM   #3
wallywallace

man i hope i dont need new rods, my topwater is a MH fast action avid croix, i got an amzing killer deal on it i want to use it so bad, and the other is just a cheap quatum torso, go it for like 10 at wally world, it is a M fast.. and i was throwing somewhat light lures, topwater had a skeeter pop, not sure the oz it a was light lure, and the torso was throwing a xrap, descent size but it is a medium rod, if.. i can live with a new jerkbait rod, but i really wanted to use the avid for topwaters, it is just a killer rod
Old 03-18-12, 11:13 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Wally, I'm inclined to agree with Bubba-sounds like the lure you are throwing is too light for the rod.

It has been my experience a MH rod works better with a heavier bait. It may not the best choice for topwaters but would be a fantastic worm/jig rod or spinnerbait rod.
Old 03-18-12, 11:16 PM   #5
pro reel

The 6 round metal things are magnets. mashing them will just break the housing they sit in. Turning the knob on the side cover moves them closer or further from the spool to control the strength of magnetic resistence.

Your rods have nothing to do with what is happening. You are simply letting off the spool to late. The baits you are using are heavy enough to be cast with casting gear on a heavy rod. They would be easier to cast on lighter rods. You simply need to learn how to set the reel up and practice.
pro reel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-12, 11:22 PM   #6
Tavery5

I agree with Kevin, as painful as it may be to hear, it sounds like user error. Slow down, make sure you understand your equipment and how to set it up properly. Take the time to understand what the spool tension, magnetic and centrifugal brake settings affect, and how and when to adjust them.

Once you have your equipment setup properly, concentrate on making smooth easy casts, you should be able to easily reach 25-30 yards with either of those setups.
Old 03-18-12, 11:25 PM   #7
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

IMO you really don't need to go all out for top water rods because you are fishing by sighting the strike and not by feel. But I think you might have too much back bone for what what you are throwing. Try tying up a heavier top water like a spook if you have one or a crank bait and test it in the yard.

I do agree with ProReel too though. Not to knock your skills, but it can be casted on heavier rods, but you have to know the grasshopper flow to make it happen. I use the same blank for my worm rod and throw 1/16oz/4" worms with it. It took some dialing in, but it can happen.

Last edited by Bubba_Bruiser; 03-18-12 at 11:31 PM.
Bubba_Bruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 07:56 AM   #8
wallywallace

lol thanks guys, didnt hurt my feeling, i am just glad that is my error and not my gear, looks like i wil go back to schol today and learn em up

oh BB, i didnt pay no were near anything that the avid was listed, thats why i was happy to get it, before that i beleive my topwater was a black maxx rod with a pinncle reel, so when i got the avid for a steal i jumped on it, thanks to all though,
Old 03-19-12, 08:22 AM   #9
lilmule

Try a standard 5 in jerkbait,loosen brake some and bearing end cap till lure falls when released,then after determining where you need it reset at slowly tighten all back a tad,also use thumb on baitcast reel at end of cast ,might try a sidearm swing as well.I have pretty much same reel I bought used they are ok,so not it unless its got a problem.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 12:01 PM   #10
wallywallace

thanks mule,, i will mess with it today
Old 03-19-12, 03:10 PM   #11
bassboogieman

The internal brakes affect the spool at the beginning and mid-cast, applying braking force to reduce the severity of an overrun. Starting out with a typical 6-pin centrifical brake, I'd recommend 2 off (pushed in) and 4 on (pulled out, be carefull as you can pull them completely out of the spool). Most manufacturers recomment setting brakes in pairs - opposite one another. You can push an additional pair of brakes in as your skill improves.

The magnetic brake takes over at the end of the cast, adding brakeing power as the spool looses centrifical force. Your thumb is very important as the lure hits the water - when the lure hits the water it's forward momentum ceases, but the spool is still turning, you need the thumb to stop it when the lure enteres the water. The magnetic brake is also usefull in providing additional braking in windy conditions by adjusting it to a higher number than you normally set it for calm days. Normally I would not set the magnetic brake above #2.

The spool tension knob applies tension to the spool adjusting for the lure weight you will be throwing. To set it, hold rod at about 60 degrees, release thumb bar and lure should drop to ground without a significant over run. Adjust tension until it does.

All three of the braking systems need to be set properly in order to work together, in addition to your thumb, to produce a successful cast.

I also think the MH rod is too stiff for throwing top water or jerkbaits. The M should be much better. Depending on the lure weight, the MH is most likely unable to load up and properly cast the lighter lures. All rod brands vary as to the stiffness of a rod that may be branded the same (ie: MH).

The final comment, if you picked up a reel without a box, I'm guessing it was used? The reel may need a good cleaning - it's bearings may be dirty or gunked up from a previous improper maintence. That would also adversly affect a reels ability to be cast properly.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-12, 04:16 PM   #12
wallywallace

been messing with it, the jerkbait rod that is, got it setup pretty good, man, i dont know what to do with the avid, i dont use spinnerbaits enough to need a seperate rod,to bad croix doesn't have a trade out program lol
Old 03-19-12, 10:36 PM   #13
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

My best advice would be to just stick with it. Adjust your casting method, play around the brakes some more, etc. A 6'6" rod isn't the cause of a problem like that. Two things to try:

First, the reel does to be set up properly, and usually set up for each new bait you use. Tie on your bait, reel it up close to the tip and put the rod at a 45* angle let the reel free spool. It should slowly fall and hit the ground without overrun. If it does overrun, turn the spool tension up.

With your tension set like this, you should be good with 60-80% brakes, less once you get the hang of it. Like I said earlier about the tension, you should readjust it each time to switch to a different weight lure.

The second thing to try is a heavier topwater, like a Zara Spook or LC Gunfish. Topwaters are usually good casting baits. I've personally used rods from 6'M to 6'6"MH and even a 7'6"MH for them without problems.

BB
Old 03-19-12, 11:05 PM   #14
joedog

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
been messing with it, the jerkbait rod that is, got it setup pretty good, man, i dont know what to do with the avid, i dont use spinnerbaits enough to need a seperate rod,to bad croix doesn't have a trade out program lol
Croix's got a trade in deal check thier web page. I think it's like 50 bucks and they step you up..maybe a tournament series is next up line not sure.
Web site explains.
Old 03-20-12, 01:22 AM   #15
Tavery5

Croix does have a trade in plan, but it has changed some. It is based on the year and month that your rod was made. They then figure a pro rated deduction from the retail price of the rod, then you pay the difference in retail price of the rod you want to upgrade to. Can't remember how the shipping works on the deal, but by the time your done, your not gonna save yourself all that much.
Old 03-20-12, 07:04 AM   #16
wallywallace

i got the jerkbait were i want it, havn't had time to mess with the topwater mutch, you think, i am great at all my other rods, ohwell, i have learned,
Old 03-20-12, 06:55 PM   #17
islandbass

A cast that lands in front of you is a tell tale sign that suggests that your thumb is coming off of the spool too late.

This is based on the prerequisites that:

The rod is rated for the weight of your lure
Your reel is properly set to the weight of the lure
And you know how to properly load the rod with the lure's weight.

If there are met, you've got me stumped. Try releasing your thumb off of the spool sooner, even if it feels uncomfortable.
Old 03-21-12, 09:53 AM   #18
wallywallace

hey messed with the topwater this morning throws big rapala poprs and spooks fine, guess my tiny skitter will become a spinnin topwater, not to sound, but probably am, if all my other lures work fine, no need to fret over one skeeter pop
Old 03-21-12, 03:01 PM   #19
basshunter21
BassFishin.Com Active Member

lol I remember when I was first learning how to cast a BC I did that all the time.

I would do a overhead cast then........plunk!!! The lure would hit the water 6 ft in front of me with a huge birds nest lol

Im not saying that necessarily your problem, just sayin
basshunter21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-12, 07:45 PM   #20
wallywallace

lol, thats the funny part, I have been using baticasters for a year, and never had this problem, it was a beginner problem tht just now accured lol

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.