Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-04-08, 05:02 AM   #1
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default Boatless Bank Trash at Boerne Lake

For the past few months I've been "mentoring" a fellow Sooner re The Wonderful World Of Bass Fishing. I've helped him select tackle, given or lent him some stuff...rods, reels, lures, old issues of Hustler...everything he needs.
He's bought a little 10' boat with a 5HP kicker, trollmotor, portable fishfinder, etc, and it's pretty kewl for something of that nature.
So far he's doing things right; Staying off of "motor" lakes, buying good PFDs for self and family, and working hard to become successful. He's a consumate family man so safety is an easy sell.
I won't set foot (or fat A55,) in that little barge so I coach from the bank, via cell phone, frantic gestures, carrier pigeon, and smoke signals. You have no idea how many Marlboro Medium 100s it takes to convey "More to the right, look for some big rocks at the mouth of the little cove. Fire for effect!"
He and a bud will be on Boerne Lake early this AM. In preparation I went to the lake with him yesterday with a handful of various goodies I'd selected to give/lend him (Two Pop'Rs, a Blue-over-Chrome Super Spook Jr., a black PICO Slasher, a Wobble Pop, and a Strike King Midnight Special; A lender reel... Daiwa 153 HST for his new TAS rod,) and we walked out on some flats exposed by low water, a belt of weeds bordering the shore. It was circa 2:30; Wind N at 10-15, hot but lower humidity than might be expected.
He's new to topwater, so I first demonstrated various retrieve rates and styles using a Super Spook Jr. As the lure sashayed over some weeds a bass no larger than the lure catapulted out of the air, only slightly engaged (Thank Zeus!) then uncoupled. I joked that this was an omen.
A few minutes later, as HE was walking the lure no more than 12 feet from the bank, a REAL bass erupted from the weeds and assaulted the Spook Jr. My bud reacted a bit too soon, something we all do at times, but he did feel the surge of a keeper bass for a brief happy instant. 3PM; hot summer day; from the bank; on a topwater...priceless. The violence of that attack; the water flying in a twinkling crystalline burst, and the flash of green and silver as a good bass charged, then turned away; All this things are imprinted in my buddy's memory. There's no calculating the worth of that.
Last night he called, wanting to verify the choice of weaponry for a pre-dawn raid. Here's the menu: Strike King Midnight Special in black/blue; 5" TikiStik, black/blue swirl, t-rigged; ZOOM U-tail in Black Sapphire; and...a leap of faith for me...my last PICO Slasher, black.
I've told him that the Slasher is the last of my treasured original PICO lures, save for a mint PICO Perch in original box, the PICO Pops having been given to another trusted friend who will, I hope, appreciate them for the history they've written. Over time I'll tell the newbie some factual stories of bass caught on that Slasher at Falcon, Medina, Calaveras, Amistad, Livingston, Travis, and some others, always in the dead of night.
So, he has that Slasher. I do not expect to have that veteran lure in my possession again except to replace battle-weary hooks. I hope it brings him luck.
It feels good, damned good, to watch someone learn and succeed.
No credit is due me but I tell this story to encourage all experienced bassers to share both their love of the game and those things which have made them successful.

Lancer6
Passin' the baton.

UPDATE: 0740... I called him a few minutes ago. No fish.
I asked if (per recommendation) he'd replaced the black Slasher with the Super Spook Jr. at FIRST LIGHT...Nope. The black/blue Tiki with Wm/Red...Nope. The Midnight Special spinnerbait with a white one...Nope. The Black Sapphire U-tail with wm/red OR smoke/blue...Nope. Had he tied on the clear Pop 'R...Nope.
Had he raked the huge weedy area by the private park, at depths from one foot to eight feet, with the S.Spook Jr, the Pop 'R, or the white spinnerbait?...Nope.
ARRRRRRGGGGHHHHH!
I am NOT giving up. Somehow, I've gotta lay hands on a bassboat and spend at least five hours with him, starting 1.5 hours PRE-dawn. Fat chance.

UpUpDate
OK, he switched and has caught two so far; one on a wm/red TikiStik and one on wm/red U-Tail. Progress.
His buddy is fishless; alternating between a wm/red lizard and a.........BANJO MINNOW.
A little scolding goes a long way. That's why I employ a lot of scolding
Wind is kicking that little craft about, so they're packing it in.

Last edited by Lancer6; 09-04-08 at 01:32 PM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 11:34 AM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Sounds frustrating and fufilling at the same time good luck
Old 09-04-08, 12:10 PM   #3
Fishnngolfn

He will learn. Just try not to show your frustration with him. Noone hates to feel stupid (intentional or not). It is obvious he won't quit easily since "he bought a little 10' boat with a 5HP kicker, trollmotor, portable fishfinder, etc". I remember when I first started out, I hated to retie new lures in the middle of fishing. Since I was not that great at it nor did I have 5 rods with different setups at my disposal, I felt I was wasting valuable fishing time by constantly retying lures. Don't worry, he will learn when to change lures. It takes time to have that feeling become second nature.

I still hate to retie lures while I am fishing so I fish mainly plastics on a 3/0 hook. It is a lot easier to change a plastic on the same hook.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 01:46 PM   #4
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
He will learn. Just try not to show your frustration with him. Noone hates to feel stupid (intentional or not). It is obvious he won't quit easily since "he bought a little 10' boat with a 5HP kicker, trollmotor, portable fishfinder, etc". I remember when I first started out, I hated to retie new lures in the middle of fishing. Since I was not that great at it nor did I have 5 rods with different setups at my disposal, I felt I was wasting valuable fishing time by constantly retying lures. Don't worry, he will learn when to change lures. It takes time to have that feeling become second nature.

I still hate to retie lures while I am fishing so I fish mainly plastics on a 3/0 hook. It is a lot easier to change a plastic on the same hook.
Actually, he seems to thrive on my scolding. We are both Type A personalities and he knows I'm trying hard in his behalf. He knows he can call me anytime, 24/7, with questions and problems to be solved.
Whether it involves fishing, shooting, making an omelet, or pleasing a lady, I always preface my advice and counsel with "Please don't think I'm trying to seem a know-it-all (I do, though) or that I think you're an idiot (even though you are one). I have to assume that all my students know nothing so that I'll be thorough and not omit an important detail. Therefore, I begin with the very basic stuff and expand from there. Always feel free to ask when in doubt. (Dummy!)."..end quote.
I reinforce that assurance often in order that the "student" (See: Brain-dead yahoo) never doubts my desire to see him/her/it achieve success.
I've been doing this since Christ made Corporal (and he's a Master Sergeant now,) so it's a time-tested and proven method...for ME. It does not follow, however, that all would-be "helpers" should attempt to emulate the style, especially those that have the IQ, word skills, and overall charm of a retarded wombat who suffers from incessant and odoriferous flatulence.
Now, if you'll excuse me, I'll go back into my inner sanctum and resume a rather lurid fantasy involving a Champion 210 Elite with decks cleared for action, a deserted lake under moonlight, and Sarah Palin.

Last edited by Lancer6; 09-04-08 at 02:01 PM.
Old 09-04-08, 01:51 PM   #5
Lancer6

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim80 View Post
Sounds frustrating and fufilling at the same time good luck
You nailed it, Cuz. I won't give up on anyone who really tries.

L6
Old 09-04-08, 01:53 PM   #6
Jim80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancer6 View Post
You nailed it, Cuz. I won't give up on anyone who really tries.

L6
Thats what leading a new generation is all about man , as long as he listens enough to soak some of it up he should be alright .
Old 09-04-08, 01:56 PM   #7
Fishnngolfn

I love the disclaimers in your posts, Lancer.
Old 09-04-08, 02:00 PM   #8
Lancer6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
I love the disclaimers in your posts, Lancer.
Thanks. Sarah likes 'em too...back to business...go 'way!

L6
Old 09-04-08, 02:40 PM   #9
lowrider

http://www.thedailyshow.com/video/in...a-Running-Mate

i think you'll like this L6.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-08, 02:58 PM   #10
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post

I don't care who you vote for, that was extremely funny.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.