Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-10-12, 12:42 PM   #1
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Confession

One of my motivations for posting the below mentioned thread was to kind of show everyone maybe why Ike is Ike.
Kind of obvious that negativity sells, wouldn't you agree?
Started this as a new thread because I thought it may get lost or not read in one of the originals, especially mine. Seems few care how to improve things rather just complaining seems to make some feel better.
I know the original thread was up longer but I'm thinking my thread isn't going to make up the difference of 832 visits in a 2 week time frame or 42 replies.
Now if you were a sponsor would you be happier getting your name in front of 1050 potential clients or 200 ?

I guess thier right, negativity SELLS!
Negative publicity is better than no publicity at all.
I would even venture to say, many of you even know his sponsors and don't know other's sponsors.
Look how many new lures are coming to market with Ike's name associated with them. Alot more than past years.
Ike has a good business plan that seems to work.
Oh and I didn't put Ike's name in my thread title intentionally. The mention of Ike's name draws ATTENTION. Isn't that the purpose of advertising?

Anyway, everyone have a great time fishing!

original
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...&highlight=Ike 1050 visits...50 replies

Mine
http://www.bassfishin.com/bassfishin...&highlight=Ike 207 visits...8 replies
Old 01-10-12, 01:31 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I agree with you, Joe. However, every one of you that likes his little tantrums needs to ask yourself if you want to see tourneys turn into Jersey Shore. That'll be awesome, huh?
Old 01-10-12, 01:51 PM   #3
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I agree with you, Joe. However, every one of you that likes his little tantrums needs to ask yourself if you want to see tourneys turn into Jersey Shore. That'll be awesome, huh?

i about spit my drink at the screen, lmao
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-12, 02:36 PM   #4
joedog

I'm not stating that I do or don't like Ike.
I was just bringing to point why certain things are allowed while others aren't.
I was also bringing up the fact that we as humans (me included) love to b**** as opposed to taking action.
nofear, would you not watch a televised tourney because you heard Ike was participating?
Many would watch guaranteed, if they knew Ike was going to act up.
Fishing is BIG BIG business today and unfortunatly not the beloved hobby we grew up with.
Can anyone tell me of a kid who recently started fishing and used a stick with some line tied to the end with a hook, and a worm dug out of thier mom's garden?
Thats how I started. No one that I ever even heard about had a fishing boat that cost more than a house or even a car for that matter.
$20 would last me a month or maybe a summer. Now...... a Yellow Popper.
$20 got me six Rapalas, maybe more. Now......a Lucky Craft pointer or 2 Rapalas.
Unfortunately once money gets into the equation so does questionable behavior.
I love the advances of technology and what they have brought to fishing. I love to catch fish. I love just fishing!
But I also love the simplicity of the old days!

Now this whole thread was my attempt at being the DEVILS advocate not to criticize or even comment on anyone's feelings.
Incidently, there are alot more sponsors bidding on commercial time with Jersey Shore than Bill Dance. I personally will never understand how Jersey Shore even became a show......oh ya, negativity sells.

I want to ask a favor from everyone.....Will you please all have a GREAT DAY!
Old 01-10-12, 03:50 PM   #5
Tavery5

Here is something to think about. Most bass fishing shows last 1 hour, after you take time for the Evan Williams, Humminbird, and various other commercials that leaves about 30 minutes of actual fishing coverage. During the coverage they jump from boat to boat covering the leaders and others that are making a run, or have just caught a nice fish. When I see them cover IKE it is usually him break dancing on the bow of his boat, screamin monster when he catches a 2lb fish, or breaking stuff. Ashame that the time he actually get on air is more about his antics than his ability to fish.
Old 01-10-12, 06:06 PM   #6
bamabassman

i agrree with taves on tis one. wouldn't it be nice ot actually WATCH their techinuque rather than the "antics" or highlights? yeah,yeah,yeah....it may be boring tv, but to a TRUE angler, it is gold.

ike i s fantastic fisherman, no doubt about it. and the REAL reson he is shown doing his "antics" is it sells. jsut like sex sells everything form soap, to drain cleaner. that is how STUPID we the public is. we buy into it everytime.
Old 01-11-12, 07:58 AM   #7
hootie
BassFishin.Com Member

When I see a 40 year old throwing a 3 year old temper tantrum, I find it repulsive. C'mon, why did you just deliberately break that $500.00 rod and throw the whole rig into the lake. If I threw my stuff away every time I lost a fish, CRAP, I wouldn't have anything to fish with!! But then, I guess it doesn't really matter if you don't have to pay for the stuff.
Just my thoughts.
Hootie
hootie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-12, 09:07 PM   #8
Culpritworm7.5
BassFishin.Com Member

Mark Zona is cool when he freaks! Why can't Ike do that?
Culpritworm7.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 12:03 AM   #9
keithdog

I have to admit Joe, even though I dislike Ikes antics, I do understand what your trying to say here. Like it or not, good or bad, his antics draw attention. And advertisers will utilize it. Kind of like a train/car wreck. You don't want to see it, it makes your stomic turn, but ya gotta look. This running discussion of Ike and his type of behaviors has drawn a lot of comments through a couple threads. That pretty much says it all. If the like or hate Ike posts drew no interrest, then the story line would quickly die. But it doesn't. Thinking about Ike and his behaviors reminds me of the great Mohammad Ali. Cacious Clay for those of us my age or older. He was villified and hated by many many people for his loud mouth hysterics and antics in the ring. There were other issues with him as well that drew hatred such as race, religion, and draft dodging. Yet today he is a beloved and respected legend in the eyes of most people today. And through it all, Ali always drew great interrest wherever he went.
Old 01-19-12, 12:28 AM   #10
kennethdaysale

I think today is Ali's BDay.....they say he has parkinsons..course could be the ol rope a dope
Old 01-19-12, 07:31 AM   #11
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
If Snookie is there, pencil me in!!!
Old 01-19-12, 09:32 AM   #12
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Yea I liked ike when he first started you know young guy moving up in the bassing world but his antics are really too much. Now he acts more like a spoiled brat then a true Professional. Although in all sports you have to have your Kevin Van Dams & your ikes. Heros & Whiners make sports tolerable I guess. It does give viewers something to talk about just like keith said.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubba_Bruiser View Post
If Snookie is there, pencil me in!!!
Too much booty, Too much mouth! LoL!

Old 01-19-12, 10:22 AM   #13
bassboogieman

Snookie? Without all the crap she puts on her face she's just a plain skank, rather than a "cutie" skank.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-12, 11:18 AM   #14
Ranger Guy
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassboogieman View Post
Snookie? Without all the crap she puts on her face she's just a plain skank, rather than a "cutie" skank.
Hmm, so lures & make-up do the same job, only for different species? Very interesting.....lol

Old 01-19-12, 12:00 PM   #15
Bubba_Bruiser

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

"Too much booty, Too much mouth! LoL!"

And your point is???? HAHAHAHA!!! I promised myself I would not gutter ball this one, so I will leave it at that.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.