Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-04-08, 11:20 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Worm Color Basics

So what are the basics for chosing worm color, Jig color, etc.? Just need some vague information.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 12:18 AM   #2
senko
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Clear water is more natural colors, like green pumpkin or watermelon. Murkey water calls for dark colors, like black, but you could also use bright colors like red.

Hope this is what you meant
Old 07-05-08, 08:34 AM   #3
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

for darker waters i like black with a chartreuse tail , and like senko said clear water dictates earth colored plastics greens, browns, and the like .
Old 07-05-08, 10:31 AM   #4
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i use about 4-5 colors for plastic baits. green pumkin,watermelon seed,junebug,black,and tequila sunrise..

zooker
Old 07-05-08, 10:49 AM   #5
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Lately, I've been simplifying my collaboration of soft-baits.

Green pumpkin, watermelon, black, junebug, and all the various shades of brown, green, orange. Seriously, when have you ever seen a purple craw? Never! So why buy a purple craw imitation? All natural prey will be the same color, just different shades depending upon its surroundings.

I say go natural, just buy different shades for different bodies of water. A craw is a craw is a craw, hither or tither.

Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-08, 11:11 AM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post

Green pumpkin, watermelon, black, junebug, and all the various shades of brown, green, orange. Seriously, when have you ever seen a purple craw? Never! So why buy a purple craw imitation? All natural prey will be the same color, just different shades depending upon its surroundings.

I say go natural, just buy different shades for different bodies of water. A craw is a craw is a craw, hither or tither.

wrong buzz live craws go thru a change due to water temps and breeding season.. early in the year they are in breeding colors which are red,orange then they go to a summer color which is a green/grey coloration. then when the alge blooms in late summer early fall the go to a grey/brown color.. the bass know this and most wont touch a red/orange colored craw bait any time of year other than spring time..

zooker
Old 07-05-08, 05:17 PM   #7
3dkicker

KVD recommends that the plastic matches the bottom cover that you are fishing. In clear water fish translucent and the more stained you get go to the solid colors.

Zooker - catching bass on Bama Craw right now among other colors. Guess they're still thinking it's spring time.
Old 07-05-08, 07:31 PM   #8
George_Welcome
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Dark water = dark colors
Clear water = light colors

It's that easy.
Old 07-05-08, 08:28 PM   #9
frogfisher
BassFishin.Com Active Member

what everyone said.... go natural to start and as you get more experienced with fishing the worm you can find what color works best for you
frogfisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 06:01 PM   #10
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

HAHA!! Okay so I went out this morning and started fishing a T-Rig with a 7" Tequila Sunrise Power Bait Worm and also fished a Green Watermelon Worm. 3rd cast I got a hit 12th cast I got a hit...etc. etc. I guess that one of the things I need to focus on is not getting excited and trying to set the hook to fast. All in all I got about...... 12 Bites and only landed 2 fish. I am using a 7' Medium Heavy Rod with 30lb Braided line. I had one about a week ago where I set the hook to hard and pulled it's lips off. I need to get the torque down. The water is actually stained here but they are doing better hitting the natural worms thn the dark colors. Even though a black salamander with chartreus tail has gotten me a few. Oh and as I was fishing the T-Rig Parallel with the bank my T-Rig got hung so I immediatly trolled over to un-snag it. The water in this part of the lake is visible to the bottom (about 8') I swear I had a Bass just shy of 2' long about to inhale my worm before I startled it with the boat!! Damn Me! How Stupid! Well two things.. With my rate of hook set I probably would have lost it and if it was stuck she probably couldn't have got it out... Oh well live and learn I guess.
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 08:35 PM   #11
Buzz Wing

Sight fish are the hrdest to catch, Crank. Don't feel bad.

Ohh... What kinda boat ya got?
Old 07-06-08, 08:54 PM   #12
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buzz Wing View Post
Lately, I've been simplifying my collaboration of soft-baits.

I've never seen a red shad, but Red Shad continues to be a great plastic color for many people. And like Zook said, Tequila sunrise. Ever seen anything in the water that looks like that? Ever seen a Fire Tiger fish... nope, but Firetiger is a great crankbait color...

As for color selection, Watermelon Candy has been by far our best producer this year. I also Like green pumpkin, Junebug, watermelon.

I've fished a lot mor ethis year than I did last year, so I've kind of gotten an idea of what colors work best in my area and which ones I have more confidence in.

BB
Old 07-06-08, 09:06 PM   #13
Buzz Wing

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ever seen a Fire Tiger fish...
BB
LOL... Yes, a perch...

Old 07-06-08, 09:54 PM   #14
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

What 3dkicker said about the KVD recommendation. It's totally true around for clear water around here. I follow that simple rule, and if it doesn't work, then I'll explore some more.
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-08, 10:02 PM   #15
Jim80

i do use tequila sunrise worms as well as pumkinseed colors and a white ice super fluke is still a go to bait for me as well as baby bass colored flukes and red shad worms .
Old 07-08-08, 05:13 PM   #16
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Ever seen anything in the water that looks like that? Ever seen a Fire Tiger fish... nope,
BB

hate to disagree with ya here bb.. but in clear water fire tiger resembles a brim/blue gill-red ear sunfish actually- and because of the loud nature of the color combonation it works just as well in muddy water..
this is what i use in clear water..

nuff said

zooker
Old 07-08-08, 05:23 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

I have good luck this year with cotton candy regardless of the water clarity. I am sure that if I went darker with darker colored water, I may get more hits; however, I still get hits on the cotton candy color in dark or muddy water. I just fish it slower. I bought a june bug color with red flakes the other day that I am going to try out this weekend. I will post some pics with the results.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-08, 07:20 AM   #18
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
wrong buzz live craws go thru a change due to water temps and breeding season.. early in the year they are in breeding colors which are red,orange then they go to a summer color which is a green/grey coloration. then when the alge blooms in late summer early fall the go to a grey/brown color.. the bass know this and most wont touch a red/orange colored craw bait any time of year other than spring time..

zooker
Hey Zook,

We caught a 3.5 lber in a tourney a couple weeks ago and it puked up a bluegill and a craw. The crawfish (pieces) were bright orange/red with some dark grey in it. Wish I would have seen that before we went to weigh in.

I would say Junebug is my #1 color. I fish a lot of GP too. A red shad worm is tough to beat in our area as well.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.