Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-28-06, 04:09 AM   #1
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Hey Guys, I need your valued input on an idea

I have been thinking of what I am about to tell you for some time and I want to share it with you to see what all of you think.

The idea started last summer as I was pier fishing for pink salmon and every once in a while, I’d see or hear the accidental dropping of a rod/reel falling into the salt water drink. I even know of someone losing a Shimano Calcutta!

Then, this past winter, someone who just bought the new curado and mated to a Loomis GL3 or IMX steelhead rod was fishing. In a moment of inattention, a fish not only took down his offering, but also pulled his new reel and rod under, never to be seen again. That’s well over $350.00 down the drain or should I say river!

What really brought it to a head was fishing with my 6-year-old daughter this past Sunday. I was nervous of her accidentally dropping or throwing and letting go of the rod and reel, or a swimmer knocking it out of her hands and bye-bye BSF Curado and rod.

So necessity, being the mother of invention, helped me to devise a make shift solution. I was ready to build it from scratch until I saw already made components that could serve as my prototype.

Here in the picture below from right to left is a strap with Velcro called a Wrap It Up, a mini carabiner, and a round shoelace.

I attached the carabiner to the Wrap It Up, and then made a loop with one end of the shoelace and latched it to the carabiner. Then, I tied the other end of the lace to the reel foot and put the reel on the rod.

My initial worries of the slack line getting tangled with the rod or reel were soon dissipated. The lace does not seem to hinder holding the rod or going through the motions of casting.

From another angle

Holding the rod.

The positives are:

1) You will never accidentally drop your rig into the water while using it
2) You won’t ever have to worry about your clumsy relative(s) or buddies dropping your precious rigs either
3) Detaching your arm from the “Rig Saver” (so I dub it) is easily done on the fly by freeing yourself by working the carabiner and reattaching is equally easy to do
4) Under very cold conditions, it will come in handy when you can no longer feel your fingers and can no longer hold your rig.

My daughter tried it and she liked it too. I guess I’ll need to make a pink version for her.

Anyway, I would like to get your input on this idea. Yay? Nay? Is this a practical solution? Would it work for your young ones? Any and all input is very much welcome.

I realize that no self-respecting bass angler would want to use one, but its purpose is to help kids and other clumsy folk and others who fish in situations like tall piers or deep water where jumping into the drink would risk your life.

In closing, I am NOT selling anything. After what I just posted, heck, you can make one yourself. Thank you.

Sincerely,

Islandbass

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.