Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-04-06, 12:45 PM   #1
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Main Lake or Secondaries?

This time of the year are main lake points typically producing better than secondary points.....I figure with the hot weather bass would position themselves on the main lake more so but I know a lot of you guys fish the bigger lakes more often than me.....could they both be productive...current play a role?
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 01:11 PM   #2
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I'd look at the graph and see where the fish are deep relating to the point.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-06, 08:42 PM   #3
zooker

fishie
currant plays a major role in summer bass fishing. bass will hold just off the currant edge normally near ledges. currants are like a/c units for fish. the water temps will be cooler.reason the slow presention baits like the c-rig or big crank baits work so well.

remember as hot as the water is right now. the termocline will be in effect. if you see a line about 8-10 or more feet down on the depth finder- most units will show it-with almost no fish below it.. this is the thermocline.. it is always at a consant level through out the entire lake.reguardless if you have a great creek channel.. if it is below the cline ya aint going to get bit fishing it..

zooker
Old 08-04-06, 09:07 PM   #4
lizardsrule

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker
fishie
currant plays a major role in summer bass fishing. bass will hold just off the currant edge normally near ledges. currants are like a/c units for fish. the water temps will be cooler.reason the slow presention baits like the c-rig or big crank baits work so well.

remember as hot as the water is right now. the termocline will be in effect. if you see a line about 8-10 or more feet down on the depth finder- most units will show it-with almost no fish below it.. this is the thermocline.. it is always at a consant level through out the entire lake.reguardless if you have a great creek channel.. if it is below the cline ya aint going to get bit fishing it..

zooker
Excellent post zook Not much is said about the thermocline. I must say I forget about that issue myself from time to time. Thanks

Lizards
Old 08-04-06, 09:37 PM   #5
Fishie1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

thanks guys for the help.....great answers!
Fishie1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-06, 04:02 AM   #6
zooker

lizard the thermocline is a lack of o2 in the water colum that is why ya can see it on the depth finder the water with little or no o2 in it. pushs the o2 rich water upwards causing a ridge line in the water this ridge line is what you depthfinder reads as some sort of bottom structure-a line in many cases..

zooker
Old 08-05-06, 10:11 PM   #7
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Zook busting out his intellectual side again. Most of my lakes are real shallow right now, If there is a thermocline it's between 5-10 inches. What he said is very true, moving water is cooling the fish and usually is more oxygen enriched. I like to stay at the ends of canals this time of year and work every nook and cranny slowly.
Old 08-05-06, 10:44 PM   #8
zooker

slow and through are the key right now powwer fishing may catch 1-2 bass i rather hit good struture and beat it like it owes me money..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.