Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-24-08, 10:05 AM   #1
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Reel Choices

Hey guys, as some you may know, I've been looking at baitcasting reels for the Guntersville trip. I just wanted your opinions on some reels.

I've been looking at the Abu Garcia Revo STX and Premier, the Daiwa Zillion or Feugo, the Pflueger Supreme. I've looked on Cabela's at the reviews and the Supreme got some poor reviews, although my son said he likes the dual break system on the Pflueger, and thinks it would be easier for me to re-learn on.

I'll be putting the reel on a 7' MH G-Loomis rod and mostly be throwing plastics and spinnerbaits, and maybe crankbaits. The thing I am most concerned about is being able to throw small spinnerbaits and weightless plastics.

Thanks,
kingfish
kingfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 10:40 AM   #2
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

king
i would definatly pass on the revo stx-i have had alot problems with mine- the diawa zillon is a sweet reel.. don't waste your money on the steez either..pflueger is ok -i have 3 trions-in my opinon the team diawa super tuned is the best bang for the buck..

zooker
Old 05-24-08, 10:53 AM   #3
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Chronarch 50 MG. This reel is super light and very tough. I have two and love em'. In fact, sometimes I ignore my other rods with other reels because I just don't want to use anything else these days.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-08, 12:20 PM   #4
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Zook, that's the first bad review of the Revo's that I've heard.

I think my dad was also looking at the Ardent reels. I've never used them though.

BB
Old 05-24-08, 01:46 PM   #5
zooker

if the ardent bait castering reels are anything like ardent reels i have used in the past..they should be awesome.. the xs 1000 looks killer

btw ardents have the best drag in the business..

zooker
Old 05-24-08, 10:11 PM   #6
Lancer6
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wishing2BFishing View Post
Chronarch 50 MG. This reel is super light and very tough. I have two and love em'. In fact, sometimes I ignore my other rods with other reels because I just don't want to use anything else these days.
Kingfish, he's got a point. I own three (one is on long-term loan, and that's fine by me, to a guy I used to fish with.) of the 'Narch Fiftys and they are splendid little reels. They weigh under six ozzies and that's a benefit not to be taken lightly.
The primary applications you list are generally well-suited to a 7' MH rod but, if you want to toss light stuff with maximum ease you will need to expand your arsenal.
Let's say you want to offer the bass a 4" worm with 1/16 oz weight. For that I use a 'Narch 50MG, #20 Yellow braid (the dark stuff is nearly invisible and it's hard to detect that little "tic" when a bass picks up the worm...Yellow helps!), a #15 leader (P-Line Fluoro Leader material, sold in 25M spools.), attached with that *%^#@! "J-Knot". The rod is a Team AllStar TAS 785C...a killer combo; Light, sensitive, etc.
For weightless worms, such a the ZOOM Trick Worm, a different rod action is recommended. I use the Falcon LowRider 5-167 "Clark Wendlandt" model and another "Narch 50MG, usually with the same line leader combo aforementioned.
Now...re the REVO reel. I own a couple of them (the Red one, Model SC, sold only by Cabela's,) and I can unequivocally state that they are great!
They are silky smooth, easy to tune for casting, and that 7:1 retrieve is a real labor-saver, though not suited to large-bill cranks. For BuZZZZZZbaits, toads, lipless cranks, and spinnerbaits they are wonderful AND they meet my personal requirement...under nine ounces in weight. I got my first one two tears ago and there's never been a hint of a problem. Care 'n Cleaning DOES matter.
It's easy to get caught up in the madness of "technique-specific" rods and other gear but, at the same time, no one combo can do it all.

Good luck and, above all, be safe.

Lancer6

Last edited by Lancer6; 05-24-08 at 10:25 PM.
Lancer6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-08, 10:52 AM   #7
zooker

dam lancer you'll hung up on that reel weight aint ya?? just like ole fly rod was.. time fer ya to get over da weight of your "said combo" and just fish with it.. do i know what mines weighs? nope and i don't really care either cause i am too buzy fishing with it..

don't make come to san antiono and show ya how tie the "j" knot -which is easy-

zooker
Old 05-25-08, 12:36 PM   #8
doc

i bought a revo premier from ebay brand new for the same price i would have paid for a stx. it was brand new in the box, with warranty. i even linked the seller in a post on here. it so far has been an outstanding reel that i saved 70 or so dollars off of reatail price.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 04:27 PM   #9
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Fuego = Great reel, super smooth. Wouldn't trade it for nothin'..

Supreme = Pretty good reel, thumb bar/crank is sometimes 'sticky' when engaging/disengaging. Would buy another if I had the money..

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 05:43 PM   #10
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks for the help guys. I just purchased the Daiwa Zillion the other day on eBay.

The baitmonkey has attacked me quite a bit lately. First a Loomis rod, then the Zillion, and about $150 worth of stuff for Guntersville at Cabela's the other day (and that was just me). And I'm sure there's more we'll have to get before we go, and I especially want to check out the store at Goose Pond.

Thanks again for the help,

kingfish
Old 05-26-08, 05:49 PM   #11
kingfish
BassFishin.Com Member

One thing I forgot, while we were out fishing yesterday something happened to my spinning reel (a 15yr old Shimano Spirex) I took it apart to find pieces of the antireverse/drag system falling out. The pieces had broken off, and now the reel is shot.

That's right, I need a new spinning reel before we go to guntersville. Anybody got any suggestions for a spinning reel. I don't want something too cheap, or too expensive (I spent all my money on the Loomis rod and Zillion reel). Maybe in the $75-150 range.

kingfish
Old 05-26-08, 08:52 PM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

One word . . . Stradic
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-08, 08:53 PM   #13
islandbass

You will be very happy with a Symetre and it won't hurt the wallet. 2500 size for sure.
Old 05-27-08, 01:31 AM   #14
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
king
in my opinon the team diawa super tuned is the best bang for the buck..

zooker
Ditto. I have several 153 HSTs and absolutely love them.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.