Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-11-09, 08:51 PM   #1
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Concussions and football...

Did anyone see the 60 minutes episode tonight on concussions?

I take back anything I've said about them trying to take contact out of the game of football. Apparently the same players getting concussions have a much, much, much greater chance of getting dementia at a very early age, as in 50. Perhaps youtube will post the segment before long, it was very interesting.
Old 10-11-09, 09:13 PM   #2
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I didn't see it, but while I do frown on whole communities putting the local male youth through the annual meat grinder a la "Varsity Blues," I'm not immediately concerned about sports injuries.

Frankly, young men are drawn to danger and conflict, almost at a genetic level. What we would have to do to make football totally safe would probably put the final touches on the castration that is modern society.

Proof?

Sayings like "Chicks dig scars," "What doesn't kill me only makes me stronger," etc. Young men are going to self-cull a few regardless of what we do.

As a side note, I quit my freshman football team the week before our first game. I had an abusive stepfather, and I figured one self-important jerk screaming in my face every day after school was enough. Plus...getting hit in the head hurts too much haha.
Old 10-11-09, 10:06 PM   #3
1/4 stick
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I caught the last little bit of it. Certainly would explain a few poor choices in my life. At least it's the excuse I'll use from now on.
Old 10-12-09, 02:50 PM   #4
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I saw a special last year. Coulda swore it was 60 Minutes. Interesting stuff.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-09, 09:39 AM   #5
3dkicker

I think all of the football commentators need to be educated about concussions and the damage they cause. I've seen too hits recently, by offensive players with the ball, in which they lower their heads and ram the defensive player. No flags by the officials or comments to the fact that's how you break your neck or get concussions.

Anybody wonder where "dumb football payer" comes from????
Old 10-13-09, 02:16 PM   #6
brushhog

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
I think all of the football commentators need to be educated about concussions and the damage they cause. I've seen too hits recently, by offensive players with the ball, in which they lower their heads and ram the defensive player. No flags by the officials or comments to the fact that's how you break your neck or get concussions.
Coaching high school football for the last 17 years, I can tell you one of the hardest things to teach young runners to do is lower their shoulders and not their heads, (Changing pad levels without looking down!)

Defenders get the concept of keeping their head up much better.

We have a simple rule on the younger level in our program to reinforce this - drop you head and you don't play!
Old 10-13-09, 06:40 PM   #7
3dkicker

I'm glad coaches today (you) do work on it. I know my coaches do. I also get on them about it. But these are professional players hitting with their heads and the commentators saying "What a hit!" and "Good hit!" isn't going to help.
Old 10-13-09, 07:30 PM   #8
bcklash

Is it just me or has any one else noticed how easy the helmets come off now. When the Bassinbandit played high school ball the helmets very rarely came off.
Old 10-13-09, 08:34 PM   #9
3dkicker

I noticed that a few years ago when the new Riddell helmets came out. Plus the fact that some pro's don't use all four chin straps.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.