Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-20-09, 09:19 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Canon Cameras

Since our camera was stolen this summer, I asked for a new (and of course better) one for my birthday. So my mom is getting everyone (aunts, uncles, grandmas, etc) to pitch in and get me one.

So, I'm looking at either the EOS T1i or the EOS Rebel XSi.

Both have customer ratings of 4.8 (big help that was, lol). But they seem to have varied pros and cons. half the reviews on the T1i said good battery life, half said bad battery life.

Obviously, I'm no professional, but I do love photography and did quite a bit before our camera was stolen. I'll take pictures of just about anything, so I need the camera to be fairly adaptable. I need a good macro setting too. Will I be able to get good close up shots with the 18-55mm lens?

Anybody have any input about either of these?

Thanks,
BB
Old 10-20-09, 10:35 PM   #2
nofearengineer

BB144,

First thing...close-up, or macro shots take a special type of lens, unless you want to play around with extension tubes, and other add-ons I wouldn't recommend to a relative newcomer. You need to make sure the lens says "macro" on it (or "micro" in the case of Nikkor lenses...silly Nikons).

How much are you looking to spend? It sounds like you are willing to spend a pretty good chunk of change. Are you dead set on Canon? Or is Nikon a possibility too? Don't fall prey to fanboyism. Nikon vs. Canon is probably more ridiculous and deadlocked than Dems vs. Repubs LOL. Both of them make great cameras.

Also, don't fall for the huge megapixel counts. In my opinion, 15 megapixels is overkill on a non-full-frame sensor. All you get is a bigger, poorer quality image.

If you must get a kit lens like the 18-55 (that's a great short zoom range for portraits, modest wide-angle landscape shots), try to get a longer zoom to go with it...maybe a 55-200mm. This will help on your telephoto shots. Take my recommendations with a grain of salt; I am a Nikon guy, and I don't know my way around the Canon lenses that well. However, one adage still rings true...if you're even a bit serious about taking good photos...buy the best lenses you can afford. They will be with you long after your "state of the art" camera is a fancy paperweight.
Old 10-21-09, 07:44 AM   #3
BigBassin144

nofear, thanks for the input.

We're looking around for a good deal, especially on ebay, cause we really can't afford retail price, even with the combined money. Most likely, I'm going to have to throw in the bit I'm saving for a new rod as well

I would prefer a Canon because I have a little experience with them, although I'm sure the SLR is going to be a whole new learing experience anyways.

Right now, I'm leaning more towards the XSi, cause there some feature on the T1i I know I won't be using, like full HD video. And like you said, I think 12megapixels is more than enough.

I'll check Ebay and see if I can find any kits with 2 or 3 lenses instead of one.

BB
Old 10-21-09, 08:49 AM   #4
nofearengineer

Another thing you want to be VERY cautious about when buying camera equipment on ebay. Make sure it is stuff that was meant for the U.S. market. Cameras and lenses made for other markets (usually the far east) are identical in make and quality (sometimes made in the very same factory), but due to global pricing strategies, they are referred to as "gray market," and the manufacturer will not warranty them. In fact, they often will not perform service on them for any price. So what may sound like a great deal may be a nightmare 6 months from now when something goes wrong.

I would seriously consider sticking with a more reputable online vendor such as Adorama, Abes of Maine, B & H, etc. (I particularly like Adorama.) They offer gray market stuff, but will clearly label it as such. Costco even has some good deals at times. I don't know if you have one near you, but in my case, the 1-year membership ($50), was more than worth the $400 price differential they had on my D300 kit.
Old 10-21-09, 09:33 AM   #5
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

BB, sent you a pm...

Ryan
Old 10-21-09, 01:54 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Hey guys, I think I have decided on the for now. I will definately look at costco (just got one here about a year or so ago.) My uncle is an amateur photographer, so he may let me borrow a couple lenses until I can afford my own (hmm... maybe a christmas present)

I've been doing a lot of reading about lens focal length, and a few other subject so I know a bit more about this stuff when I start using the camera.

Thanks guys.

BB
Old 10-22-09, 07:36 PM   #7
Marty
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Both have customer ratings of 4.8 (big help that was, lol). But they seem to have varied pros and cons. half the reviews on the T1i said good battery life, half said bad battery life.
If you have the time, check out out some of the professional reviews too. There's no shortage of camera reviews on the Web.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits

Rochester, NY
Marty is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.