Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 10-15-07, 06:03 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Recommend a spinnerbait rod.

I'm in the market for a new spinnerbait rod. I mostly throw a 3/8 oz spinnerbait and on rare occassions a little smaller or a little larger but 90% of the time 3/8 oz. I also mostly use the under hand roll cast ala Jimmy Houston unless I have to make a really long cast. I do it a little different though. I use two hands and keep both hands on the rod.

So, with those parameters in mind, can you recommend a good spinnerbait rod??
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 06:32 PM   #2
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Anything 6'6"-7' MH. A fast action tip is what I like because I like sharp/quick hookset. If you need more flex then a Moderate action tip would be better. I like St Croix rods, but whatever you like as for brands should be fine.

Lizards
Old 10-15-07, 07:38 PM   #3
flfireman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

7' MH fast action. I have 1 All Star and 2 BPS Extremes that handle my spinnerbaits. Reels all extremes 2- 6:3, 1- 7:1.
Old 10-15-07, 07:51 PM   #4
Rebbasser

I used to use an AllStar Classic spinnerbait rod, but recently switched to a Falcon Low Rider MH action 6-6 rod and have been real happy with it so far. I still use the AllStar for buzzbaits.
Old 10-15-07, 08:29 PM   #5
pig n jig

My favorite spinnerbait rod is a old Falcon FC 5 17 rod. It ain't real fancy, but its limber enough to keep them buttoned up on the spinnerbait. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-07, 11:29 PM   #6
skeeter944

I use a 6'6'' MH BPS Extreme rod. It works great for spinnerbaiting.
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-07, 09:34 AM   #7
Jigger

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
My favorite spinnerbait rod is a old Falcon FC 5 17 rod. It ain't real fancy, but its limber enough to keep them buttoned up on the spinnerbait. P N J
pig n jig,
Are you using an FC 5 17 or an FC 4 17? The 5 shows to be the "Big Cranker", a MH rod for chunking big crankbaits, carolina rigging and big spinnerbaits. I was looking at the 4 before I posted this and thinking about ordering it. The 4 is a M recommmended for spinnerbaits. I'm a Falcon man at heart because they're made in the US and particularly here in God's country, Oklahoma. I've got 10 Falcons in my quiver right now but I wouldn't be afraid to go with any of the other recommendations posted here.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Robert
Old 10-16-07, 09:36 AM   #8
Jigger

So, what's everyone looking for in a good spinnerbait rod? Without naming a brand, tell me what you think makes a good rod to chunk 3/8 oz spinnerbait with and why?
Old 10-16-07, 10:22 AM   #9
Fish2win

Light, sensative, fast tip amd good back bone. I like a 6 to 61/2. A humpm style handle can be a plus. It makes it easier to do a roll cast. I won several including a Setzer custom spinnerbait and a team diawa spinnerbait rods. My rod of choice is a Berkley lighting rod with titanium guides that is 6 foot long. It is a cheap rod but highly effective. Fish2win
Old 10-16-07, 12:51 PM   #10
carolina-rig-01

i really like a falcon cara (i know you said without naming a brand but i had to put my 2 cents in). the falcon origional series like pnj said is a great rod at a great price. i recently bought a fleet of them (like 9 or 10). what i like in a spinnerbait rod is basically some real good backbone down towards the handle but a soft tip. i am a huge fan of 7' rods for most everything, however i will use a pistol grip rod that is 5' long if i am making short cast really tight to cover (in brush or around docks) this will help you a lot with getting you bait to go right where you want it. it does take away from your hookset some and a 7' rod will help with your hookset and will also allow for a longer cast. i guess it depends on what you are trying to do with a spinnerbait on a given day.
Old 10-16-07, 08:09 PM   #11
Rebbasser

Quote:
I'm a Falcon man at heart
Jigger, I knew I liked you!
Old 10-16-07, 08:25 PM   #12
rrw4258

i use a quantum... 6'6" MH Action with a fast tip... been very happy with this. I thorw it with a Cabela's Prodigy Reel, with 15lb. Berkley Big Game.

Ryan
Old 10-16-07, 11:19 PM   #13
keithdog

I like to use a 6 1/2 foot MH action rod. I have a 7 foot MH rod and for me, the 6 1/2 foot length is easier to work with. I prefer a good IM7 or 8 graphite blank. I just recently purchased a couple BPS Pro Qualifier rods on clearance and I am very happy with them. The BPS Extreme rods are also very nice. I believe they have both on sale right now.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 12:24 AM   #14
Jigger

Thanks guys for the responses. BPS extreme keeps coming up. Never tried one or even heard of one but it sounds like I need to take a look at them.
Robert
Old 10-17-07, 08:35 AM   #15
skeeter944

You should, they are on sale right now for $70 on the website. IMO the best deal on the market
skeeter944 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 06:36 PM   #16
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jigger View Post
pig n jig,
Are you using an FC 5 17 or an FC 4 17? The 5 shows to be the "Big Cranker", a MH rod for chunking big crankbaits, carolina rigging and big spinnerbaits. I was looking at the 4 before I posted this and thinking about ordering it. The 4 is a M recommmended for spinnerbaits. I'm a Falcon man at heart because they're made in the US and particularly here in God's country, Oklahoma. I've got 10 Falcons in my quiver right now but I wouldn't be afraid to go with any of the other recommendations posted here.

Thanks to all for your responses.
Robert
I had to go check and it is a FC 5 17. I have a FCG 4 17 that I rattle trap big traps with, the G being glass, but its the 5 power I use for spinnerbaits.I use alot of 3/4 oz. and 1 oz. spinnerbaits here in NY. The key to catching alot of smallmouth here is to burn the spinnerbait over weed clumped areas as fast as you can reel the spinnerbait with it staying 6-8" under the surface, therefore the heavier weight is used. The 5 power rod is limber enough rod tip , but heavy enough to fish the heavier spinnerbaits with ease.I do slow roll 3/8 oz. spinnerbaits in the spring time with the same 5 power rod.I hope this clears as to why I prefer the 5 power ? P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-07, 11:03 PM   #17
otto
BassFishin.Com Member

It also depends on the line you're going to use. If you're throwing 14lb. test mono (like I do for spinnerbaits) a fast action MH power rod is great. If you're throwing a braid, you might want a slower action rod to compensate for the lack of line stretch.
otto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-07, 05:47 PM   #18
zooker

yawn... scratch.... hhhmmm... spinnerbait rod?? ok no biggy 7 foot heavy action -i like fenwick- 12 pound mono to start. recently i have been using 25 pound fireline..

zooker
Old 10-23-07, 08:12 PM   #19
lunker-lander

Send a message via MSN to lunker-lander

Well Jigger, I too throw a 3/8 oz. spinnerbait about 90% of the time and love throwing them on my Falcon LowRider 6'7'' Bass Spinner Rod. Great choice and not too pricy, 109.99 for the rod. You could also go with the St.Croix Sniper Spinnerbait, don't know the exact price but from the looks of it, she sounds like she'll perform well enough -- I mean, it is a St.Croix, right?

-ll
Old 10-24-07, 05:51 PM   #20
zooker

st crow -eww thank you no...

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.