Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-20-08, 06:27 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Gimmicks

What are some fishing "gimmicks" that come to mind that have come and gone and proven to have very little value?? The one I think of (I'm dating myself here) is the Color-C-Lector. Anyone remember it?? The way I remember it you stuck a probe in the water and it told you what color bait to tie on. Did I buy one? Uh, yeah I did. A sucker is born every minute PT Barnum said.

So, what gimmicks can you remember that have come and gone? What are some products on the market now that you think are destined for gimmick status??????
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:04 PM   #2
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I remember that color selector Jigger. I believer I had one of those too. Ha. A sucker born every minute. But then I was about 13 at the time. I bought one of those Romco Pocket Fisherman too. What a piece of junk that was. LOL
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:12 PM   #3
JB

all those gimmics tend to catch one or two fish for the novice, but our level of expertise is far advanced ..having said that, some that were on tv alot
were the flying lure, banjo minnow, some crankbaits that either sent a sonic signal or had a light on them..the helicopter lure and so on..
We all got to see ppl sell out on commercials *ahem roland martin* helicopter lure for example.
I'm sure there are more, its a darn shame the whizbang never got marketed nationally.
You new members should try to pry some info out of the vets here on the very few whizbangs still in existance..most of us own them and its been a well hid secret ....till now i guess.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:28 PM   #4
zooker

the dragon fly/lilly pad lure comes to mind i have one sits on my mantel..

dammit jb!!! why did you go tellin them about dem for??

we needin to take his wizbangs away and his card to carry them..

zooker
Old 05-20-08, 07:38 PM   #5
JB

newbs click here for year old secret discussion on whizbang
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:52 PM   #6
bamabassman

well......... i got somethn once too. have any of you ever gotten the helicopter lure from roland martin? yes i have the box. it is in the boat too, lmao. gonna see if anyone wants to ry em at the get together, hahahahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-08, 07:56 PM   #7
3dkicker
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send them to BassAdict so that he can catch them Chick. river bass on those helicopter lures. Supposedly the bass are back on this river system and the only real way to find out is to throw one deep into the pads and see if ol' bucketmouth sucks one under.
Old 05-20-08, 08:32 PM   #8
zooker

jb
a year ago?? try 3 years ago.. notice how every ones post/usernamed got all messed up there for awhile..

which is why i always sign it..
V
zooker
Old 05-21-08, 10:41 AM   #9
WTL

Didn't Tom use the color c lector? Trying to remember here.

Zipper worms were one. Yea they will catch fish, any better than a regular worm? Uh, no.

They used to sell something called the sonic lure in cheap magazines. Wonder what happened to that.
Old 05-21-08, 11:20 AM   #10
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

How many of yuall been to Dolly-wood and got one of deese things? It's got a big ole 4.0 ewg. Polly won't let me use it, so I don't know if it catches fish, she says it just a gimmick. Maybe you guys can let me know.
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 11:21 AM   #11
brushhog

Is anybody going to bring up the zookenstein?? Bear and I have carried on our quest for a z-stein to many exotic locations.... yet to locate. Perhaps it is time to file another report.
Old 05-21-08, 11:27 AM   #12
doc

Im a not so proud buyer of the "origional fishing snake". I actually like the action and look of the bait, and believe it or not have caught a bass on them the one time I've used them. But there very hard to throw, plus keeping them in the refrigerator sucks, I've ran off and left them pretty much every time I plan on taking them, and now the hot part of the year is here.

Not to mention you only get 3 blacks and 3 browns, then a **** ton of reds and whites.
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 11:28 AM   #13
doc

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan View Post
How many of yuall been to Dolly-wood and got one of deese things? It's got a big ole 4.0 ewg. Polly won't let me use it, so I don't know if it catches fish, she says it just a gimmick. Maybe you guys can let me know.
If i was a fish, this would definatly catch me
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 11:29 AM   #14
stanley
BassFishin.Com Member

what about the Banjo Minnow i have not used one but it look like a Gimmick form what i here
stanley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 01:57 PM   #15
Raul

I own one of the early Color C Lector units, nope I didnīt bite the hook back then , a friend of mine did , whe he passed away I inherited the unit, itīs still there gathering dust and the only reason why it hasnīt kissed the trash bin is because it has sentimental value.

My back then girlfriend ( now my SHE WHO MUST BE OBEYED AT ALL COST ) gave me a Helicopter lure kit as B-day present, itīs still there gathering dust, only reason why it hasnīt kissed the trash bin is because ..... aw, cīmon guyz, yaīll know why.

Ok, I bit the hook one ocassion, anybody remember the Heddon Cousin and heddon Cousin II lures ? I have a couple of each and I swear to the AllMighty that Iīve even tried hard to loose them tossing them into the nastiest mesquite tree mess and how, I donīt know, they always unsnag ( I bet that if I cast one of my other cranks into that and itīs going to hang up like .... FOREVER !!!!! ), never caught even a cold on any of them so now they rest in the tacklebox I have for "valuable" lures, only reasons they havenīt kissed the trash bin is because they donīt make them anymore, they look funny and ...... to remind me of my own stupidity.

Have you noticed that most of the junk you get always comes as a gift you just canīt get rid of ?
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-08, 02:14 PM   #16
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3dkicker View Post
Send them to BassAdict so that he can catch them Chick. river bass on those helicopter lures. Supposedly the bass are back on this river system and the only real way to find out is to throw one deep into the pads and see if ol' bucketmouth sucks one under.
I need to figure something out by Saturday! Maybe the Helicopter lure is the ticket I need!!!
Old 05-21-08, 02:17 PM   #17
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post

Have you noticed that most of the junk you get always comes as a gift you just canīt get rid of ?
yeah remember the fuzzy zebra print cowboy hats??

i see they re-released the bill dance swimmin eel..can you say "WHY??"

zooker
Old 05-21-08, 02:23 PM   #18
Raul

A sucker is born every minute PT Barnum said.

I too had one of those swimming eels , my mom gave it to me as one of the many fishing junk b-day presents Iīve had over the years, canīt say much about it, I hung it up on a tule weedbed on the first cast and never came back so I could make a more "in depth study" about itīs fish catching properties.
Old 05-21-08, 02:33 PM   #19
zooker

what raul?? your saying you owned a swimmin eel but not a fuzzy zebra print cowboy hat and YOUR from the texas/mexico border area..

zooker
Old 05-21-08, 02:59 PM   #20
Raul

Well, I ainīt the cowboysi kinda guy, so, no zebra print hats for me.

However got some "tropical" shirts my mom brought me from Hawaii, they shure give "bright colors" definition a whole new dimension.
Old 05-21-08, 03:31 PM   #21
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
i see they re-released the bill dance swimmin eel..can you say "WHY??"

zooker
absolute crap. I bought to try, it ran way off and when I tried to adjust it by bending the line tie, it split the lip.

BB
Old 05-21-08, 03:43 PM   #22
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

Fish Pen..

Great idea as long as it stayed on paper. Saw a poor fool try to use it one day and the damn thing wouldn't cast. You had to physically pull as much line as you wish out of the spool, then flip that out.

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.