Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-26-11, 06:56 PM   #1
Jigger
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default GPS question

With the lakes at an all time low around here, I'd like to buy a hand held GPS and mark some out-of-water stump beds, rock piles, brush piles humps, concrete foundations, etc. that bass will hang around when the water rises. I already have depth finders on the console and the trolling motor. I do not want GPS capability on them. I want a very simple handheld unit.

I know absolutely nothing about GPS.

Here are some questions:

1. Is GPS accurate enough to mark the location of a rock pile, say, 8'x10' so that I can get back to it and fish it?

2. If the answer to question one is yes, would it show me when I'm, say, 50 ft. from the rock pile so I could cast to it without spooking the fish or would I have to get right over the rock pile and drop a marker buoy on it? Or something else? As you can see, I know nothing.

3. How would I go about marking this type of structure? Would I have to get out of my boat and go stand on it or could I stay in my boat and mark an object 50 or a hundred yards away?

4. Do you think a GPS would accomplish what I'm wanting to do?

5. Can you recommend a simple to use unit? I don't get along well with technology. I want to keep it as simple as possible. No bells and whistles. I only want to mark or record, or whatever the word is, objects that are now out of the water that will hopefully be underwater when the Spring rains come.

Thanks
Jigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-11, 08:22 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

this is an interesting question. i am looking forward to reading the responses.
Old 11-26-11, 09:30 PM   #3
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Answer is yes a hand held you could walk up to and place a waypoint,then with pc cord could enter into pc then transfer to a marine gps unit.
Same accuracy as marine generally within 50ft,most are tad better than that.
Entering the waypoint would be no different than if in a boat and foundit,stand at the edge and mark,when going back in the boat merely stop short and toss,no different than we do if marked marine,myself I make two one marking the spot the other where I want to be at for the cast.,about 30 ft away.Using boat electronics in coordinated effort would be no different other than harder to find with water up.
I myself when in drawndown run around in the boat and mark stuff i see visually for later.
Any of the cheap hand helds that are non plotter as its a feature not needed,providing one can hook it up to a pc would do.Without the pc part one could still carry the handheld go to each then mark with the marine,when wet.
And its a good idea.Handheld used is about 50 bucks
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 10:12 AM   #4
Top Tiger

I don't think a handheld unit will get you close enough to underwater structure to pitch accurately. Especially, in a big body of water. Not without a reference to landmarks. As I recall, GPS, without the WASA filter is accurate to about 60ft. With the filter (available in high dollar commercial units) they're good to about 10ft. Not close enough to find a certain rock underwater.
When the water is low, get those GPS waypoints but also take pictures with sight lines to landmarks, then put those numbers and photos in a notebook for the lakes you fish.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 10:30 AM   #5
kennethdaysale

I know you're asking about GPS but I think TT is right. Google triangulation, then take a camera and a notebook out to your spots.
Old 11-27-11, 02:05 PM   #6
champman

Wink

Hey Jigger, Speaking from my own experiance, a GPS system is a must have item for any type of boating,ie. you will never be lost. As far as marking fishing spots, way points, you can mark them when you find them with your depth finder or get an all in one unit with split screen capabilities.Most GPS units have alarms to let you know when you are approaching your target. You set the distance you want and lock it in. Also most state departments of conservation have locator maps of state installed brush piles on their websites with lat. and long. numbers so you can punch them into your GPS hit save then go to it when you hit the lake. Hope this will help you. P.S. Don't settle for a " just okay " unit, get a good one and you will thank yourself for it when you REALLY need to know where you are.
champman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-11, 03:49 PM   #7
lilmule

Well guess im an oddball that got lucky took an I finder out and a rhino made them, took them with water back up and with single beam fish finder and found them,then transferred to hummingbird gps on the boat.
Much more accurate than my memory,in particular with water over it.
I always set two waypoints one at target and one back off where I want the boat.
If I recall accuracy on my 700 dollar bird unit is only 50 ft,and a cloudy day can mess that up.
Navionics itself has errors my gold has an island about 1 1/2 miles away from where it is run across it all the time water is 12 ft deep where its supposed to be land,my 785c2i also has me sitting about 30 ft over on land when at the dock,the 755c with external ant is more accurate.The internal is about as accurate as a hand held but with either can find my spots when using a ff in unison.
It is for the accuracy of the 755c im getting a ducer and will run on troller,easier to find all quickly every time.
With the internal 785c2i at console using both one to get close other to get on or where I want to be.
But all in all a handheld can be a handy tool.

Last edited by lilmule; 11-27-11 at 04:12 PM.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.