Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-13-11, 09:04 AM   #1
syd
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Bait casting reels

I looked back about 3 months worth on this forum hoping i could find the answer but really didn't. Each Christmas i always get a $100.00 gift certificate from Bass Pro. This year i want to spend it on a baitcasting reel. Mainly for crankbaits either a 5.4 or 6.4 retrieve. Right now leaning toward the Lews reel at around that price.
There are a lot of very knowledgeable people on this forum whose opinion has gone along way with helping my fishing this past year in many ways. Those opinions have also saved me a lot of money on some purchases i almost made.
All input appreciated.
thank you
syd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-11, 09:26 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Only reel I've used around that range is the BPS Pro Qualifier. For the price, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend it. If you wait until their spring sale, they usually go on sale. That would leave you with some money left to spend.

I have the 5.2:1 model mounted on a 7'6" MH Glass cranking stick and it works good. The reel is smooth and casts well, even down to 1/4oz cranks (even though the rod isn't well suited to baits that light).

I haven't used one on the water, but I played around with some of the Lew's reels at Cabela's. They feel quite nice, although my main focus was the Tournament Pro. I know there's a couple guys with some experience with Lew's on here who can help you with those.

BB
Old 12-13-11, 12:44 PM   #3
DVT Mike

The PQ is a proven performer and comes in several configurations including a crankin' model. As of yesterday they were on sale for $89 but out of stock.
Old 12-13-11, 07:13 PM   #4
Tavery5
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I own both, and prefer the Lew's. The biggest difference between the two reels is the dual braking of the PQ and oversized handle on the Lew's. To me Lew's is the better caster of the two. For the money either will make a nice reel and I don't see you going wrong with either one.
Old 12-13-11, 08:35 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I would have to say for my money in that price range, the PQ is my choice. I own 3 of them, and use two of the three for crankbaits. Never have a problem and they work exceptionally well.
Old 12-15-11, 05:40 PM   #6
dave0943

I have both the Pq's and Lew's Tournament model just below the Tournament Pro. The model I have is a dual brake model as well. I do like both but prefer the Lew's. I spent last season using PQ in three ratio's, Revo, curado and Lew's. Lets just say I don't loose a step with any of them. I am getting partial to Lew's. I plan on adding a few more this coming season.
dave0943 is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.