Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 08-15-08, 04:54 PM   #1
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

Default What now?

I have been fishing a 2500 acre lake nereby and we have been doing well with T-rigs and crank baits until about 5:30 or 6pm then its like a switch turns off and the bass quit. We have tried swimbaits, jerkbaits and spinnerbaits no response. We also try topwater as it gets near dusk, again nothing. We have picked up 1 or 2 with T-rigs later but nothing to speak of. What do you guys think?
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-08, 04:56 PM   #2
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

What is the depth you are fishing until that point? From shore or boat? I ask because I would suspect that bass are moving towards the shallows. Also, does the lake have a dam? If so, does yoru time correspond with a change in water level?
Old 08-15-08, 05:18 PM   #3
Showda
BassFishin.Com Member

We are fishing from a boat. fishing mostly shore line cover, under water stumps etc. this lake has a dam but near the dam its about 120' deep. We are finding the bass in flats 15' and less. there is an old river channel that runs thru what is called Bollar Flats. We have did well mid day running crank baits over the lip of the channel where it goes from about 4' to 15' in some places. The surface temp is about 78 to 82 now.

The place is called Lake Moomaw. Cass didnt you say you was from my area? Maybe you have fished it.
Showda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 11:05 PM   #4
pignjig
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My club's fished Moomaw for several years. I'm not sure of the name of the ramp we usually put in at, but I think its Fortney Branch. If the water's not too low, try a GP finesse jig and a downsized C-rig along the riprap to the right of the ramp. Also, the area at Cole's Point and the coves to the west have been productive. Down size the line and bait and drag it up the points. DS and wacky jigs are also pretty productive when the bite slows down. Good luck...
pignjig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-08, 11:38 PM   #5
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think p&j is on to something. I remember a fishing trip I made once to Minnesota to fish for pike. We tried all the usual lures that had worked before. Nothing seemed to work. Then I tied on a small 1/8 oz. twister beetle spin to try to catch a few panfish and perch. To my surpise, the pike along with every ther type of fish in the lake went nuts over that small offering. And so it went the rest of the week. While the pike refused every other "pike" lure, they could not resist a tiny 1/8oz bettle spin. Try downsizing to smaller baits and see if that gets their attention.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-08, 12:24 PM   #6
cassidyta
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Showda, it has been over a decade since I fished that one. I want to say that we went to small rapalas in the evening. If that is true, then I was probably throwing countdowns. That has been my go to bait if the situation is how you describe it.
Old 08-17-08, 01:10 PM   #7
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

i know where your at ,, i got a buddy that fishs it , i was going to go up there to do some fishing back in the sprind but thing happen, i would a fluke or jig
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.