Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-09-10, 05:29 PM   #1
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144
Default Rod for Lipless Cranks

Alright guys, I'm getting my rods set up for the next fishing trip, and one of the things I'm definitely going to have tied on is a lipless crank. I rarely every fish these, and normally just tie it on whatever rod doesn't have something on it when I do use them.

But this time, it'll be on all day, so I want the rod that is better suited to throwing them than just any empty rod. I've got two rods available to throw them: a 6'6" MH F and a 7' M F. I'll mostly be throwing normal sized rat-l-traps and XCalibur Xr50s.

Which one would you use?

BB
Old 03-09-10, 05:32 PM   #2
basstastic
BassFishin.Com Member

If you are throwing it all day i would use the 6'6" MH because if the M rod has a true medium action your wrists will be worn out by the end of the day.
basstastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:01 PM   #3
bassboogieman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I'd throw the 7' M in open water or light vegetation. Minimal effort to launch a trap a long way. I don't go to a MH unless I want to rip them out of grass, and that would be a longer rod also.
bassboogieman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 06:37 PM   #4
Jrob78

If you're fishing grass I would go with the MH, open water M. I fish traps with a moderate action rod and it is great in open water but it doesn't work so well when grass is involved. I would think the MH to M would be about the same.

Traps have been my most productive bait by a mile so far this year, different part of the country but if I were you I would devote a good portion of your day fishing them.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 07:10 PM   #5
WaffleJaw

BB,I use my 6'6'' MH mod/fast Rainshadow for lipless cranks..Its works really well for me and how I fish them....I like the action I get from the slower tip,It feels smoother to me on the raises and drops...Fish dont bite it but I enjoy it!!.hahaha!

(crying)
Old 03-09-10, 07:54 PM   #6
BigBassin144

Thanks guys, there isn't any vegetation where I'm fishing now, so I think I'm going to go with the 7' M F due to the distance thing.

BB
Old 03-09-10, 08:21 PM   #7
Rebbasser

If it has treble hooks I throw it on a M action rod. The exception is a big bruiser like a Series 5 or DD-22. Those I throw on a MH action rod. I'd go with the M action.
Old 03-09-10, 08:32 PM   #8
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I use a 7' m glass rod,unless I throw braid than I use a 7' mh graphite
Old 03-09-10, 09:54 PM   #9
BeaverIslander
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Either one would work just fine. Just match the line and rod to best suit the technique if you want to make it a technique specific setup. For example, low stretch line for the MM, high stretch mono for the MHF.

I use a 7' composite med power, med action rod for most crankbait fishing but I sometimes toss them, especially heavier ones, on my buzzbait rod, a graphite 6' 6" MHF rod. Most lipless cranks are 1/2 to 3/4 oz so a MH works just fine. I use low stretch fluoro or 15 lb braid on the MM and high stretch mono on the MHF to even things out. Also, a lipless crank is the about the easiest casting lure there is. You can launch them on any rod.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 10:24 PM   #10
screwballl

I prefer 7' Med rods for most lures along those lines. Anything shorter and you may have tennis elbow or shoulder for the next 3 weeks.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:09 PM   #11
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeaverIslander View Post
Either one would work just fine. Just match the line and rod to best suit the technique if you want to make it a technique specific setup. For example, low stretch line for the MM, high stretch mono for the MHF.

I use a 7' composite med power, med action rod for most crankbait fishing but I sometimes toss them, especially heavier ones, on my buzzbait rod, a graphite 6' 6" MHF rod. Most lipless cranks are 1/2 to 3/4 oz so a MH works just fine. I use low stretch fluoro or 15 lb braid on the MM and high stretch mono on the MHF to even things out. Also, a lipless crank is the about the easiest casting lure there is. You can launch them on any rod.
Very well put BeaverIsland. This is my approach, rod wise too. I use a 7' MM composite for the majority of my crankbait fishing. When I fish heavy grass I move to a 7' MHF for lipless cranks.

I don't think people pay enough attention to the different attributes of different lines and how to use them to their advantage. Good post!
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-10, 11:58 PM   #12
BeaverIslander

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Very well put BeaverIsland. This is my approach, rod wise too. I use a 7' MM composite for the majority of my crankbait fishing. When I fish heavy grass I move to a 7' MHF for lipless cranks.

I don't think people pay enough attention to the different attributes of different lines and how to use them to their advantage. Good post!
TY, Jrob78!
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-10, 04:49 PM   #13
3dkicker

You need to use the one with the most give in the upper part of the rod. Traps are known for their ability to be thrown by bass. Especially when they slap at them and don't eat them. Out of the five I caught on a trap last week only one had a hook inside the mouth. I was fortunate that they didn't shake their heads when they came up. Also I had S-glass rods and mono line. Sharp hooks help too.
Old 03-14-10, 04:55 PM   #14
Cavs1123

I would use a 6'6" MH
Old 03-15-10, 11:30 AM   #15
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
If you're fishing grass I would go with the MH, open water M. I fish traps with a moderate action rod and it is great in open water but it doesn't work so well when grass is involved. I would think the MH to M would be about the same.

Traps have been my most productive bait by a mile so far this year, different part of the country but if I were you I would devote a good portion of your day fishing them.
Agreed... I fished a 7' M this past weekend and it would have been nice to have the MH to rip it out of the grass. I would definitely suggest any 7' over the 6'6" or you may end up with a sore shoulder from trying to launch it farther.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-10, 03:15 PM   #16
BigBassin144

Well, we weren't able to go this weekend due to weather (more because of the wind than the rain in our smaller boat). But I did finish getting everything ready for next weekend (hopefully!).

There's no grass or weeds that I know of this time of year, so I've got an XCalibur Xr50 tied on to my 7' M F. I've decided to use the 6'6' MH F for spinnerbaits next weekend.

Thanks again for the input guys.

BB
Old 03-15-10, 04:10 PM   #17
nofearengineer

I would add one thing for fishing traps. Conventional wisdom with treble hooks it to use line with some stretch in it, or to use a medium action rod. I have actually found this to be a bit scary at times, especially if you are into hard hooksets.

Yes, traps have treble hooks, but they also don't have a lip to keep them from coming out of the water at 100 mph and lodging themselves in your eyeball. With traps, I would much rather just be conscious of what I am doing, use a MH rod, and make shorter, quicker "jab" type hooksets.
Old 03-15-10, 08:03 PM   #18
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
I would add one thing for fishing traps. Conventional wisdom with treble hooks it to use line with some stretch in it, or to use a medium action rod. I have actually found this to be a bit scary at times, especially if you are into hard hooksets.

Yes, traps have treble hooks, but they also don't have a lip to keep them from coming out of the water at 100 mph and lodging themselves in your eyeball. With traps, I would much rather just be conscious of what I am doing, use a MH rod, and make shorter, quicker "jab" type hooksets.
True Dat, No FEar!! BUUUT! When you are fishing the early submergent vegetation like you would have on Guntersville or Lake Fork, that stretch will get you buried in the grass. I fish braided line in the grass, but often put a 14 pound mono leader on (about 5'). I don't know if it really stretches, maybe it's a mental thing for the very reasons you point out. I do know that you want to be able to "pop" the bait off the grass to get that reaction strike and you can't do that with a lot of stretch on a long cast with all mono.
Old 03-15-10, 08:33 PM   #19
nofearengineer

That's my point, Bob. I want a heavier rod for traps, so I can "snap" them out of weeds, rather than having to load up the rod and line for a potential slingshot back into my face. Rattletraps are fun, but dangerous hehe.
Old 03-15-10, 08:43 PM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
That's my point, Bob. I want a heavier rod for traps, so I can "snap" them out of weeds, rather than having to load up the rod and line for a potential slingshot back into my face. Rattletraps are fun, but dangerous hehe.
A fairly stiff rod is a must for that reason, no doubt, but to also horse those big ol sowbelly bass out of the grass once you get them on. Although I have seen that scene you described get played out over and again. I have taken to holding my rod to the side and encourgage my backseater to hold his rod to the side (opposite of the side I'm standing on! lol) to lessen the opportunity to practice a little hook removal!
Old 03-17-10, 06:46 PM   #21
Strike_King 609

http://i113.photobucket.com/albums/n...hadBZ1shad.jpg

I throw all of these on a 7ft Med Mojo Bass rod with 12lbs Flurocarbon
Strike_King 609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 02:15 PM   #22
Garry2rs

Rattle baits tend to have small hooks.
It can be difficult to get a good deep hookset in a big bass' bony mouth. I like the MH graphite rods for that reason, as well as their grass ripping ability.
Garry2rs
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:09 PM   #23
Frank C
BassFishin.Com Member

Hey bb

Look at the Powell max 753 for small traps or the 754 for big traps. Tackel wearhouse has a new powell rod they designed for traps and spookes called cb705st.You could also see a video at tackel werehouse web site

hope this helps
Frank
Frank C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 09:45 PM   #24
Solidbad
BassFishin.Com Member

Personally I would use the 7' M F. I like a little bit of a weaker tip to keep from jerking the trap out of it's mouth. You don't need a hookset on a trap so a MH isn't necessary in most situations.
Solidbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-10, 11:27 PM   #25
BigBassin144

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank C View Post
Hey bb

Look at the Powell max 753 for small traps or the 754 for big traps. Tackel wearhouse has a new powell rod they designed for traps and spookes called cb705st.You could also see a video at tackel werehouse web site

hope this helps
Frank
I looked at those the other day, but I'm not in the market for lipless rod.

I did get to the fish a trap today for a bit. I'm fishing it on the 7' M F. I can cast that thing a long way, even into the wind. I think I'll use it from now on for the rare occasions that I do throw a lipless.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.