Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-14-08, 07:57 PM   #1
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Finally up and running, REALLY!

Rather than run an everlasting thread about the motor on my Astro 2000, I decided to wait until the pain subsided!
I sent my motor to Northwest Florida Outboard Machine Shop, just south of Jay, Florida (near Pensacola). In fact the owner came and picked up my Mariner Mag EFI 200 HP in boxes on September 27. They brought it back on October 9th and hung it on the Astro. I handed them $4225.00, in cash. I started the break in in accordance with thier warranty policy.

The policy required 4-6 hours of "idle only", Which I later discovered is not the right break in technique for EFI engines, fortunately no harm done. During the entire idling period the motor vibrated horribly. Finally I got through the idle period and decided to jump her up on pad and check it out, NOT. It slugged out of the hole and never topped 3500 RPMs! Drove me crazy so I called NWFL Outboard Machine Shop and was told that it sounded like a stator, power packs or something along those lines, which they did not guarantee. OK now I had to find someone locally to check it out.
I finally found someone who wasn't too busy to look at the motor. Spent $204 the first go round to find out that the throttle linkage, timing advance linkage and most of the wiring was ran incorrectly. The idle stops were wrong blah blah blah. I took it out and it came out of the hole a little better, but still sounde like it was running on just a couple of cylinders and never topped 4200 RPMS. This was really starting to drive me nuts!

I took it back to the local guy who then re-checked the stator, power packs, voltage regulators, Bias network, Fuel injectors, computer, you name it! Finally, I said sarcastically, "they probably reversed my pistons?". The local guys eyebrows raised and he dissappeared and came back with a bore scope and spark plug wrench. We took out #3 and #4 and took a quick look. SURE ENOUGH! the port piston was on the starboard side and vice versus! This cost another $256.
I called the owner down in Tuesday Nov 4 (election day) and asked him if he could work on it if I brought it down. He said yup and had an apartment on the premises for me to stay. I was on vacation without a boat so what could I lose! I drove 6 hours that afternoon and got there to watch the polls close (dang it all! that was a miserable night!).
The next day they pulled the head covers to reveal not two but four pistons reversed. They pulled the computer/injector box off the front and carefully removed the rod bearings and tslipped the pistons through the head side. I had them ring gap check all six to be on the safe side. Then I personally watched them rig it back up. WE dropped it in a test pond and the thing jumped on pad like it was suppose to. They reimbursed me $400 of the $456, and it cost me another $120 in gas to get down there, but I'll absorb that.
By 5 PM EST I was back on the road to Georgia and got home around 11 Pm on Wednesday.
Ran another 20 gallons of extra oil mix through on Thursday, and fished. Then shook her down good on Friday morning! Finally up and running now.
She's hooked up to the truck and sitting in the driveway ready for a tournament tomorrow. First tournament out of my own boat since April! I am ready in spite of the lousy weather forecast!
Old 11-14-08, 09:41 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

bob...that is great news buddy. glad that you have FINALLY gotten your boat back. so very sorry it took you so long and was a lot of trouble. lesson learned for me after reading and talking to you and seeing what you had to go through. good luck on the tourny tomorrow. let me and the rest of us know how you and your rig does.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 10:39 PM   #3
MississippiBoy

About time, Bob. I'd be itching to fish so bad through the whole process, nobody would be able to stand me. Glad you finally got it hoing.
MississippiBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-08, 11:20 PM   #4
woody

Hey Bob, is it safe to say that if anyone needs to get ahold of you, they should just leave a message. Lol
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 01:49 AM   #5
Basscrazie
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Man that made me mad just reading the story..Glad your back in the saddle.
Basscrazie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-08, 12:25 PM   #6
bamabassman

yea gang, after reading this i thought about calling bob. but i said no.... he is too busy right now,lmao. i'll call him a little later, maybe sunday evening.
Old 11-16-08, 11:34 AM   #7
Bob Smith

Thanks, guys! Fishing was rotten yesterday, but the boat ran fine! It sure was nice having my boat back on the water again. The fishing was horrible, the weather was "interesting" with rain, wind, and dropping temps all day long. We caught short fish all day and only managed one keeper (barely), and were beat by two other boats (one with two barely keeper fish, and the winner with three keepers for 3 pounds total). Brutal!
Now I need to get over to Alabama and get some Guntersville fish before the cold weather drops the water temps too much.
Old 11-17-08, 12:08 AM   #8
bamabassman

you better hurry bob, the temps will be COLD ALL WEEK HERE BUDDY. i ain't going out till maybe the next week,lmao. i can't handle "shrinkage", hahahahaha.
Old 11-23-08, 08:06 AM   #9
1FASTLASER

Hmmmmm..............what was that name of the marina or mechanic that rebuilt that motor. Anyways glad you up and running bud. Just a heads up for ya though. After running that engine through breakin with pistons installed on the wrong side did you yourself inspect the pistins and bearings?????? Hopefully no burnt spots on pistons or scuffing of the walls was there. Also was a good inspection of the crank done. Yes its possible that no damage was done but I myself would been very leary considering that the motor was essentially put together backwards. Another question also comes to mind. Did they ever fire the engine before shipping to you???? Lots of grey area here. I am just giving you a heads up not to unnerve you but to inform you. Hopefully there was some type of extended warranty offered to you at no cost. Any problem that may arise from a...... excuse the term "MAJOR SCREW UP"......should show up pretty quickly but with engines especially outboards could possible show up at a later date. Does the boat perform as well now as it use to before the rebuild???? In all actuality it should run better than it ever has and should get better each time out.
Old 11-25-08, 08:36 AM   #10
Bob Smith

1FL, I took the boat back down there, armed for Bear, knowing what to look for after talking with my local mechanic. I was there during the tear down and made them take all six pistons out (not just the four reversed). We did a ring gap check on all six and looked for scoring and burnt spots. All looked good.
They admitted that they only fired the motor up and ran it for about 30 minutes before loading it on the truck and sending it to me.
The shop is located north of Pensacola, FL. and has it's own machine shop. The owner has been building motors for a very long time and has owned shops down in Miami and all over Florida. The problem is that he doesn't do the work any more. It would appear that he is very hard to work for and has huge turnover. The guy that worked on my motor apparent screwed several other motors up and didn't have anyone watching him (not good). He's gone now. Of the three mechanics I met the day I was there, one was new and had a serious attitude problem and made several mistakes that the guy working on my motor saw him make (and corrected him). I don't think he'll be there long, if he's not gone already.
It was an experience for me. I kinda wish I would've spent the extra $1000 and had it done locally.

As for your other question, I am about through with the second 40 gals of gas and it is really coming on strong now. It runs really great, in fact I may lower my JP back down a little because it's getting really light now. I ran it Sunday afternoon, air temps around 55 and water temp at 57. The motor was loving it and giving me one helluva ride!
Old 11-25-08, 11:21 AM   #11
Abbeysdad

Quite the story Bob - too bad you had so much trouble but good to hear you finally got her running right. On the up side, treat her well and you'll have your line in the water a long time.
Abbeysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 11:42 AM   #12
woody

Thumbs up

Bob, thanks for keeping us posted, I now know what to look for, in case this ever happens to me.
Bob if you would, run it WOT for me one time! LOL
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-08, 12:16 PM   #13
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by woody View Post
Bob, thanks for keeping us posted, I now know what to look for, in case this ever happens to me.
Bob if you would, run it WOT for me one time! LOL

It's been there already and I can assure you that it will be WOT again! The motor is truly a testiment to good maintenance since I ran it for 11 years without any problems. Even the best of motors will eventually wear out. Good gas and good oil, fresh spark plugs and a good water pump is how you keep them going.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.