Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-15-10, 02:39 PM   #1
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default TransOptic??

So it's time to get some more line so I've been searching all the new lines out now. I'm wanting try out something fresh and new, so I came across the Berkley Trilene TransOptic line. Seems neato, but not a lot of talk about it on here. Anyone using it? If so, what's your thoughts on it? Thanks
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-10, 02:43 PM   #2
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Seems like a really good line for fishing in low light conditions too. My only concern is to how to how low stretch and sensitive it is. If it is, I'd make GREAT worming line.

What do you plan on using it for sac?
Old 02-15-10, 02:47 PM   #3
sac

I plan to use it for my worming set up lol. I just ran out of my 1500 yrd spool of P-Line CX, I liked it a lot........Trying to try some other stuff out
Old 02-15-10, 02:55 PM   #4
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
I plan to use it for my worming set up lol. I just ran out of my 1500 yrd spool of P-Line CX, I liked it a lot........Trying to try some other stuff out
Hmm, my be a little off the topic, but P-line CXX is great for worming, lower stretch and more sensitive. Also try P-line evolution, it's suppose to be low stretch too, and probably more manageable too. Serially thinner.

12lb Evolution .29 mm DIA
12lb CXX .37mm DIA

Old 02-15-10, 11:10 PM   #5
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

The Transoptic got good marks in BassMaster magazine (either Jan or Feb issue, I forget which) and I saw it when I picked up my last spool of the Pline CX... but I figured I would stick with what I know works and works well. Maybe next time or if I get a strange itch (the type that does not require a visit to the doctor) I will pick up a 300yd spool to give it a try.... I know its coming close to time to replace the line in my spincast reel...
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 01:12 PM   #6
Backwater Charlie

Best worming line = Suffix Elite, clear/blue color.

You can easily see the clear/blue color (made popular by Stren) and this line is just amazing, I love it.
Old 02-16-10, 02:23 PM   #7
cpbcop
BassFishin.Com Member

Default transoptic

Personnaly, I think giving this new line a try is worth it. The key to this line is it's enhanced visibility above water and deminished visibility below. I call it a "niche" line, i.e. it will fill a particular/specific situation. In this case, a line watchers line. It's performance on the reel (castability), strength, stretch and abrasion resistance are other factors that us anglers need to factor into our judgement of the line. I think it would be a good line for more seasoned anglers like myself who now have difficulty seeing the line as readily as we once did. I plan on adding some to my wormin' set-ups. A line like this should help me to put more fish in the boat if it's overall performance matches it's visibility claims.
cpbcop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 02:49 PM   #8
sac

I think I might just go with it and try it out. If I don't like then I'm not out a bunch of money I'll let everyone know what I think when I get it. Thanks
Old 02-16-10, 06:19 PM   #9
BeaverIslander

Sounds like the monofilament equivalent to Berkley Vanish Fluorocarbon, which leaves behind an awful track record. I hope it's good, but I'm not in a rush to find out like I was with Vanish.

BTW, the color changing qualities of Vanish began to decline after just a few trips. I used only the red in 5 different diameters, and they all did this. Maybe the gold is better.
BeaverIslander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-10, 11:55 PM   #10
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Seaguar Invisx is a great line for worm fishing.

BB
Old 02-17-10, 08:31 PM   #11
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

I try a spool of just about every new line that comes out just to see how they act and if I could use it in any way. Bought a spool of Trans Optic in 10 lb test. My test reel I spool all new lines on is a 2500 size Shimano spinning reel.
I use filler on the spool and only spool up about 60 yards of the actual test line.
Trans Optic was terrible on the spinning reel, like a fine piano wire, even after being doused in Van Dams line conditioner it would not come off the spool without looping. I gave it an all day try, doused it, let it sit a few hours in the rod box with the line juice on it and still no go.
Tied a palomar knot Ok, caught a couple 3 pounders with it a T rigged worm, didn't seem to straighten the line out any. I still have the spool, will use it for backing.
Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 01:17 AM   #12
MarkB
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Trans Optic was terrible on the spinning reel
Dang it...sorry to see this...I was all set to try a spool too. I saw CXX mentioned a few times. I found that line too stiff in 10 lb and up however I found the 6 lb to be supple yet strong and currently use that for hair jiggin. Maybe I'll still try the TransOptic in 6 lb since I am a line watcher and was going to use it on my hair jig outfit.
MarkB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 01:30 AM   #13
Garry2rs

I read an article by a diver who said that some coloured mono lines fluoresce underwater and become highly visible...
For the last 8n years I have been using 10 and 20 pound Power-pro and last year, 15 pound Fireline Tracer on my spinning reels for Senko's etc.
Braid shows little or no line twist, has great strength for it's diameter and in red, yellow or tracer, it's easy to see...
If you're worried about the fish seeing it, tie on three feet of Fluorocarbon.
Garry2rs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 09:59 AM   #14
Basscat7
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkB View Post
Dang it...sorry to see this...I was all set to try a spool too. I saw CXX mentioned a few times. I found that line too stiff in 10 lb and up however I found the 6 lb to be supple yet strong and currently use that for hair jiggin. Maybe I'll still try the TransOptic in 6 lb since I am a line watcher and was going to use it on my hair jig outfit.
If you are a line watcher, you should try the P-line CX Premium, the one in the silver box, they make it with a very light blue tint to see above the waterline, but still nearly invisible below.

I use this in 10 lb. on the same 2500 Shimano spinning reel with no problems.

Basscat7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-10, 11:07 AM   #15
sac

I think I'm going to try it on my baitcaster just for fun anyway. I will buy another 1500yrd spool of P-Line CX while I'm there lol
Old 02-23-10, 02:06 PM   #16
sac

Well the Wal-Mart next to my office has TransOptic now so I got a spool of 15lbs. It looks pretty clear in the store but it changes it's color in the sun. We shall see how well it performs as soon as I get my new baitcaster in the mail.....the line color should look good with my set up too
Old 02-23-10, 02:35 PM   #17
screwballl

Quote:
Originally Posted by sac View Post
Well the Wal-Mart next to my office has TransOptic now so I got a spool of 15lbs. It looks pretty clear in the store but it changes it's color in the sun. We shall see how well it performs as soon as I get my new baitcaster in the mail.....the line color should look good with my set up too
Let us know.... and also make sure you test some Pline CX too so you can make a comparison for others here...
Old 02-23-10, 02:54 PM   #18
nova385

I just left gander Mt. and there was a $6 rebate offer if you buy 2 p-line products.
nova385 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-10, 03:13 PM   #19
sac

Quote:
Originally Posted by screwballl View Post
let us know.... and also make sure you test some Pline CX too so you can make a comparison for others here...
I just finished off my 1500yrd spool of P-line CX lol I should have a good baseline comparison the P-line will be hard to beat
Old 02-23-10, 04:21 PM   #20
screwballl

Agreed... for the money, CX and CXX is the best I have used, and now use it for pretty much everything top to bottom.

Occasionally I will use the mono setup for topwater on the river where the moving water drags anything down if it dips below the surface, and for heavy weed areas I have my braid setup... otherwise I use CX for almost everything.
Old 02-24-10, 10:14 AM   #21
doc
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Seaguar Invisx is a great line for worm fishing.

BB
Yes it is, their abraisx (spelling) line is also a good abrasion resistant floro. Seaguar is the only floro I use
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-10, 11:16 AM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Agreed... for the money, CX and CXX is the best I have used, and now use it for pretty much everything top to bottom.

Occasionally I will use the mono setup for topwater on the river where the moving water drags anything down if it dips below the surface, and for heavy weed areas I have my braid setup... otherwise I use CX for almost everything.
Evan for worming? How low stretch/sensitve is it compared to CXX?
Old 02-24-10, 12:10 PM   #23
screwballl

The only real difference I have found from CX to CXX is that CXX always tends to have more memory, especially on my spinning gear. Not sure of the difference or different copolymers used but it always has more memory, almost as much as many mono lines. Yet the CX (15lb and lower) is one of the few with little to no memory (the PowerPro braid 15lb also has zero memory on my spinning gear). The higher test CX, usually 20 lb and up does have some memory but still not as bad as the CXX.

Both are very low/no stretch so you feel every tick, nibble and bottom bump. I even have 6lb CX on my UL panfish spinning reel/5'6" rod and can feel every tiny nip from the bluegill which can be a blessing and a curse because I tend to yank it up more often on the harder bites when the hook is not in their small mouth.
Old 02-25-10, 01:00 AM   #24
Vegasspider

I use the Pline and Power Pro without exception on 90% of my rigs. I never have a spooling problem. I use 2500's as well and I still Mono some of my worm rigs it just seems to work for me here. It
Quote:
Originally Posted by Basscat7 View Post
If you are a line watcher, you should try the P-line CX Premium, the one in the silver box, they make it with a very light blue tint to see above the waterline, but still nearly invisible below.

I use this in 10 lb. on the same 2500 Shimano spinning reel with no problems.

Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-10, 09:34 AM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
The only real difference I have found from CX to CXX is that CXX always tends to have more memory, especially on my spinning gear. Not sure of the difference or different copolymers used but it always has more memory, almost as much as many mono lines. Yet the CX (15lb and lower) is one of the few with little to no memory (the PowerPro braid 15lb also has zero memory on my spinning gear). The higher test CX, usually 20 lb and up does have some memory but still not as bad as the CXX.

Both are very low/no stretch so you feel every tick, nibble and bottom bump. I even have 6lb CX on my UL panfish spinning reel/5'6" rod and can feel every tiny nip from the bluegill which can be a blessing and a curse because I tend to yank it up more often on the harder bites when the hook is not in their small mouth.
Thanks screw ball! I'm may have to check it out! Ever try p-line evolution though, it also boasts low stretch.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.