Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-18-10, 09:30 PM   #1
nofearengineer
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default For the Love of God....

I get home from work tonight, and a nice letter is staring at me in my mailbox. Its return address is the local County Court Judge. I'm like, "oh great...that Census form I just refused to fill out is already coming back to bite me in the butt?!?!"

Wrong.

I open it, and it just keeps getting better. It's a jury duty notice. Now, I really have no problem with serving on a jury...I think everyone should do it at least once in their lifetime. However, I look at the date on the form: 5/3/2010 - 7/30/2010. I seriously hope they don't ask me to be on a jury the first week of May, because they will just have to issue a bench warrant for my a$$, and they can come arrest me the minute I get back into their jurisdiction, when I cross the Ohio River on my way back from Dale Hollow.
Old 03-18-10, 09:32 PM   #2
TN_Bassin
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
5/3/2010 - 7/30/2010.

- Wowow thats a long time. Luckily if you make yourself seem self-important enough you'll be able to get out of it.
Old 03-18-10, 10:03 PM   #3
bcklash

They are guilty, You know they are guilty. Give'em the gas chamber and I'll be in Tenn. if you need me.
Old 03-18-10, 10:24 PM   #4
BassinNC
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I'm not a racist, but all you have to do is walk in and make a racist comment and they will send you home. It worked for me.
Old 03-18-10, 10:31 PM   #5
bamabassman

Or tell them you think the person should be fried right in friont of the tv cameras.
Old 03-18-10, 10:32 PM   #6
1/4 stick

I was on a jury a few years back. It wasn't a easy one to sit through, it was a shaken baby case. The ex baby-sitter was the one on trial. The poor child lived for two years after the brain damage was done, then past away as a result of the shaking.

I heard them asking the jurors before me how they felt about child abusers, and such questions, so I knew what kind of case it was before they actually told us. I didn't mind doing my duty, but I really didn't want to be seated on that kind of trial. So when the baby-sitter's lawyer asked me if I thought I could be fair in a child abuse case, I said no because I had kids of my own and if someone harmed them, if the law didn't kill them I couldn't say I wouldn't. Then her lawyer told the judge he was alright with me being on the jury. Won't long before I kinda felt bad for the baby-sitter, cause she had an idiot for an attornney.
Old 03-19-10, 12:32 AM   #7
Vegasspider

Thumbs down Wow really?

With all due respect, I would rethink that comment and strategy….

I could go on and on about the subject. Again with all due respect, that would never work for you here in fact it would not turn out the way you think it would. Or most anyware....

Quote:
Originally Posted by BassinNC View Post
I'm not a racist, but all you have to do is walk in and make a racist comment and they will send you home. It worked for me.
Vegasspider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 06:13 AM   #8
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

You'll probably be alright. I've only ever actually been called in for selection one time.
Old 03-19-10, 09:27 AM   #9
Bender

I got put on call for jury duty in Oakland County, MI a couple years ago. I only was on call for 2 weeks and had to call the Friday before to see if I needed to go the next week. I never had to go. I didn't really want to because it would be over an hour drive each way and most crimes in Pontiac are pretty serious violent crimes. Plus I travel for work and am on call all the time. I'm the only representative in the country for company I work for and I'm on call 24/7, might not work well in jury duty.

I wonder if you could call them and tell them you have a vacation scheduled that week and request to be off call that week? Explain you have already paid for it and make sure they know you are willing to do it the other weeks.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 11:40 AM   #10
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1/4 stick View Post
. So when the baby-sitter's lawyer asked me if I thought I could be fair in a child abuse case, I said no because I had kids of my own and if someone harmed them, if the law didn't kill them I couldn't say I wouldn't. Then her lawyer told the judge he was alright with me being on the jury. Won't long before I kinda felt bad for the baby-sitter, cause she had an idiot for an attornney.

Probably Pro-Bono work. I wouldn't be too gung-ho if the person I was defending was a child abuser.
Old 03-19-10, 11:46 AM   #11
WaffleJaw

http://www.wikihow.com/Get-Out-of-Jury-Duty

Good luck NF!!
Old 03-19-10, 01:16 PM   #12
screwballl

Waffle (and nofear), I would fall under #1 on that page... I am the only income in this household and any missed time could result in foreclosure of my home, repossession of our only vehicle and putting myself, my wife and daughters on the street due to the missed wages.

My wife had to use something similar to this 2 years ago saying she is a stay at home mom and there are no baby sitters available because our income is budgeted within a few dollars of each paycheck, and I (the husband) works 40+ hours per week.

I mean I wouldn't mind doing it just for the experience, and if I ever do get called up, I would ask my boss right away if I would still be paid for my wages (and get a signed letter from him if I would not). Some states require that the employer pay 75-100% of the employees wages for any timed missed due to jury duty.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-10, 02:30 PM   #13
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Probably Pro-Bono work. I wouldn't be too gung-ho if the person I was defending was a child abuser.
He was likely court appointed. But still there is an ethical duty for a lawyer to do his best to get a client off, or atleast get the lowest sentence possible, no matter what his morral tendancies are. But I agree with you, I don't think I could defend someone who had that strong of a case against her or him for child abuse. Especially if the child died as a result.
Old 03-19-10, 03:48 PM   #14
3dkicker

I did jury duty years ago. Almost made the 12 twice. Was in the top 15 out of 60 each time. I can tell you that a lot of time is wasted in a court house or at least from my point of view. I sat around for a long time to end up sitting in a court room to be asked one or two questions and then sit out in the lobby again for a couple hours and then told to go home. If you call me in then put me to work.......guilty or not guilty.
Old 03-19-10, 05:06 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

From the Wikihow article.

"In many states, it is possible to demonstrate that you are unable to serve on a jury for financial reasons. Proof of employment and/or wages, in addition to comprehensive financial statements and the previous year's taxes should all be brought to court with you on the first day you report to jury duty. If you can persuade the judge that it is unfeasible for you to miss work, you will have lost only one day of your time. Lying here would be inadvisable."

That should work Bryce. Just print out your paypal history and bring it in. They should definitely see why it is unfeasible for you to miss work

Seriously though, that sucks. Hope you don't have to miss Dale Hollow due to jury duty.

BB
Old 03-19-10, 09:49 PM   #16
nofearengineer

Well, my company only pays for 5 days of missed work due to jury duty. So hopefully, that would exclude me from anything too serious.
Old 03-20-10, 10:04 AM   #17
CamG

No one likes jury duty. But, at the same time if you are living in this country and enjoy the freedom in which we are given, I believe it is your/our responsibility to get in there and do the best job you can. With a simple turn of events, it could be your *** on the line the next time - sitting there hoping the people on the jury are fair and just.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 10:51 AM   #18
Jrob78

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
No one likes jury duty. But, at the same time if you are living in this country and enjoy the freedom in which we are given, I believe it is your/our responsibility to get in there and do the best job you can. With a simple turn of events, it could be your *** on the line the next time - sitting there hoping the people on the jury are fair and just.
You are exactly right Cam. No one likes jury duty, myself included but it is one of the things that makes this country so great. Could you imagine getting arrested and charged with some trumped up charge and didn't have the jury process? You would be relying on some judge or whomever who has an agenda to decide your fate.
Jrob78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-10, 04:11 PM   #19
nofearengineer

Don't get the wrong idea, Cam. I'm not hoping to avoid jury duty in general. I'm hoping to avoid it for a particular week, in which I have already booked my room and paid a deposit, capiche?

I don't think you'll ever find someone more patriotic than I am, and I truly believe in the concept of a trial by your peers. However, I don't understand how we're ever supposed to get a trial by our peers, as people like me, can't afford to get paid $40 per day for jury duty instead of my salary. And some trials can drag on for months and months. I guess all we can hope for is a trial by jury of unemployed people with nothing better to do, or billionaires who can afford to miss work.
Old 03-20-10, 04:31 PM   #20
CamG

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Don't get the wrong idea, Cam. I'm not hoping to avoid jury duty in general. I'm hoping to avoid it for a particular week, in which I have already booked my room and paid a deposit, capiche?

I don't think you'll ever find someone more patriotic than I am, and I truly believe in the concept of a trial by your peers. However, I don't understand how we're ever supposed to get a trial by our peers, as people like me, can't afford to get paid $40 per day for jury duty instead of my salary. And some trials can drag on for months and months. I guess all we can hope for is a trial by jury of unemployed people with nothing better to do, or billionaires who can afford to miss work.
I understand your situation. And, I wasn't calling you out in particular either. Just have to wonder about some of the other comments on how people recommend getting out of jury duty, instead of doing the right thing. Sort of shows where the population in general is heading.
CamG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-10, 01:06 PM   #21
TN_Bassin

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamG View Post
I understand your situation. And, I wasn't calling you out in particular either. Just have to wonder about some of the other comments on how people recommend getting out of jury duty, instead of doing the right thing. Sort of shows where the population in general is heading.

Not wanting to sound un-patriotic, but if the government keeps heading the way it's going I wouldn't blame the general population for "heading" that way.
Old 03-23-10, 03:07 PM   #22
1/4 stick

Quote:
Originally Posted by TN_Bassin View Post
Not wanting to sound un-patriotic, but if the government keeps heading the way it's going I wouldn't blame the general population for "heading" that way.
Nothing can be fixed by heading that way and not getting involved.
Old 03-29-10, 09:38 AM   #23
PaulT
BassFishin.Com Member

I was lucky when I served, my company made up the difference between what the court paid and what I normally made, so it didn't affect my income at all. Of course, it wasn't 3 months either!
Old 03-29-10, 08:27 PM   #24
bamabassman

I was called once for jury duty. I WANTED to serve, but after they learned what i did for a living at the time i was dissmissed IMMEDIANTLY! See i worked for the county and was an "inmater superviser", which means i watched state prisoners as they cut grass and such at the local courthouses and county parks. And we also used them to walk the roads and pick up litter. I gues they thought i had a bad attitude towards inmates. Some yes, most no. Alabama has some very wrong sentences for crimes, i befuddles the mind. Go to prison for 7 yrs if oyu have a pot joint as long as a ciggerette, but only get 18 months if you rape a child. Yes our government is stupid sometimes. I could go on but not the right forum here.
Old 03-29-10, 08:34 PM   #25
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I was called up several times. Only ever went to jusry selection one time. Prosecutor excused me for a previous slight on my record. His bad.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.