Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-06, 07:28 PM   #1
flbassman
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Fishing with Kids

Well, my nine year old little brother wants to start bass fishing. Generally when he follows me fishing I set him up for bream, but the other day I passed him a 2 pound bass, and he reeled it in, and he now regards bream as "little kid stuff" I've pointed out that at nine, he is still technically a little kid, but it hasn't worked. So my problem is this: He wants to come, but he gets bored easily, doesn't have much skill, and is costing me a fortune in snagged lures. So, what is a bait that is easy to work, hard to snag, and fairly effective. Be nice if it was cheap too.......
Old 07-05-06, 07:33 PM   #2
wackywormer
BassFishin.Com Member

Probably the easiest to fish would be a weightless worm rigged weedless...He can learn to cast to structure,learn to feel the bite,and probably catch a fish..jmo..
wackywormer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 07:51 PM   #3
Bender

Something like mentioned in the previous post should be good. I take kids fishing any time I am around them and I wish that they were bass fishing. I get a little tired of not fishing myself and taking off 4" gills every 30 seconds, but I remeber that my dad and grandma took me fishing when I was young so it is never a problem with me to take a kid out. It is really a good thing that you take him fishing. I don't know what to do about being bored.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 07:59 PM   #4
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

fl, get a few beetle spins. they will catch just about everything that swims and if he gets snagged it won't cost too much. Even better, next time in Wallyworld get some pre-rigged curl tail grubs and a couple of the beetle spin-type spinners. With or without the spinner he can chunk and wind to his hearts content-I've caught a bunch over the years just reeling in a curl tailed grub on a jighead with a steady retrieve. Plus, these are pretty inexpensive.

BTW, the package ought to be on the way tomorrow.
Old 07-05-06, 10:17 PM   #5
flfireman

I take my ten year old daughter w/ me as much as possible. Ive made a pretty productive deal w/ her. Good grades = fishing trip. Since I started this my little girl has made straight A's. Trust me, Im the first person she shows the report card to. I started her w/ unweighted 6" worms or a small bullet weight. She had a 6' Falcon Med spinning rod w/ shakespeare mini spin reel. She now also has a 6'6" med/heavy falcon spinning rod w/ standard shakespeare spinning reel. She's started using beetle spins and the walmart spinnerbaits for $1 are nice also. Yes, there are days when she gets antsy quick, but for the most part she'll stay on the water for 4-5 hours. I pack a lunch, bring some drinks and snacks. She gets lazy sometimes and just let's the worm drag the bottom. Guess what, she has outfished me w/ her lazy technique on occasion. Get the time while you can, because kids don't stay kids very long. Get them hooked on fishing and you won't have to worry about them finding other hobbies ie- illegal or questionable stuff.
Old 07-05-06, 10:25 PM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Default Creme

This will blow your mind but a Creme pre-rigged worm with the little spinner in front and two weedless hooks will work great for him.

Trust me.

Capt Mike
Old 07-05-06, 10:27 PM   #7
NCYankee
BassFishin.Com Active Member

My nephew and niece (10 and 11) do well with spinnerbaits and shallow diving crankbaits. Neither gets snagged easily. Actually, I think I lose more lures than them. My niece wanted to stick with a bobber and worm until one day I talked her into using a crank bait. It only took that first smallmouth to get her to give up the bobber.
NCYankee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-06, 11:02 PM   #8
basscatcher03

Send a message via AIM to basscatcher03

like reb said my dad started me out with beetle spins every cast i caught something and most of the time never got snagged im about the same age as your bro only 12 here trust me there easy and cheap get them for him you'll be thankful you did
Old 07-06-06, 10:43 PM   #9
LoneStarAngler07

Send a message via AIM to LoneStarAngler07

a tex rig worm?....cant go wrong there.
Old 07-06-06, 11:46 PM   #10
FlyRod

Smile

Fishing with kids? Well, if you need live bait they're OK. I usually T-Rig 'em

But seriously folks...
The gift of fishing is among the greatest you can give a child. Also of worth are hunting, hiking, camping, or anything whereby you can instill in them an appreciation for God's Beautiful Earth, Sky, Sun, Moon, Stars, River, Lake and Sea.
To succeed at this endeavor you, the teacher, must set the right example in all that you do.

FR
FlyRod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 12:05 AM   #11
basscatcher03

Send a message via AIM to basscatcher03

that was deep fly reel deep
Old 07-07-06, 03:57 AM   #12
islandbass

Topwater (poppers, propeller baits_ is also a good choice if you think he has the coordination. Unless the grass is at the water's surface, it will not snag unless it is cast in some brush or tree.

Just a warning. There is nothing like a topwater strike. It is addicting and convert your brother into a permanent fishin' buddy for life, but that is a good thing!
Old 07-07-06, 11:50 AM   #13
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I ran our towns Cast For Kids every summer for about 10 years, followed by a kids fishing derby at the lake here in town...just spending the time to teach a kid to pitch, cast, and flip to a target is rewarding to both teacher and student, then to see their face light up when they bring a fish to be measures is priceless!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 02:09 PM   #14
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

When I take my kids (6,3) I either rig a worm weightless (t-rig) or rig them a Senko. I do the same thing for my wife too and she usually wears me out! LOL
Eric
Here's my daughter's bass on a weightless Berkely Power Worm.
BassAddict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-06, 02:13 PM   #15
ironman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to ironman

Thats Pretty Cute.
ironman is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.