Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-05-06, 10:15 PM   #1
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Tip #1 for all states to fish with

Get some Zoom Horny Toad lures. Many colors are good but white is the ticket for the beginner. Use a 5/0 red Gami wide gap hook and pass it through the head between the eyes and skin it between the legs. Make sure edge is out of head... Most people use a smaller hook and rig it like a Bass Assasin but my method works better. Cast it out and lift it to the surface fast. Let it fall out of sight and lift it again. Repeat many times in four to five feet of water max.

Feel the pickup and wait. I reccomend saying "Capt Mike says wait" and set the hook hard.

Rod 7 foot med fast with 50lb power pro line. Spinning reel fast.

Enjoy

Capt Mike
Old 07-06-06, 02:36 AM   #2
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default Captmike

I don't know what you're talking about but I'd really like to understand. Is it Texas rigged? Also, what do you mean by "skin it between the legs?" You also said, "Make sure the edge is out of the head" What did you mean by that?

I like reading stuff on here and then going out and doing it until I can catch fish with it. What you're talking about is the next thing I'm going to commit to if I can figure out the way to rig.

Do you use MH to H action rod or does it matter?
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 07:19 AM   #3
Bender

I think that he means something like "texposed" since I have had trouble with getting the hook to come through. The toad has a pretty thick body so sometimes the hook doesn't poke through on hookset if it is burried deep in the body. My take on it anyway.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 07:23 AM   #4
Mac1
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Vagabond...... He means to say you texas rig to start with and after turning the hook around in a pointing up position, pass the point between the legs of the toad and skin hook the point in the top of the frog but still in the back end......kinda like hitting the tailbone of the frog in a sense. I do the same thing with a smaller, 4/0 wide bend Gammy hook, and it is definitely the best way to rig it.

In order to make it even a stronger lure, I pass a pencil soldering iron point through and along the slot to seal it shut.

Anyway, the point of the hook being rigged as the Captain states, is the very best way to rig it. Don't set the hook until you FEEL the fish on. Hard to do when they are smashing it, but the best way to catch.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 07:33 AM   #5
crankybait

bender- if the body is too hard, boil the frogs to soften to what you want
Old 07-06-06, 09:09 AM   #6
Captmikestarrett

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond
I don't know what you're talking about but I'd really like to understand. Is it Texas rigged? Also, what do you mean by "skin it between the legs?" You also said, "Make sure the edge is out of the head" What did you mean by that?

I like reading stuff on here and then going out and doing it until I can catch fish with it. What you're talking about is the next thing I'm going to commit to if I can figure out the way to rig.

Do you use MH to H action rod or does it matter?
The hook at the top has bend just below the eye (ledge of sorts) and make sure it sticks out between the eyes on the toad. This will keep the body from sliding down the hook on the cast. The hook will be longer than the body so there is no way to pass it through the body. Instead just take the piont and gently skin it where it's private parts would be.

The rod has to be long and have a soft tip. Needs backbone to get them out of the grass and strong 50lb power pro will help alot. You will need to cast far so the rod and reel will need to work well together. When you master the long cast you will nail more fish.

Capt Mike
Old 07-06-06, 09:59 AM   #7
Bender

That is pretty much what I try to do except I use the hooks with a screw on the front of them. Like these: http://www.daiichihooks.com/products...ead_hooks.html
The toad does not slide way up the line when it gets hit this way.
Bender is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-06, 06:30 PM   #8
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

hate to disargee with the captain but.. i use the 4/0 ewg gammy's on the horny toads i find the 5/0 tends to hang up in standing grass.. i make a cut between the toads legs and run the 4/0 hook texasposed.-as you stated- i rig them weightless there is no real need to add weights to them they sink fairly decently if needed..though i have never tried them bouncing off the bottom.. remember capt i fish standing grass not weed mats.. i do agree with the use of braided lines i use a 7'6'' x-heavy flipping stick and a high speed reel is a must have with them..

zooker
Old 07-06-06, 08:50 PM   #9
Captmikestarrett

It is cool to disagree. It makes things better. Yeh no weight ever on them. I will try it your way too.

Capt Mike

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.