Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics

Old 03-16-09, 04:44 PM   #1
everettvet
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default LEAD BAN by the new President

Please take a few moments and look at a short article on bassfan.com. It is under the "dock Talk" section. I was able to cut and paste it below my statement. The national park service, with encouragment from our new President is banning the use of lead within the national parks by 2010. This will include lead sinkers, jigs, spinnerbaits or anything made of lead. This might effect you or someone you know. This could have a bad effect on tourism in a lot of areas. I would encourage you to contact your representatives and let them know that this could have a negative effect on the fishing industry and hurt small business. I don't about you, but I think the President has other issues to worry about instead of lead sinkers and such in the national parks.

Lead ban counfounds industry 3/16/2009
A recent action by the Obama administration has left anglers and the fishing industry scratching their heads. Last week, the National Park Service (NPS) suddenly announced it would ban lead fishing tackle in national parks by 2010.
The American Sportfishing Association (ASA) weighed on in the controversy with a widely distributed statement. "The sportfishing industry is surprised and dismayed by the March 10 announcement made by the National Park Service," said ASA VP Gordon Robertson. "Their intention to eliminate the use of lead in fishing tackle in national parks was made without prior consultation of the sportfishing industry or the millions of recreational anglers who fish within the national park system."
Robertson added: "In his Jan. 21, 2009 Executive Memo to federal agency and department heads, President Obama made it very clear that he expects the federal government to be transparent, participatory and collaborative and that 'executive departments and agencies should offer Americans increased opportunities to participate in policymaking and to provide their government with the benefits of their collective expertise and information.' We expect the National Park Service to follow the President's order."
In the normal course of events, the sportfishing and shooting-sports industries (lead component ammunition is also included in the ban) would have been notified by the NPS about this change in policy and would have been invited to discuss this decision with NPS staff, the ASA noted.
Robertson also said: "The NPS policy announcement, issued by a press release, does not explain how this decision was reached, why it may be necessary or how this rule will be implemented. To our knowledge, there has been no proposed rule, nor any opportunity for public comment. We request that the NPS withdraw this proposal and discuss the rationale for it with the appropriate stakeholders before taking further action."
</SPAN>
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 06:49 PM   #2
lowrider

hope the price of tungsten drops. this isn't really suprising to a duck hunter, we have had to use steel shot for many years now, it's amazing that the fishing industry has been able to hold on to lead for as long as it has.
lowrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-09, 07:15 PM   #3
aikenyounggun
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

dude that is retarted..... i bet tru tungsten is real happy about it..... how can they tell the difference anyway?..... i bet they wont check ya
Old 03-17-09, 08:24 AM   #4
Foyt20
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Send a message via AIM to Foyt20

I wonder if tru tungsten were lobbyists on this one...
Old 03-17-09, 09:07 AM   #5
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

So this is the kind of change we need?The guy is throwing money at AIG and their still giving execs bonus' with our money and there's nothing the gov't can do to stop them.And all he has to worry about is some sinkers.What a schmuck.
Old 03-17-09, 12:25 PM   #6
Raul

Well, I agree to a certain point with certain sinker types you can purchase brass, steel or tungsten but what will happen to split shots ?

Great ! no longer we will be able to split shot.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 12:35 PM   #7
MississippiBoy

Or throw spinnerbaits, shaky heads, jigs........
Old 03-17-09, 12:38 PM   #8
jooleyen

Send a message via AIM to jooleyen

So should I sell all of my stuff now?
jooleyen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 12:39 PM   #9
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

If anything the price of tungsten will go up because of this action.

This is what you get after 200 years of monkeying around with a good system of govt. We have slowly absorbed every tendency of bad government we had previously fought against.
Old 03-17-09, 01:11 PM   #10
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by jooleyen View Post
So should I sell all of my stuff now?
Nope, just move to Mexico. You can fish with all the lead you want down here.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 02:10 PM   #11
Bassboss

I hope tungsten prices drop and tungsten jig become more popular! That really sucks!
Old 03-17-09, 02:38 PM   #12
MrPhotographer06

Send a message via AIM to MrPhotographer06

BUY STOCK ON TRU-TUNGSTEN

haha this sucks..

i'm still fishing all my stuff
Old 03-17-09, 03:26 PM   #13
Stew

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
The national park service, with encouragment from our new President is banning the use of lead within the national parks by 2010.

A recent action by the Obama administration has left anglers and the fishing industry scratching their heads.

"The NPS policy announcement, issued by a press release, does not explain how this decision was reached...."
I'm REALLY scratchin' my head here at the smear against Obama. The lead post fabricates from thin air the part about "with encouragement from our new President".

In point of fact, as this article say, the new rule was made by Acting National Park Service Director Daniel N. Wenk.

Obama has not even made his own appointee to the post of Director of the National Parks Service. Wenk himself is an appointee of the former Director, Mary Bomar, who was herself an appointee of the Bush administration.

So please, don't copy and paste political smears without checking your facts first! If you tell or repeat a lie often enough, people believe it.

No wonder half our country is so politically stupid!

Last edited by Stew; 03-17-09 at 09:24 PM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 03:31 PM   #14
CMorg

Yeah, spinnerbaits , buzzbaits , jigs and a few other things. I got 500 worth of jigs , and Im not throwing them out. So what are small bait companys going to do now ? Thunderstruck ?? what cha gonna do ? Bender ???
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 03:33 PM   #15
Stew

Quote:
The national park service, with encouragment from our new President is banning the use of lead within the national parks by 2010.

A recent action by the Obama administration has left anglers and the fishing industry scratching their heads.

"The NPS policy announcement, issued by a press release, does not explain how this decision was reached...."
I'm REALLY scratchin' my head here at the smear against Obama. The lead post fabricates from thin air the part about "with encouragement from our new President".

In point of fact, as this article say, the new rule was made by Acting National Park Service Director Daniel N. Wenk.

Obama has not even made his own appointee to the post of Director of the National Parks Service. Wenk himself is an appointee of the former Director, Mary Bomar, who was herself an appointee of the Bush administration.

So please, don't copy and paste political smears without checking your facts first! If you tell or repeat a lie often enough, people believe it.

No wonder half our country is so politically stupid!

Last edited by Stew; 03-17-09 at 09:24 PM.
Old 03-17-09, 05:40 PM   #16
jig fisherman

I'm screwed, what the heck are we going to do now, does this idiot president realize how many businnesis he just just ruined, what a total moron!!!!
jig fisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-09, 05:40 PM   #17
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by aikenyounggun View Post
dude that is retarted..... i bet tru tungsten is real happy about it..... how can they tell the difference anyway?..... i bet they wont check ya

They can check by using magnets (I think). Just like they do with duck hunters.

I don't fish in any national parks, but what is to say that he doesn't have the army corp, who owns a lot of water around this country, start this crap.

Obama may stop at the national parks, but I doubt it. Your Congressman/woman needs to here your voice. I don't care how you voted or what party you belong to, but if you keep your mouth shut we have no one to blame but ourselves. Most of us have a lot of money in tackle and can't afford to replace it. I have spoken to the field rep for my Congressman. Matter of fact, we talked about it last night right before we went to bed. His field rep is my wife.
Old 03-17-09, 09:19 PM   #18
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by jig fisherman View Post
I'm screwed, what the heck are we going to do now, does this idiot president realize how many businnesis he just just ruined, what a total moron!!!!
Quote:
Obama may stop at the national parks, but I doubt it.
Well don't let the facts get in your way.
Old 03-17-09, 09:37 PM   #19
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Honestly, I don't think this will really happen. Obama's got his work cut out for him without worrying about crap like this.

BB
Old 03-17-09, 09:40 PM   #20
CMorg

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Well don't let the facts get in your way.
Hey , good observations there stew.
CMorg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 03:37 AM   #21
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMorg View Post
Hey , good observations there stew.
Thanks, CMorg.

BTW, there are a great many tackle companies that produce lead-free, tournament quality, products.

This is because many State Parks have been 100% lead-free zones for many years.

Why?

Because lead is some really nasty stuff, the levels of which have been accumulating at an alarming rate in many environments.

The lead seeps into ground water and travels 1000s of miles away, where we drink it. It is taken into fish, which we eat.

Children and pregnant mothers are especially vulnerable to lead's ill-effects. Lead poisoning is terrible, just terrible. It causes brain and neurological damage, often permanent. If you've ever known a lead-poisoned child, it is heart-breaking.

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/bl...08/06/lead.jpg

Also see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lead-poisoning/FL00068 for an overview.

Lead-poisoning is a documented scientific occurrence, not just some theory.

As for lead-free tackle, just Google the term. There are scores of companies and high quality products. Here are a few:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/pr...4/prodid/17072

http://www.rockyledge.com/

http://www.luresandjigs.com/index.ph...=cart&sku=LFSC (look along the left in the middle)

http://store.ebait.com/merchant2/mer...egory_Code=fox

Me?

Switching to using lead-free tackle in lead-free zones is no big deal. It's moral to do so.
Old 03-18-09, 12:28 PM   #22
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Thanks, CMorg.

BTW, there are a great many tackle companies that produce lead-free, tournament quality, products.

This is because many State Parks have been 100% lead-free zones for many years.

Why?

Because lead is some really nasty stuff, the levels of which have been accumulating at an alarming rate in many environments.

The lead seeps into ground water and travels 1000s of miles away, where we drink it. It is taken into fish, which we eat.

Children and pregnant mothers are especially vulnerable to lead's ill-effects. Lead poisoning is terrible, just terrible. It causes brain and neurological damage, often permanent. If you've ever known a lead-poisoned child, it is heart-breaking.

http://www.brainandspinalcord.org/bl...08/06/lead.jpg

Also see http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/lead-poisoning/FL00068 for an overview.

Lead-poisoning is a documented scientific occurrence, not just some theory.

As for lead-free tackle, just Google the term. There are scores of companies and high quality products. Here are a few:

http://www.kitterytradingpost.com/pr...4/prodid/17072

http://www.rockyledge.com/

http://www.luresandjigs.com/index.ph...=cart&sku=LFSC (look along the left in the middle)

http://store.ebait.com/merchant2/mer...egory_Code=fox

Me?

Switching to using lead-free tackle in lead-free zones is no big deal. It's moral to do so.
I think stew may be right guys!

I for one don't fish national parks, but for those of you that do.... look at the second link, rockledge.com! That G-5 Hydro spinnerbait looks sweet! And look at the speed demon spinnerbait it has the option of a adding a treble hook rather than a J hook! They all have cool colors too!

I may just get some off the stuff on the sights!

Last edited by Bassboss; 03-18-09 at 02:42 PM.
Bassboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-09, 02:38 PM   #23
everettvet

I agree with stew in the fact that there are questions about this press release. I copy and pasted off of another site. I am not a reporter so, I did not feel the need to check sources. For that matter, niether do a lot of reporters, but that is a different discussion. If that release is incorrect, which I hope it is, it is a shame and I should not have mentioned it. By the way Stew, I totally support our President. I do want him to succeed. This Country needs him to. I just don't agree with his some of his ideas. That is what is great about this Country. We can agree to disagree about some subjects.

I can't imagine them (the government) going further with this, but they might follow the lead of waterfowl and cut it all out. With respect to waterfowl, you can't use lead to hunt them, but you can use lead to fish in the same water you was hunting waterfowl on. Kind of strange.

This turned out to be a more interesting thread than I thought it would.
Old 03-18-09, 02:54 PM   #24
everettvet

Stew,

What great websites. I have fished with some tungston, but I think I will have to expand what I have.
Old 03-18-09, 03:00 PM   #25
Bassboss

Quote:
Stew,

What great websites. I have fished with some tungsten, but I think I will have to expand what I have.
I have some steel gullet weights, and from what I can tell, they are MORE sensitive than lead! So this may mean even better fishing!

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.