Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 03-24-08, 08:57 PM   #1
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Send a message via AIM to Redneck4woodmont
Default What do you recommend?

hey, I was wondering what you guys recommend as far as what kind/lb. test line to use for different presentations, ex. spinnerbait, soft plastics, cranks. also what kind of rod do yall use with these presentations? ex. H, MH, M...thanks
Old 03-25-08, 09:22 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, it'll take a long time for everyone to tell you what they use for every tactic. But for the ones you've mentioned:

Spinnerbait: 8-10lb. As for type of line, I've heard people use Fluorocarbon, Fluoroclear, and mono. take your pick. I'd look for a rod designed specifically for spinenrbaits. Falcon makes a couple and All Star makes one too. I'm sure many other brands do too, but those are a couple of my favorites.

Soft Plastics: I use 8 or 10lb, but I prefer light line. I'd say 10-15lb should work. I use Fluorocarbon. My soft plastics rods is 7' M, but I've seen them longer, shorter, and M-MH.

Crankbaits: Most prefer to use a baitcasting setup for cranks, but I use a spinning gear. I use 10lb mono on a M-MH rod depending how deep the cranks dive. They do have rods specifically designed for cranking that are either fiberglass or a graphite glass mix. I use a Falcon LowRider spinning rod.

Hope this helps.

BB
Old 03-25-08, 09:23 AM   #3
BigBassin144

By the way, you will probably get many different answers from the people that post. Line, Rod, Reel, and Line is really a personal Preference thing.

BB
Old 03-25-08, 11:56 AM   #4
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
By the way, you will probably get many different answers from the people that post. Line, Rod, Reel, and Line is really a personal Preference thing.

BB
And that is also governed by geographical location, type of cover, water clarity, etc. It would help if you could provide us more specifics about where you plan to fish and what the water is like there?
Old 03-25-08, 01:52 PM   #5
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
And that is also governed by geographical location, type of cover, water clarity, etc. It would help if you could provide us more specifics about where you plan to fish and what the water is like there?
Man, that a really smart answer.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 02:28 PM   #6
flfireman

Im not picky. I have 30# PP on everything except for 1 spinning rod. I use the spinning rod for goofing off and to let my kids use. My primary rods are all 7', have 2-3 that are smaller.
Old 03-25-08, 02:30 PM   #7
JB

I'd bump that 8lb test to at least 10lb. Personally I fish 12 lb low vis or 14 or 20 on mono for spinnerbait, depends on how much rock and timbers and on what lake. A good spinnerbait presentation works the cover, not just merely throwing "over it" in open water...let the spinnerbait hit timber, flutter down it, bump into objects. As far as rip rap and rocks, always check your line every few casts for nicks and cuts.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 04:24 PM   #8
Buzz Wing

Send a message via MSN to Buzz Wing

What a broad topic.....
  1. Spinnerbaits: Normally I like to use 12-15 lb monofilament. If fishing drop-baits, such as heavy, 5/8+ ounce spinnerbaits, I may go lighter, as heavier monofilament has the tendency to sit higher in the water column.
  2. Crankbaits: As I stated above, heavier monofilament will float, so I like to use 10 lb monofilament as a basis. The deeper the baits dive, I may go with 8 lb monofilament. A lipless bait which will have a maximum depth of maybe 4', you could get away with 12-15 lb monofilament, depending on what type of cover you're fishing.
  3. Texas Rigs: Although the cover up here in Michigan is not the heaviest, I still use 20 lb braided line with a monofilament leader, normally in the 14-15 lb range. Why? Personal preference; it also promotes good bottom-composition to the angler.
  4. Topwater: Or rather buzzbaits. In this application I will use about 15-17 lb. monofilament, as it floats better. Other topwaters, you ask? Don't throw it; don't ask!
  5. Drop-Shot: Again, personal preference, but I also use 20 lb braided line with a fluorocarbon leader of about 7' in length. The braid gives good feel, and so does the fluorocarbon, so this is a win-win situation for me. Why not straight braid? Well, for one, it is finesse, and two, I'm very anal about line-visibility.
  6. Flippin': Simple as this, braided line with a 5' monofilament leader around 17 or 20 lb, depending on cover and personal prefererence. I use 40 lb Power Pro, but I'm not fishing the heaviest cover as some of the Southern folks on here might be.
  7. PNJ's: Unless I'm swimming a finesse jig, I can probably be found throwing 15 lb fluorocarbon. This line promotes good feel and also is less dense, therefore helping blend into the natural density of the water. Natural-invisibility.
  8. Carolina Rigs:I guess you could say I'm a technical guy; 15 lb fluorocarbon with a 10 or 12 pound fluorocarbon leader. You could use braided line, but if I can avoid it, I do. As I stated time and time before, I'm fishing nary anything that will cut line over 15 pound.
And everyone says I get too technical when it comes to line. I guess you could say that.

By the way, did I mention personal preference? That's what I'm all about...

-Buzz
Buzz Wing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-08, 07:09 PM   #9
BigBassin144

Lunk... er.. Buzz (I gotta get used to that.) I'd have to agree with over ocmplicating things. I just watched a show today with Rick Clunn Explaining why he uses a 7' H rod for ever application and technique.

BB
Old 03-25-08, 07:14 PM   #10
Buzz Wing

Feel free to explain...

-Buzz
Old 03-25-08, 07:41 PM   #11
BigBassin144

I was avoiding that, but since I was asked I guess I have to.

Well, what I took from what he said was that when you switch from a say 6'6" M rod for worming to a 7' H rod for say C-Rigging, you have an adjustment period until the rod becomes natural to you. I guess this messes up your fishing. So he says that since he only uses 7' H rods, all he has to adjust to is the lure, not the whole setup (rod length, power, action, reel speed, line ,etc.) He mentioned why he chose 7' H, but I forgot. I thinker he makes a good point, but I still like "collecting" as my mom calls it.

BB
Old 03-25-08, 08:19 PM   #12
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

Thanks everybody for your input, i really appreciate it. so here is what i already had setup tell me if its ok to use this. spinnerbait and crank- 14lb mono, texas rig/ weightless- 40lb power pro w/ 20lb flouro leader, jig- 40lb power pro. i rarely dropshot and i havent mastered flippin yet so i cant tell you what i would use. I fish around a lot of flooded timber/ brush and some rocks. thanks again guys!
Old 03-25-08, 08:22 PM   #13
Redneck4woodmont
BassFishin.Com Member

oh and i forgot i use either a 6'0 or 6'6" M rod for everything b/c its kinda hard for me to cast a longer rod in a jon boat .
Old 03-25-08, 08:30 PM   #14
Buzz Wing

Sounds good!

-Buzz
Old 03-25-08, 09:17 PM   #15
BigBassin144

I'd downsize all the line, but I prefer lighter line. The only thing I'd say you really should do would be use 10lb line for cranks.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.