Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-07-09, 12:40 PM   #1
keithdog
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default A year of firsts

Well, only a couple first but here goes. There are two lures that are tried and tested as proven winners when it comes to catching bass. The original full size Heddon Zara Spook and the Arbogast Jitterbug. Oddly in the 40 years I've been fishing primarily for bass, I had never caught a single bass on either lure despite many attempts over the years. Early this summer I decided to again try the Jitterbug out. I don't know why, but but for some reason I started catching bass like crazy on the Jitterbug. It's definately a morning and evening/night lure for me so far. But I bet 40% of my bass this year have come off the Jitterbug. This after 40 years of getting skunked with Jitterbugs. Go figure. So yeasterday, I dusted off the Zara Spooks I had put away for good a few years ago after also catching no fish on a spook ever! I thought, who knows, maybe it will happen with the spook as well. While it was still very dark, between 4AM and 6AM the Zara Spook caught nothing. The Jitterbug again was king, taking several bass in those two hours. Once the sun started to take over the day the Jitterbug bite slowed considerably. So I took off the Jitterbug and tied the Spook back on and began chucking it in water 12 foot deep with sumberged weeds that came near the surface. The water had a slight chop on it. I thought this must be ideal conditions for a spook. On the second cast I had a bass blow up on the spook and about shook my bones to the core. He missed the spook but got my attention fast. Before I went to my spinnerbaits, I landed my first three bass on the Zara Spook, all a nice chunky three pounds or so. I couldn't believe I had caught anything on that chrome/black back Spook. But the smile was ear to ear. Maybe this will rub off on my lipless cranksbaits as well. Ok, I've caught two bass on a Rattle trap type bait in my lifetime, but thats nothing to cause any faith in the lure. But what I hope to achieve with this post is to encourage any of you who have takin any bait you've thought was a good investment, and after years of no success, put the lure into the back of the drawer so to speak, to get it back out and give it a try. I have no idea why after all those years of casting a jitterbug and spook without any success they suddenly started producing. All I can say is I am glad I gave them another try. They are now another set of tools to use when I am back out on the water.
keithdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 01:56 PM   #2
Jim80
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Keith thats great man, the only first for me this year has been catching fish on soft plastic swim baits , the bite has been so good on those they have been about all I have thrown the last few trips .

Jim
Old 09-07-09, 03:23 PM   #3
JB

WTG Keith

Catching them is sure a confidence builder/booster isn't it!
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 03:28 PM   #4
fishin spro
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

caught my first on a floating worm.

caught a new pb.(4.15 lbs)

caught first out of new boat.

fished first tourney as a boater(weighed in almost 8lbs for the boat)

caught first on big worm.

caught first fish on a crankbait in a tourney(had caught them on cranks b4 but never in a tourney)
Old 09-07-09, 06:04 PM   #5
abu4600
BassFishin.Com Active Member

That's great Keith. I have fished spooks and jitterbugs too and still have never caught anything on them. Icant lay down the pop-r long enough to give them a chance. I did catch my first bass this year on shakey heads and drop shots.
abu4600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-09, 11:25 PM   #6
bamabassman

make the dawg walk keith and they will bite my friend. congrats buddy.
Old 09-08-09, 08:10 AM   #7
Bob Smith

WTG, Keith. Spook Jr.s are my favorite topwater. I keep a clear one tied on June through September for schooling fish. My other favorite color is the saltwater version white with Chartreuse head. That color is dynamite on Spotted Bass, Smalljaws, but is a killer for the Hybrids and Stripers in the lakes down early in the morning and just before dark.
Old 09-08-09, 11:53 AM   #8
BoyoBoyle
BassFishin.Com Member

Thats great. I had a first last night. I caught a couple bass on a weedless frog. What made it even better was that i couldn't catch bass on anything else! So i felt like I found the trick for that day. Now im hooked on frogs and am getting a spro in the mail soon.

Thats good that you learned something new.

"Once you stop learning, you begin getting worse at whatever your doing"
BoyoBoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-09, 07:13 PM   #9
keithdog

Thanks guys. Glad to see some others here are having some firsts this year too. It feels great to get over the hump with a certain lure you've worked to death without success.
Old 09-08-09, 07:59 PM   #10
BassAddict
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I caught my first bass on a Spook this year too Keith. I've caught Hybrids on the Puppy Spook before but never a bass. Never given the Jitterbug much of a chance. It's not so much I don't have confidence in it as I just don't like it! Who knows though... I may get a wild hair one day.
Old 09-08-09, 08:02 PM   #11
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

I've never fished a Spook, but I've caught bass, even rockies, on Jitterbugs ever since I was a kid. Love that lure!
1sts for me this year would be spinnerbaits, lipless cranks and frogs
Old 09-08-09, 09:19 PM   #12
AfterLife
BassFishin.Com Member

that is cool
AfterLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-09, 08:55 PM   #13
Rebbasser

Way to go, Keith!

Had the same situation with a jig-could not catch one on a jig to save my soul. Then I caught that magic first one, and now it is a confidence bait.
Old 09-09-09, 11:05 PM   #14
keithdog

Hey Reb, good to see you back in here. Havn't seen you around much lately. Meant to call you saturday but got buisy and never did. Hope all is well.
Old 09-09-09, 11:43 PM   #15
Rebbasser

Been kind of crazy, Keith-I'll give you a call and fill you in.
Old 09-10-09, 10:08 AM   #16
nofearengineer

Awesome to get the smell of skunk off of a particular lure, eh, Keith?

I have never fished a spook before, but I did just buy some Skitterwalks, and I am in the same boat. I'm gonna keep trying though.

I also have tried and tried to catch fish on flukes, but with no success. However, I think I finally got a combination I think will work for me. I put a 7" Zoom Super Fluke on a weighted Gamakatsu hook, and I think it may be the best looking jerkbait I have ever seen. It darts from side to side and flutters down like nothing else. Hopefully, I will have my own success story very soon.
Old 09-10-09, 10:28 AM   #17
Fishnngolfn

My big first this year will happen in about 2 to 4 weeks. Fishing as a single man.
Oh yeah and I caught my PB of 3 lbs.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 10:41 AM   #18
MississippiBoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nofearengineer View Post
Awesome to get the smell of skunk off of a particular lure, eh, Keith?

I have never fished a spook before, but I did just buy some Skitterwalks, and I am in the same boat. I'm gonna keep trying though.

I also have tried and tried to catch fish on flukes, but with no success. However, I think I finally got a combination I think will work for me. I put a 7" Zoom Super Fluke on a weighted Gamakatsu hook, and I think it may be the best looking jerkbait I have ever seen. It darts from side to side and flutters down like nothing else. Hopefully, I will have my own success story very soon.
I've caught a few fish on Spooks, but never after about 8-8:30 in the morning. It's like there's a Spook switch that gets flipped, and they quit biting. I do know guys that always have one tied on all day, but I haven't had any luck later on in the day.
I've never caught anything on a fluke, either, but I've tried, and it looks so dang good, it's hard to believe nothing wants it. I've almost given up on it, but I'll try it every now and again, I guess just to make sure it's still ineffective for me.
Old 09-10-09, 10:44 AM   #19
WaffleJaw

keith your gonna have to teach me how to fish a jitterbug,lol...i try mine at least every other week in different app's and never get any action.

this has been a great year for me!....biggest bass,baitcasters (that i cant believe i havent tried sooner!!)...
also lure making , and now rod making (which im working on right now at work,lol)
Old 09-10-09, 08:27 PM   #20
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I got my first reel that cost over $100. So i headed out today to battle gale force winds to give my STX and Bionic 66MH / XPS FL 14 a test drive. That thing is smooth. Being a bcnoob... the only birdnests were from a snap on the cast and then a rigging of a huge dead crawfish I found that fell apart on the cast. Casting into and across the wind - no issues. I got shut out but dont care. What is that saying, wind from the north fish go forth.

Black Spooks at dusk / night is a go to lure for me. Cast it far away walk it and cover tons of water.

EDIT:
Quote:
Wind from the West, fish bite the best.
Wind from the East, fish bite the least.
Wind from the North, do not go forth.
Wind from the South blows bait in their mouth.

Last edited by RandyHolt; 09-10-09 at 09:34 PM.
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-09, 08:53 PM   #21
keithdog

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
keith your gonna have to teach me how to fish a jitterbug,lol...i try mine at least every other week in different app's and never get any action.

this has been a great year for me!....biggest bass,baitcasters (that i cant believe i havent tried sooner!!)...
also lure making , and now rod making (which im working on right now at work,lol)
Well, to start off with, I only use a black jitterbug, cause thats what I have, and an old man who LOVES the jitterrbug told me it's the only color to use. And I like the larger 5/8oz size. I've been using the jointed lately but the non jointed has worked well too. I get out early, usually fishing by 4AM. I will catch bass in water with submerged weedbeds. Often in 12 foot of water where the weeds come close to the surface. But shallow water is awsome as well that early as long as there are weeds or brush nearby. I always have much better luck with calm water rather than water with a chop to it. All I am doing really is working these areas with weedbeds that have deeper water in the vacinity. I can't even see a target in the dark so knowing your water helps. I simply cast out as long a cast as I can make so as to isolate the Jitterbug as much as possible from the boat. Then I simply real it back in as slow as I can that will allow the Jitterbug to do it's wobble wobble dance back to the boat. I'll pause from time to time. Sometimes, I give it a few short tugs before starting the retrieve as that gives the bait a really neat effect on the surface. It looks alive when I do this. And when a bass does unload on it, they almost always engulf the bait. Don't set the hook instantly. I keep reeling it in untill I feel the weight of the bass on the buisness end, and only then do I set the hook. Once the sun start to take over the morning and the wind start to disturb the lakes surface, the Jitterbug bite drops drastically. But I will still catch fish on it in wind sheltered bays, or very close to cover. Hope this helps.

Last edited by keithdog; 09-11-09 at 07:03 AM.
Old 09-11-09, 09:39 AM   #22
WaffleJaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithdog View Post
Well, to start off with, I only use a black jitterbug, cause thats what I have, and an old man who LOVES the jitterrbug told me it's the only color to use. And I like the larger 5/8oz size. I've been using the jointed lately but the non jointed has worked well too. I get out early, usually fishing by 4AM. I will catch bass in water with submerged weedbeds. Often in 12 foot of water where the weeds come close to the surface. But shallow water is awsome as well that early as long as there are weeds or brush nearby. I always have much better luck with calm water rather than water with a chop to it. All I am doing really is working these areas with weedbeds that have deeper water in the vacinity. I can't even see a target in the dark so knowing your water helps. I simply cast out as long a cast as I can make so as to isolate the Jitterbug as much as possible from the boat. Then I simply real it back in as slow as I can that will allow the Jitterbug to do it's wobble wobble dance back to the boat. I'll pause from time to time. Sometimes, I give it a few short tugs before starting the retrieve as that gives the bait a really neat effect on the surface. It looks alive when I do this. And when a bass does unload on it, they almost always engulf the bait. Don't set the hook instantly. I keep reeling it in untill I feel the weight of the bass on the buisness end, and only then do I set the hook. Once the sun start to take over the morning and the wind start to disturb the lakes surface, the Jitterbug bite drops drastically. But I will still catch fish on it in wind sheltered bays, or very close to cover. Hope this helps.
besides the dark part....its almost identical to how i fish it.....i use a black one as well....i put a small blk/purple silicone skirt on the back treble (maybe i need to take it off?) .....i fish it in calm water late in the evening before the sun is gone,or early in the morning around 6am.......cast it,twitch it,and a slow retrieve,pause,twitch,repeat...lol

but then again,i dont have too much luck with top-water baits..except for a buzzbait...but it'll hit soon with the fall coming up.....everything will be better in the fall,lol.....god i hope so
Old 09-12-09, 02:22 PM   #23
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaffleJaw View Post
besides the dark part....its almost identical to how i fish it.....i use a black one as well....i put a small blk/purple silicone skirt on the back treble (maybe i need to take it off?) .....i fish it in calm water late in the evening before the sun is gone,or early in the morning around 6am.......cast it,twitch it,and a slow retrieve,pause,twitch,repeat...lol

but then again,i dont have too much luck with top-water baits..except for a buzzbait...but it'll hit soon with the fall coming up.....everything will be better in the fall,lol.....god i hope so
My best luck has been with the frog patterned or the yellow black jitterbug.
Really, they're one of the easiest lures out there to fish. Just cast it out and reel it in.
Doesn't mean they're always gonna hit it, but very rarely do I do anything special in my retrieve.
It's one of the best classic lures I know of

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.