Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations

Old 11-02-12, 06:46 PM   #1
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Default Scents

Yes? No?

I used to use them religiously and still do with flukes. I did an experiment in clear water where I could see the fish when scents first became popular. I used Kick-N-Bass garlic. As I said in another post, long story short the bass pretty much ignored the scentless bait but attacked an identical bait with scent.

I need to remember to use them more.
Old 11-02-12, 09:13 PM   #2
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
Yes? No?

I used to use them religiously and still do with flukes. I did an experiment in clear water where I could see the fish when scents first became popular. I used Kick-N-Bass garlic. As I said in another post, long story short the bass pretty much ignored the scentless bait but attacked an identical bait with scent.

I need to remember to use them more.
I use JJ's Magic quite a bit. But honestly I use it more to alter the color of my baits more than for the scent. I have used several scents over the years and JJ's Magic has been way more productive for me than other scents, or at least it seems like it to me (it's hard to tell for sure whether the scent played a role in you getting bit or not).

I am curious why you use scents with Flukes and not other baits?
Old 11-02-12, 09:28 PM   #3
keithdog

I don't know if it really helps or not, but I use Yum garlic spray on my jigs and soft plastics. Actually, I've sprayed the Yum garlic spray into bags of plastics and they hold the scent very well. Like I said, I don't know if it helps, but it seems to. I know it doesn't hurt.
Old 11-02-12, 10:35 PM   #4
skeeter1804
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I use scent on all my soft plastics but not on hard baits. I feel it helps them hold on longer but I have no real proof to defend that. I usually use crawfish scent.
skeeter1804 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 10:35 PM   #5
USMCbassman
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I have a few different smelly jelly's; a couple of weeks ago I was out fishing and nothing. So I whipped out the smelly jelly's and I had a lot more followers, but not committers. I'm not convinced they work.

Just my couple penny's worth and I'm glad they work for you all.

I have mine double bagged in zip loc bags and they still smell up my tackle bag, LOL!
USMCbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-12, 11:37 PM   #6
Rebbasser

C-rig, I really do not have a reason for only using it on flukes. The truth be told I only seem to think about it with flukes-just got out of the habit. Also, nowdays a lot of baits come already scented-powerbaits, coffee tubes, wave worms just to name a few. Now that I posted this topic I'll remember to start using scents more
Old 11-03-12, 06:33 AM   #7
pig n jig
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I really like scents.Loved the old fish formula with scales but can't find it anymore.I think they definitely help.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 07:24 AM   #8
joedog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Reb I feel like you wrote my answers.
I use to use religiously, spray on plastics, bio edge wands on hard bodies. F2 spray cause I like Yums, SK coffee spray cause the forum PROMISED I'd not only catch fish but GIRLS TOO! (remember anglers ).

Then I read that bio-edge looses potency after a year. Then I got thinking, they all got BIO something in them now, maybe they all loose and I'm paying $10 a bottle for 'placebo' effect.
Plus the sprays were messing up my jig skirts, a bait I really liked to 'scent'.
Plus I got lazy.
Plus carrying them day after day shore fishing almost guaranteed a 'scent accident' in happening.
Plus as said, most plastics are already scented now a days, hence is the need still there?

I still believe scents can make a fish hang on the bait longer, maybe a few seconds but some times that's all that's needed.
But I'm not a big believer that they actually 'attract' a fish.
Of all the senses a fish uses to feed, I think 'smell' is way DOWN the list.

This year I used NONE!

Last edited by joedog; 11-03-12 at 07:35 AM.
joedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 08:16 AM   #9
Dave63
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Spike it garlic is my favorite.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-12, 10:17 AM   #10
carolina-rig-01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
C-rig, I really do not have a reason for only using it on flukes. The truth be told I only seem to think about it with flukes-just got out of the habit. Also, nowdays a lot of baits come already scented-powerbaits, coffee tubes, wave worms just to name a few. Now that I posted this topic I'll remember to start using scents more
I understand Reb, I just didn't know if there was something I was overlooking with Flukes LOL.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.