Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-05-07, 10:45 AM   #1
Wishing2BFishing
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default 4 Runner

I was thinking of trading in my car and getting a Toyota 4 Runner. I am not sure if I should get the V8 versus the V6. (I love the extra power and sound of the V-8). Anyone have a 4 Runner? Anyone have any thoughts as to whether I should avoid the V-8? Any constructive input is appreciated.
Wishing2BFishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-07, 12:01 PM   #2
adamgambill
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I dont see any problem with a 4-runner. They tend to be sturdy built and virtually trouble free. I cant think of many complaints, but if you intend to keep it after the warranty period parts and service will be pricey. If you end up getting a 'yota do the reccomended maintiance. As far as V6 or V8- its up to you but dont think that the 6 is much more fuel efficent-they will try to sell you on this. I work at a Nissan dealer and the 4cyl Xterra gets 15/18 and the 4.0 gets 17/20. My old 4.3 6 Chevy got 18/22 my new 5.3 8 Chevy gets 21/24. Before you go 'yota check out the Xterra and Pathfinder, seems like more bang for your buck. I love the wifes 06 Xterra.
Old 01-06-07, 02:13 PM   #3
Jolly

My mother had a 95' 4Runner for 10 years that never had any problems. Then she FORGOT to change the oil in it for over 7000 miles (with 140000 on it already) and she blew the radiator and a gasket. If she hadn't it probably woulda ran forever. She gave it to my uncle, put a new radiator and gasket in it, new plugs and wires and now we take it every weekend birdhunting. Runs great, 4 wheel drive works great... unbreakable rig. The 6 disc changer even still works, along with the power windows and locks, ac... everything. That vehicle has been through 2 floods (water over the steering wheel in both), a horse ranch and my mother and is still kicking strong. I highly recommend them. Like adam said, parts may be pricey but it will last you as long as you want it too. As far as V8 vs V6... well, if you pull something, get the V8, otherwise, the V6 is all you need. Get a little (very little) better mileage with the V6 also.

Anyway, if the limited rear seating isn't an issue for you then by all means get the 4Runner!!

Jolly
Old 01-08-07, 02:15 PM   #4
Wishing2BFishing

Adam and Jolly, thanks for the information. I am pretty sure that the "Yota" is a good product. I just wish the dealer would be more inclined to negotiate on the price.
Old 01-09-07, 10:38 AM   #5
adamgambill

Yeah they are pretty bad about no-haggle pricing. Check around for rebates and try to get them on an 06, they should be looking to get rid of old inventory. Look at the state inspection on the vehicle, go for the ones that are close to a year old. Sales managers hate it when a car has a birthday on the lot.
Old 01-09-07, 11:01 AM   #6
betursweetbass
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via Yahoo to betursweetbass

As I have previously mentioned, I am a former car salesmen, and I also happen to be a 4Runner owner. I bought myself a new 4Runner on the 24th of December of 1991, and was able to get about 3K off the sticker price. I was able to get 1,700 for my trade too, which was a 74 Suburban and had a street value of about 900.00.

Some dealerships will work with you on the price if you are willing to travel around and stand your ground with the Sales Manager. All dealerships are usually willing to bend some, some more than others. By the way, this was back in 1991 too, and I still have the 4Runner too, excellent little SUV.

Good Luck.
betursweetbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-07, 11:12 AM   #7
betursweetbass

Default V6 or V8

OH, and the V6 will pull a nice load as well too. I had a 88 Skeeter Starfire 175, that I pulled over three years with my 4Runner, and it didn't affect the power level at all. Go with the V6, you won't be sorry. I was hoping to show you the runner and the skeeter together at Lake Shasta, but the pic is not on this pc. Sorry.
Old 01-09-07, 11:29 AM   #8
adamgambill

BYSB-Did you sell in Houston, where, if so?
Old 01-09-07, 11:37 AM   #9
betursweetbass

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamgambill View Post
BYSB-Did you sell in Houston, where, if so?
NO, my car sales days where in southern california, almost 10 yrs ago, I left the car biz for an career in the IT field. My company transfered me here to houston back in 04.
Old 01-09-07, 11:59 PM   #10
g_mo
BassFishin.Com Member

wait for the new 2007 toyota tundra. went on a ride and drive for the new tundra today. man that is one impressive truck. we got to drive the tundra, nissan titan, silverado with the vortec max, hemi ram, and f150 5.4, all loaded and unloaded. none of them hold a candle to the tundra. in my opinion, exterior styling is the only downfall with this truck. it excels in all other areas. horsepower and torque is not even a comparison. i can tell you it would take heavy mods to any of the other brands to even get any where near matching the power. braking, steering, towing, again, not even in the same ballpark. definetly going to put a hurtin on the the big 3's truck sales.

gary
g_mo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-07, 12:26 AM   #11
Jolly

Geez g_mo, How do I get that job??? Sounds like a good day... only better if it ended on the water!

Jolly
Old 01-10-07, 10:28 AM   #12
Wishing2BFishing

Yeah, the new Tundra looks like a great rig. However, one of the main reasons that I am going to get rid of my car is that there is no longer any room. Ever since we installed that 2nd baby seat, my gut has been in the steering wheel. So PLAN A: gotta go bigger . . . looks like the 4 Runner will resolve the size issue.

PLAN B: Of course, I have another reason for wanting the truck. Once I get the truck, then I can start looking at boats. Right now, I have a V-hull which must be kept at my mom's development (private lake w/out a ramp, only landowners can have a boat). So, if I get the truck, I can get a trailer and perhaps get another boat.

NOTE: My wife is not yet aware of "Plan B".
Old 01-10-07, 12:02 PM   #13
adamgambill

I have an ECSB Chevy and it is more than enough room for the youngsters. G-mo has the same ECSB Z-71 and two young'uns, again plenty of room. Dont discount extended cab or crew cab trucks in the room category. They are huge on the inside and have a smooth ride. They more than likely will come with a small V8 that makes more than enough torque to pull a boat, and they run specials on full size trucks all the time. Its not something to completly rule out in your situation.
Old 01-16-07, 10:00 PM   #14
korywithak
BassFishin.Com Member

Have you looked at the FJs? Its not quite as "luxury" as the 4 runner, but thats not why I was looking for a 4x4. Its smooth running, and quiet on the street, can pull 5k lbs (not that my jet rig weighs anywhere close to that) and ALMOST has 4 doors. My wife and I love ours. AND its not as expensive as the 4runner and just as reliable. If you ever get to harrisburg, shoot me a PM and you can check it out.
korywithak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-07, 10:04 PM   #15
lizardsrule
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I think the Trailblazer would fit into your idea. Plus they gots lot's of power I can assure you. One twisted my trailer frame like a pretzel without even squeaking rotfl.

Lizards
Old 01-19-07, 07:47 PM   #16
adamgambill

That I5 motor is a Hoss dude. You cant go wrong with a Chevy.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.