Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Non-Fishing Related Talk
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 09-23-08, 08:41 PM   #1
tnfisherman
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Default 4 foot alligaltor

they found a 4 foot alligaltor in the little pigon river in servierville,tn today ...twra snagged it to get it out of the river
tnfisherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 09:01 PM   #2
WTL
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Not exactly shocked by that. They have them on wheeler lake near Huntsville. Some up to 11 foot.
Old 09-23-08, 09:42 PM   #3
Rodman_Rob
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

they snagged a 4 footer? shoulda just jumped in after it.
Old 09-23-08, 09:43 PM   #4
texasbasser

Send a message via Yahoo to texasbasser

Theres a few in some local lakes down here, and also a couple have been sighted/caught in the Guadalupe.

TB
texasbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 10:07 PM   #5
Fishnngolfn

What about this one?

Quote:
Joe Goff, a game warden with the Texas Parks and Wildlife Department, walks past a 13-foot, 1-inch alligator that he shot and killed in the back yard of the home at the Bar X Ranch on FM 521 near West Columbia.
Fishnngolfn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 10:17 PM   #6
bamabassman

nice set of boots, jacket and belt, hahahahaha.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-08, 10:35 PM   #7
Rodman_Rob

naw, I wouldn't bother with him, I'd just throw WTL in the water to handle it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishnngolfn View Post
What about this one?

Old 09-23-08, 10:47 PM   #8
flbassman

From 'The Post'

Gator bait

By Tim Sanders

Post editor Scott Wright always has his finger on the pulse of Cherokee County. And while I would never claim to have my finger on the pulse of Cherokee County, I do occasionally have my finger poked into the soft palate of Cherokee County, evoking a strong gag reflex. That is why Scott passed the following e-mail message along to me. He said he’d been contacted by several people who’d received the e-mail, asking if he could elaborate on the story. He said that since I was nothing if not a pathological elaborator, he thought I was qualified to handle it. Here is the e-mail:

1. [photo of either a very large alligator , swimming with a regulation-sized deer in its mouth, or a regulation-sized alligator with a very small deer in its mouth]
"This picture was taken by a KTBS helicopter flying over Lake Weiss about 90 miles north of Birmingham!"

2. [same gator, same deer, closeup shot]
"That has to be a HUGE gator to have a whole deer in its mouth! Are you ready to go skiing on Lake Weiss?! If you ski at the west end of the lake – try not to fall."

3. [photo of a uniformed man who does not appear to be a midget striding manfully behind an exceptionally large gator which is hanging from a crane]
"This alligator was found between Centre and Leesburg, Alabama near a house! Game wardens were forced to shoot the alligator-guess he wouldn’t cooperate ..."

"Anita and Charlie Rogers could hear the bellowing in the night. Their neighbors had been telling them that they had seen a mammoth alligator in the waterway that runs behind their house, but they dismissed the stories as exaggerations."
" ‘I didn’t believe it,’ Charles Rogers said, but they realized the stories were, if anything, understated."

"Alabama Parks and Wildlife game wardens had to shoot the beast. Joe Goff, 6'5" tall, a game warden, walks past the 23-foot, 1-inch alligator he shot and killed in their back yard."

Something about that last photo–the one with the alligator hanging from a crane–looked familiar to me. I decided that a 23-foot, deer-eating alligator in Weiss Lake deserved a little research. Armed with the sophisticated computer technology known as Google, I would soon find out that the story was even more bizarre than I’d imagined.

The good people at www.snopes.com provided an e-mail dated 2004, accompanied by a photo of a large gator suspended from a crane. The gator looked exactly like the one in the Weiss Lake photo, except that this gator, according to the caption, was only 13 feet long. And this e–mail clearly stated that Anita and Charlie Rogers lived in the Bar X subdivision in West Columbia, Texas. Oddly enough, the very same game warden, Joe Goff, was shown striding manfully behind the gator.

Another e-mail, dated 2005, showed another photo, with another really similar gator–a 15-footer–hanging from an eerily familiar crane, only this time in the Titusville, Florida area. Again, not surprisingly, Joe Goff was seen striding manfully behind the gator, and again the couple whose fat he’d pulled from the fire were poor old beleaguered Anita and Charlie Rogers.

And in early 2006, under the false impression that the upscale Shreveport, Louisiana community they’d relocated to would be "gated," not "gatored," Anita and Charlie Rogers again found themselves in a mess. You guessed it, there was another e-mail photo showing another almost identical gator hanging from another crane, only this gator had grown, according to the caption, to 18 feet. Joe Goff had obviously relocated to Louisiana, because he was there, too. Still striding manfully. Lord, how Anita and Charlie must have been weary of all of this stalking and bellowing and striding by now.

Sometime later that same year, the whole kit and kaboodle–Anita, Charlie, Joe, etc.–moved to Mineral Springs, Arkansas. And again, due to what I think may have been a certain pheromone scent Anita was giving off, a bull alligator the size of a Volkswagen bus appeared at their back door, bellowing excitedly. He fared no better than the others, and wound up hanging from a crane, with roving game warden Joe Goff striding manfully behind him.

So with a series of lakes and gators in Texas, Florida, Louisiana, and Arkansas only dim memories in their tiny minds, Anita and Charlie are here in Cherokee County, Alabama, living on the banks of yet another lake. And now we have our very own dead 23-foot alligator, which, if this journalist has anything to do with it, will have grown to 48 feet by mid-summer.

And if there is any question as to whether our Cherokee County alligator is real, we have those two additional e-mail photos of a gator which might well be thirty feet in length, swimming across Weiss Lake near Hog Island with what any naturalist would immediately recognize as a northeastern Alabama whitetail deer in its mouth. (Given the size of that gator, I estimate the deer to weigh in at around 500 lbs.)

Should somebody try to tell you that those overhead photos actually show a much smaller gator, and were really taken by District Fire Management Officer Terri Jenkins on March 4, 2004, about 40 miles south of Savannah, Georgia, don’t believe a word of it. And don’t let what appears to be Georgia moss in those photos throw you off, either–those are Alabama turnip greens. That’s a 23-footer, and that’s Weiss Lake. If anybody knows gators, it’s Anita and Charlie Rogers, and their word is good enough for me.

And if Grandpa offers to take you water skiing in the vicinity of Leesburg this Spring, make sure he’s been working out and has a good, sturdy paddle for his johnboat. Remember, if those gators tire of venison, you’ll be next on the menu.

And you’ll be on your own, too. I hear that the magnificent Joe Goff, wandering warden, is sick and tired of stalking alligators all over the Southeast. He’s headed for Iowa, where a completely different Anita and Charlie Rogers have reported an enormous, 800-pound, man-eating bull weasel bellowing in the vicinity of their woodpile. He says he plans to hunt the beast down, and then stride manfully behind it once it’s hoisted and hanging from his own, personal weasel crane. He promises to e-mail us some photos.
Old 09-24-08, 12:49 AM   #9
WTL

Gator wouldnt stand a chance. I'd rip its eyeball out and shove it down its throat choking it.
Old 09-24-08, 12:17 PM   #10
Rodman_Rob

They forgot about Lake George. I've heard accounts of that gator being in Lake George and Officer Goff looks like he's wearing an FWC uniform.
Old 09-24-08, 01:08 PM   #11
WTL

That does look like a florida uniform and there is spanish moss in the background.

One email placed that gator at weiss lake in Bama. I dont even know that weiss has gators. Those emails are often hoaxes.
Old 09-24-08, 01:09 PM   #12
CarpMan
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
What about this one?

Capital punishment in Texas has been used in the U.S. state of Texas and its predecessor entities since 1819. Since that time 1153[1] people have been legally executed, by a variety of methods — hanging, firing squad, electrocution and lethal injection. Most executions were for murder, but other crimes such as piracy, cattle rustling, treason, desertion and rape have been subject to death sentences. ‘scuse me judge, but whad dis gator do da get hung by do neck???
CarpMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-08, 02:18 PM   #13
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarpMan View Post
Capital punishment in Texas has been used in the U.S. state of Texas and its predecessor entities since 1819. Since that time 1153[1] people have been legally executed, by a variety of methods — hanging, firing squad, electrocution and lethal injection. Most executions were for murder, but other crimes such as piracy, deerrustling, treason, desertion and rape have been subject to death sentences. ‘scuse me judge, but whad dis gator do da get hung by do neck???
http://neveryetmelted.com/wp-images/GatorDeer1.jpg
Old 09-24-08, 02:26 PM   #14
Fishnngolfn

I have seen that picture and snopes can tell you exactly where the picture was taken. Anyway, I think that picture is awesome regardless of where it was taken.
Old 09-24-08, 02:41 PM   #15
flfireman

The thing about the last picture. If that's a Fl deer, the gator is only about 10-12 feet. If it's a northern deer, that's a big A$$ gator.
Old 10-03-08, 09:35 PM   #16
Bassgrl81

Send a message via AIM to Bassgrl81 Send a message via Yahoo to Bassgrl81

Our Gator season in SC was a few weeks ago. While waiting for safelight an airboat came in with two 11 footers from the river. I was thinking "fried gator tail"! On the lake a 13 footer was shot. They only give out so many tags per year.... I'm definitely putting in for one!

Here's a few pics...

Old 10-03-08, 10:05 PM   #17
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassgrl81 View Post
Our Gator season in SC was a few weeks ago. While waiting for safelight an airboat came in with two 11 footers from the river. I was thinking "fried gator tail"! On the lake a 13 footer was shot. They only give out so many tags per year.... I'm definitely putting in for one!
I think they should make you "fish" for gators with a pole, hook, and bait. Shooting them just doesn't seem fair. Unless of course on creeps up on you while you are bank fishing.
Old 10-04-08, 12:19 PM   #18
Bassgrl81

Lightbulb

Quote:
I think they should make you "fish" for gators with a pole, hook, and bait. Shooting them just doesn't seem fair. Unless of course on creeps up on you while you are bank fishing.
I have caught a few with a spinnerbait and crankbait. The problem is that people have been feeding them, and they enjoy feasting on dogs. I think we need to install the fear of humans back into them. Only 1000 tags are alloted via lottery in South Carolina (kind of similar to bear hunting in the North).

There's a lot more than just shooting them, you actually have to lasso them, shoot them, etc...not going to go into all the details.

I'm originally from the north, and we also shoot bears...honestly I don't see the difference between hunting deer, bears and gators. Atleast it's quick. Some people in pita find fishing to be "awefull" due to setting the hook in a fishes mouth. Also, remember, hunting gators is a source of income for some as well.
Old 10-04-08, 01:29 PM   #19
Bo Dale James Jr.
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

They found a four foot gator in a pond in one of the suburbs of St. Louis the other day.
I wonder why it's always the four footers that get spotted in weird areas...
I know ppl throw them out when they are 2 feet and they don't get noticed until they are big enough to eat a poodle or 3 yr old kid.
http://www.myfoxstl.com/myfox/pages/...d=1.1.1&sflg=1

PSBassgrl that is quite a bass in your avatar!!
Old 10-04-08, 01:42 PM   #20
Rodman_Rob

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr. View Post
I wonder why it's always the four footers that get spotted in weird areas...
when water levels drop, gators will travel to bodies of water with a larger food supply. If a particular lake goes down, the larger gators will get territorial. The smaller gators can't find food and don't want to become food so they're more likely to leave the lake in search of other bodies of water.
Old 10-04-08, 05:59 PM   #21
Fishnngolfn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassgrl81 View Post
I'm originally from the north, and we also shoot bears...honestly I don't see the difference between hunting deer, bears and gators. Atleast it's quick. Some people in pita find fishing to be "awefull" due to setting the hook in a fishes mouth. Also, remember, hunting gators is a source of income for some as well.
I hope you didn't take my post seriously. I was kidding and hoped the winking smiley would convey the tongue in cheek comment. PETA activists are good at times but the extreme ones are horrible. Some of them make me think they are vegans - see ice cream made from breast milk article.
Old 10-04-08, 06:29 PM   #22
Bassgrl81

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bo Dale James Jr. View Post
PSBassgrl that is quite a bass in your avatar!!

Why thank you, it's an example of a Santee Bass!
Old 10-05-08, 06:39 PM   #23
flbassman

A guy I go to church with killed one last week that the 7th biggest ever taken in FL......

http://www.jacksonville.com/tu-onlin...37724194.shtml

Last edited by flbassman; 10-05-08 at 06:45 PM.
flbassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 08:26 PM   #24
bamabassman

i still want a jacket, shoes and belt.
bamabassman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-08, 09:10 PM   #25
zooker

here is the ga state record takin this year from the savanah area..-which is about an hour drive from you all trista..

13'7'' 680 pounds.. it took 4 large guys at the boat ramp to load it in a boat for transport to the weigh in..

zooker

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.