Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Bass Boats, Trailers & Setups
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 12-23-08, 09:17 PM   #1
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Question Need advice on towing a disabled boat

I have a Lowe 16' 6" FM165 Fishing Machine deep hull 82" beam. Need advice on type/style of tow harness to use . Also any advice re the size of a boat I could tow practicing good sense. Checked my Lowe owners manuel but it didnt address this. I checked on the internet. See Bass Pro has a double style harness that attaches I assume to the trailer tie downs on each side of the transom. Theirs is listed at 12' long and has a float on the cable to keep the tow harness from getting into the prop. Any advice on what your using length etc and suggestions would be helpful before I select. My boat hull weight is 950 # and I push it with a 60 hp 4 stroke merc outboard

Last edited by coolbreeze; 12-23-08 at 09:34 PM. Reason: need to add info
coolbreeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-08, 10:12 PM   #2
Captmikestarrett
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

If the boat being towed exceeds the length of he tow boat one should use a double lash method.

Let me explain.

Tie a short rope to the most forward cleat of the tow boat and to the most forward cleat of the towee.

Use a short rope to bring the rear of each boat together. Give about one foot of freeplay. Place a life vest or a fender at the rear lash.

This is called the side by side tow and will allow docking and loading to a trailer.

Capt Mike
Old 12-24-08, 12:16 AM   #3
MIbasser

I'm not sure what tow harness you are talking about from BPS, but it sounds like a harness you would use to tow a tuber or skier. Capt Mike has a great idea but to keep it simple an anchor rope or two dock lines tied together would work as well.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 01:07 AM   #4
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Txs Mike. Ill keep that idea in mind. Txs also for your response Mibasser. By your method if I understand it if I were the boat doing the towing you would suggest I run a single tow line from my boat to the boat Im towing. Im a little confused because you mentioned tying two dock lines together. Do you mean tie the two lines together to form one straight line or do you mean run two tow lines one off each side of the back of my boat.
Old 12-24-08, 10:50 AM   #5
MIbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolbreeze View Post
Do you mean tie the two lines together to form one straight line or do you mean run two tow lines one off each side of the back of my boat.

Yes, two to make one. My dock lines are about 10 or so feet so it would just put the boat in tow a little farther back.
MIbasser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-08, 12:10 PM   #6
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

I understand. Ill check at Bass Pro or Cabelas next time in. My main concern is safety proper tow length and keeping the tow rope away from the prop.
Old 12-24-08, 02:42 PM   #7
zooker
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

i have towed several boats.. in general just make sure the guys in the boat your towing sit in the "on plane" positions.. this makes the rear of the boat dig in more and track straight behind you...

zooker
Old 12-24-08, 03:39 PM   #8
coolbreeze
BassFishin.Com Member

Cool

Good stuff ! Ill be the Captin and keep um in line

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.