Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 01-30-12, 08:37 PM   #1
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Baitcaster vs Spinning reels.

Another question for you guys. What are the advantages of a baitcaster vs a Spinning reel? Also how hard are they to use? I am going to buy a new rod and reel and cant decide if I should buy a baitcasting reel or a spinning reel.

Thanks Again
tbirds00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-12, 08:46 PM   #2
bamabassman
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

well oyu are gonna hear pros and cons on each style. personally i LOVE baitcasters, spinning reels are good too, but i only use mine fo certain types of baits. things like light lures and such. once mastered,( no i ain't "mastered" it either,hahaha) a baitcaster is wonderful to use. i found i have better acurate casts with a baitcaster over a spinning reel. and for me it is easier to use over a spinning reel. but like i said, there are cons to a baitcaster as well, "mastering" one is at the top of the list. get used to bird nests in the beginning and even when oyu THINK you got the hang of it. practice,[practic,practice is required on a baitcaster.
a con for the spinning reel for me is lack of pin-point casts, and line twist. but i don't use a spinning reel as much as a baitcaster so that may be my problem.

both are great tools no matter what type of fishing oyu do. so i would tell you to learn both as equals. jsut to cover the bases.
Old 01-30-12, 08:50 PM   #3
carolina-rig-01

The advantages of baitcasters is that they are more accurate casting, have more power when fighting fish, and handle heavier line better than a spinning reel. Spinning reels are generally better at casting lighter baits, especially in windy conditions. Whether you would be better off with a baitcaster or spinning reel depends on what techniques you will be using this reel for. If you go with the baitcaster there are several threads on here you can dig up by doing a search that talk about how to set them up for learning to cast them. They really aren't hard to use once you get used to using your thumb to feather the spool. As you get better at it you will start to loosen the brakes and tension knob and start getting more distance when you cast. One more thing, buy the best baitcaster you can afford because they are generally more user friendly which makes learning easier and also will still be a reel you enjoy fishing with after you master it.
Old 01-30-12, 11:44 PM   #4
keithdog

I think Bama and C Rig pretty much covered it. I think you need to fill us in on what type of fishing you are planning to do and what types of lures are you going to use. Do you plan on power fishing with spinnerbaits and crankbaits? Are you wanting to work frogs and jigs in heavy vegitation? Are you looking for something to use small finese applications? All that plays into the type of rod/reel your going to want to buy.
Old 01-31-12, 12:00 AM   #5
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

I was looking for something to use with spinners and buzzbaits as well as some crankbaits.
Old 01-31-12, 12:07 AM   #6
bamabassman

ok, learn to use a baitcaster buddy. lol. it'll make a world of difference for ya.
Old 01-31-12, 01:18 AM   #7
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

Well it seems baitcaster is the winner lol. Thanks a lot for the replies. This site has been really helpful.
Old 01-31-12, 01:22 AM   #8
Jrob78
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbirds00 View Post
Well it seems baitcaster is the winner lol. Thanks a lot for the replies. This site has been really helpful.
Good choice. I would highly recommend finding a baitcaster with dual brakes. They offer the highest range of breaking and should be the easiest to learn on. Bass Pro Shops house brands, Pflueger and Abu Garcia Revo are just a few of the companies that offer high quality reels with dual breaks.
Old 01-31-12, 01:43 AM   #9
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrob78 View Post
Good choice. I would highly recommend finding a baitcaster with dual brakes. They offer the highest range of breaking and should be the easiest to learn on. Bass Pro Shops house brands, Pflueger and Abu Garcia Revo are just a few of the companies that offer high quality reels with dual breaks.
The Abu Garcia revo was one of the ones i was looking at. Ive seen a lot of people who love them on here and thought that would be the best choice. What do you guys think of Quantum and Okuma casting reels? Do they stack up well against Abu Garcia's?
Old 01-31-12, 03:53 AM   #10
basstech
BassFishin.Com Active Member

It really depends on the price range, A high end Quantum is going to out perform a low end garcia. For reels in the same price range with the same properties I would get a Garcia long before I forked out cash on a Quantum, But then again, I prefer Shimano over both by a good margin. For a decent inexpensive reel ($70 to $100) I would seriously consider a Bass Pro Shops Pro Qualifier, even over a Shimano in that same price range. If you are looking at reels between the $120.00 and $200.00 range though, Shimano is hard to beat. If you are wanting to throw cranks alot, go with a smaller gear ratio. But if your going to primarily throw spinners and buzz baits I would get one in the 6.0-6.3:1 gear ratio range.
Old 01-31-12, 03:31 PM   #11
screwballl
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I fall into the "oddity" category where I pretty much ONLY use spinning reels. My main reason for this is being 6'5" with big hands, and even the larger baitcasters just seemed to cramp my hands after a short time. I haven't any real difference and in my case a matter of preference plus physical reasons, spinning reels just work best for me.

I tend to use specific rod types and line rather than reel type for the lures and so far has worked out pretty well for me.

Everyone has their preferences and reasons.
screwballl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:45 PM   #12
DVT Mike
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Each has its time and place as stated above. You can certainly catch fish with either/or but IMO mastering both opens options and enhances the overall experience.
Old 02-01-12, 01:04 AM   #13
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

Has any tried the new shimano curado 200g? Ive read some reviews of people who didn't like them and that the e series are better than this years models.
Old 02-01-12, 04:33 AM   #14
joedog

I use both almost equally.
Shore fishing I'll usually carry one 7' with baitcaster and usually 2 spinning varying based on what I targeting that day, sorta like screwball.
Switching back and forth really got me to become better at both.
I really don't know that I'm more accurate with bait castor or spinning. I personally think I get more distance on spinning and almost always spinning on less than 1/4 oz. baits..
When boat fishing I use to carry at least one right handed baitcaster due to casting fatige.(I prefer left handed retrieve) After 5 plus hrs. of constant casting I'd have to switch due to hand cramps.
Old 02-07-12, 06:49 PM   #15
tbirds00
BassFishin.Com Member

I just bought the revo sx by abu garcia. Why do reels have two breaking systems?
Old 02-08-12, 10:54 AM   #16
TN_Bassin

Well the SX actually has just one braking system the linear magnetic brakes. The Revo STX, Premier, and MGX have the dual braking system which combines centrifugal brakes and magnetic brakes to take advantage of both styles of brakes.

Centrifugal brakes take advantage of a fast moving spool to slow down the spool by using a combination of 6 pins that can be turned on or off. This means centrifugals are more effective at the beginning of a cast where the spool has the most rpms.

Magnetic brakes use magnets to slow down the spool and are more effective when the spool is moving at a slower speed. They will still work when the spools rpms are high but a lot of times with reels with magnetic brakes, if you watch the spool during a long cast a backlash will start to form and then work itself out. This is because of the spool starting to slow down and the magnetic brakes getting a better "hold" on the spool.

Combining both breaking styles, in theory, would give you the best of both worlds.

With either magnetic brakes or centrifugals or both, you still have to have a smart thumb and a smart thumb comes with several years of practice.
Old 02-08-12, 01:33 PM   #17
joedog

Thumbs up

you still have to have a smart thumb and a smart thumb comes with several years of practice.

Well said TN_Bassin.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.