Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 02-02-12, 02:17 PM   #1
wallywallace
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Default do people still fish with pistol grip handles

i have yet to get a topwater rod and for some reason like pistol grip rods, the first rod i can remember using was a pistal, i see bionic rods by bps makes them, whats your opnions? I know the handle is't long. but do you think for a top water 6'6 to 7 it would be good, i will have to break the habbit of using the grip above the reel since it doesn't have one( idk if it does) and if it doesnt will it mess up the sturdiness of rod without a longer handle
wallywallace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:19 PM   #2
lilmule
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

In a short rod using underhanded or even side armed its a plus,in a long rod needing long casts its a minus.
lilmule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 02:21 PM   #3
wallywallace

so if i get a 6'6 you think it should be fine, for jerks and topwaters.
Old 02-02-12, 02:22 PM   #4
IUbass
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallywallace View Post
i have yet to get a topwater rod and for some reason like pistol grip rods, the first rod i can remember using was a pistal, i see bionic rods by bps makes them, whats your opnions? I know the handle is't long. but do you think for a top water 6'6 to 7 it would be good, i will have to break the habbit of using the grip above the reel since it doesn't have one( idk if it does) and if it doesnt will it mess up the sturdiness of rod without a longer handle
I've always seen a select few in my life... I know they wont fit in the boat rod holder and I usually grip my reel anyway... I mean if you like it and feels comfortable go for it!
IUbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 03:14 PM   #5
wallywallace

yea, its been a while and i loved mine, i honestly forgiot about em to i seen guy have one in a youtube vid.
Old 02-02-12, 06:25 PM   #6
Bassboss
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

I've actually got a bit of the grip took of my spinnerbait top water rod making it about 6'4". The handles a little shorter and I like because I can still do a nice roll cast, but get enough leverage if I have to make a long cast. I have used pistol grip rods though.. In fact I had an old 5' zebco pistol grip fromt he 80's. Used spinnerbaits with it, and although I liked the casts, I had difficulty getting the hook into the fish and keeping leverage on them. To be fair, I was using a right handed baitcaster for the first time, but still.

I I could find a good one for cheap at a garage sale or something, I'd no doubt get it and give it a good run for it's money to see how I like it.. but I don't see myself going out of my way to get a PG rod.
Old 02-02-12, 07:23 PM   #7
wallywallace

Alright, idk monkey likes it. But at. This time I wouldn't pay the 70 for the bionic just cause of a want, guess I will get somthing else
Thanx
Old 02-02-12, 08:40 PM   #8
nobass

i use mind for spinner baits. the shost rod lets me throw under handed and dose not let the rod tip hit the water. when throw under overhangs. it is just erasier for me to control and hitting targets in tight spaces
Old 02-02-12, 09:51 PM   #9
AUFred

I still use some occasionally
AUFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-12, 10:44 PM   #10
wallywallace

as much as i love them, it would be waist of money for me to get, i hardly and when i do i throw spinnerbaits with spinning tackle
Old 02-03-12, 07:30 AM   #11
basstech

I don't think I've ever seen a rod longer than 6'0" with a pistol grip. If you want a long rod with a pistol grip you would probably have to have one made. Of course with all the different manufacturers out there and me only being focussed on 2 or 3 of them over the last 20 years, well, it's possible, but I can't imagine it would be very comfortable to use.
Old 02-03-12, 09:01 AM   #12
Top Tiger

I've been using pistol grips for many, many years. Of the five combos that I usually take with me, three are pistol grips and one is a spinning rig. A good quality rod with a pistol grip will do most anything you you care to try. I guess that I'm just old school but I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
Top Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-12, 05:08 PM   #13
Dave63

Hell yes. That's my spinnerbait rod.
Dave63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-12, 08:04 AM   #14
Mike304
BassFishin.Com Member

I still have one, but I never use it. Older Fenwick HMG, was a top of the line rod back in the day, it was the first high end rod I ever bought, and I haven't been the same since. I am using it now to teach my son how to throw a baitcaster.
Old 02-15-12, 09:47 AM   #15
DVT Mike

A six foot rod with a pistol grip would have about the same effective rod length (from front of reel seat to tip) as a 6'6". You'll probably be hard pressed to find a 7 footer with a pistol grip. Short accurate roll casts is where a pistol grip would shine. If you want the casting distance of a 7' rod I'd suggest shopping around for one with a shorter full grip.
Old 02-15-12, 12:13 PM   #16
3dkicker

I've had a couple over the years. All were/are between 5' and 5'6" and used to sling spinnerbaits under docks. I've got one rigged up to use this spring. Only issue I have with them is that I tend to bust the tips off of them. Don't know why but they don't last long. Good thing is that I can usually find some good ones for cheap at the winter flea markets.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.