Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 05-31-08, 08:28 PM   #1
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Default Drop Shot Essentials

Hey Guy's. I am very upset. I was fishing last night about 12:00PM and decided to try out the drop shot. I was fishing from a dock but concentrated on my experiment next to the bank. Nex tthing I new the end of my pole took of in the water and before I could react it was over. I missed the hook set. I fished some more and was very sucessful in getting bites. I was very unsuccessful in getting hook set. In the hour time I lost another one when it jumped out of the water, about 7-8 more bites, but managed to land one. I got to thinking that maybe my hook size and the way I was attaching the bait was not correct. I used a drop shot r-bend hook and made my 5" worm weedless. Any pointers on hooking thee bastards?
crankitup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-08, 12:55 AM   #2
Rebbasser
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Try not fishing it weedless. I rarely fish it without an exposed hook. I use a Gamakatsu drop shot hook and just nose hook the bait. I get hung up occasionally but rarely miss a fish.
Old 06-01-08, 09:43 AM   #3
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

I'll use the standout hook or an octopus hook. but on rare occasions, I'll use a gammy EWG size 2 hook for weedless rigging. I would definately reccomend one of the first two options though. And remember, with an octopus or circle hook you don't really need to set the hook.

BB
Old 06-01-08, 11:30 AM   #4
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

There really isn't a "hookset" the way we normally set the hook. When you feel the bite, reel up the slack and pull back enough to add tension to the line. This is usually sufficient to drive the typical light wire hook home. Heck, many times, they nail the lure so hard they hook themselves. If you're using mono, try switching to fluorcarbon. You will probably notice an increase in hits and catches. Also, if you haven't already, search the forum for an little piece I wrote about drop shotting. There might be something in the piece you might find helpful.

Any "cross their eyes" hookset, is a recipe that increases the likelihood of missing.

Many folks like to use gammy split shot/drop shot hooks in sizes 1-4. I also agree with just nose hooking. Unless there is a lot of grass nose hooking with the hook exposed is the better way to go. Congrats on your success though!
Old 06-01-08, 02:37 PM   #5
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

How do you use a dropshot when other boaters are going by or it's windy etc. I tried to use it today and didn't really know the proper place for it. I was on a boat in a new lake.
Old 06-01-08, 04:33 PM   #6
Bob Smith

First of all you can use the drop shot just about anywhere you would normally throw another worm rig or jig rig. The only difference is that it gets the bait up off the bottom.
As you can see there are numerous hook configurations you can use. My personal preference is the Owner #1 offset wide gap. Once you learn the correct way to tie it so that the hook sticks straight out with the point "up" then you rig the finesse worm "texposed" with the hookpoint through the worm and skinhooked on top of the worm. As IB stated the hookset is more of a pull into the fish as he "loads" up on the bait. Braided line for the main line and flourocarbon leaders make for almost no line stretch so power hooksets are not necessary. When you using the new super sharp hooks, the above method is usually more than adequate. Next make sure to keep your drag set loose enough to let the fish run through those power surges, just keep the fish in the water (bow to them when they jump). Pretty soon it will become second nature to you. Until then find someone who has been using the method successfully and watch what they do.
Old 06-01-08, 05:07 PM   #7
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Thank You for the info. I will defnitly keep you guys updated. Damn Fish. I need to hunt down these hooks. I got some that said drop shot but they don't seem to be working out.
Old 06-01-08, 05:30 PM   #8
islandbass

Crankitup,

are they the gammakatsu? I highly recommend that you try to find the Gamakatsu Split Shot/Drop Shot Hooks or the Owner Mosquito Hooks. These two are superb and will definitely get the job down. I like the latter a little better because the are slightly cheaper and I get more hooks in a local tackle shop.

With either hook, you can practically make a "do nothing" hookset (kind of), just get tension in the line. And don't worry too much about yanking it out of their mouths. That's just plain, flat out excitement, and we all do that (at least I have) on occasstion, usually when I don't follow my own advice on the hookset. Yep, It usually happens when it's been so long since catching a fish, like right now. I have a broken foot so I ain't going to be fishing for a while and the last fish I caught was in April, I think. And it wasn't even a bass.
Old 06-01-08, 06:30 PM   #9
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

This defintely helps me. Thank You. When do you suggest is the best time to use a drop shot? Around boulders, downed tree's???
Old 06-02-08, 12:09 AM   #10
islandbass

Because I am a drop shot addict, I will say anytime.

Some will fish it when the bass are less active, but it is one of the techniques whose potential for catching fish (and not only bass) is pretty decent, regardless of their activity level.

What are the specs of your rod and the line you're using?
Old 06-02-08, 11:35 AM   #11
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

I am using a curardo 6.2:1 (I believe) with a 6'6" medium duty rod. I can feel almost anything on it. If a minnow bites it I feel it lol. The line I got is the New Sufix 10lb Test. I love it. No memory, low stretch.
Old 06-02-08, 11:43 AM   #12
BigBassin144

I Prefer a spinning rod for DS. A 6'6" rod is perfect length though. I will be getting a longer rod, Shimano Crucial DS rod 7'2" M because I'll be using it to catch smallies on Erie and St Clair. They also make a 6'8" rod. As for line: braid is fine, but tie a good swivel on it then some fluorocarbon (6-8lb test).

Even though it is considered finesse, I think DS works anytime. I caught quite a few right after ice out on, and I've cause some in warmer 60-64* water.

BB
Old 06-02-08, 01:02 PM   #13
crankitup
BassFishin.Com Member

Is the fluorocarbon necessary? What is the purpose? ANd do I need a swivel because the line will spin?
Old 06-02-08, 04:04 PM   #14
Raul

I fish with R bend hooks for dropsotting in woody cover to avoid hangups, but I never rig the bait weedless, I always rig it texposed.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-08, 04:13 PM   #15
BigBassin144

Crank, the fluoro is not necessary, however it will help to keep the fish from seeing the braid. As for the swivel, it is but necessary either buy again it helps. Because whenusing a spinning reel, reducing line twist as much as possible is always a good idea.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.