Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 07-16-09, 10:48 AM   #1
richrob424
BassFishin.Com Member

Default spiderwire xxx super mono

I bought some spiderwire xxx super mono and now dont know if I should take it back and get something different. I bought the 6lb. test. I fish mostly rivers and need distance but flickability as well. Anyone have any opinions for me. I have a Shakespeare ,Uglystick combo. I took the line off that came with the combo and put some Stren 15 lb.test (came on a giant spool) on it. THat stuff did not cast worth a damn and had alot of "memory".
richrob424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-09, 04:04 PM   #2
WillTheThrill
BassFishin.Com Member

I have the same line on my reel, except mine is 14lb. Casts well and is actually pretty tough. I'd go with heavier line, but thats my preference
WillTheThrill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 01:32 PM   #3
sac
BassFishin.Com Active Member

6lb is kinda small, I'd get something a little bigger. I don't care very much for Spiderwire either.

Have you put the Spiderwire on it already?
sac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 05:31 PM   #4
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

What size is the reel, I think 15lb line is way overkill for a spinning reels and never use anything over 10 myself. Sufix mono is the best I've tried.

BB
Old 07-22-09, 05:37 PM   #5
Stew

I think it's a waste to buy high-priced mono.

Instead, use a moderate brand such as Bass Pro Shops Excel, use line conditioner, and never let the first 50 yards or so be anything other than very fresh and new.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-09, 06:14 PM   #6
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
I think it's a waste to buy high-priced mono.

Instead, use a moderate brand such as Bass Pro Shops Excel, use line conditioner, and never let the first 50 yards or so be anything other than very fresh and new.
I disagree, I hate the stuff, the light line for it is fine, but over 10, I hate it, it gets kinks and it has a lot of

Boss
Old 07-23-09, 05:08 PM   #7
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Stew, what do you consider to be expensive mono? For the most part, I've found mono's to be similar in price, and still way cheaper than fluoros or braid. too bad I hardly ever use mono. Like I said, Sufix mono is the best I've used.

BB
Old 07-27-09, 02:40 AM   #8
Stew

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBassin144 View Post
Stew, what do you consider to be expensive mono? For the most part, I've found mono's to be similar in price, and still way cheaper than fluoros or braid. too bad I hardly ever use mono. Like I said, Sufix mono is the best I've used.

BB
Basically, if it is routinely sold primarily in 150 to 300 yrd spools, it's typically more expensive mono.

The issue I find when buying higher priced mono is that I want to be conservative about replacing it. But when I buy something like BPS Excel, sold in 1,200 yard spools for around the same price as a 300 yard spool of a higher end mono, I feel free to change it out after after every hard day of fishing. In my mind, consistently very fresh but less expensive mono amounts to overall superior outcomes compared to keeping on older, more expensive mono.

Another way to be economical is to backspool with something like BPS Excel and only connect on 50 to 75 yrds or so of, say, the Suffix you like. Just make sure the uni-to-uni or blood knot will never see the light of day while fishing. You don't even want to ever see the knot on the spool while fishing, because it will impede casting. Then you can feel more free to often replace the Suffix part of your line.

That's me and mono, anyway. I don't often use it for bassin', because clear water is uncommon in my area. Ever since Spiderwire was released in 1992 (dang, it really has been that long), I've been spoiled rotten with braid, and prefer to connect on long leaders of flouro when it's called for. For our spinning rigs with 4 to 10 pound test, using cheaper mono that you change out very frequently makes all the more sense, in my mind.

~

Last edited by Stew; 07-27-09 at 03:13 AM.
Stew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-09, 10:45 AM   #9
Bgolladay
BassFishin.Com Member

I have some 10 pound bps excel on my baitcaster i bought yesterday and i like it alright but not really im waiting to go buy some braid for it any ideas on a brand i should buy or should i just stick with mono or get some flouro for it
Bgolladay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:35 AM   #10
fish4942

Quote:
Originally Posted by richrob424 View Post
I bought some spiderwire xxx super mono and now dont know if I should take it back and get something different. I bought the 6lb. test. I fish mostly rivers and need distance but flickability as well. Anyone have any opinions for me. I have a Shakespeare ,Uglystick combo. I took the line off that came with the combo and put some Stren 15 lb.test (came on a giant spool) on it. THat stuff did not cast worth a damn and had alot of "memory".
Yeah I feel ya on the stren if it’s stren original. I tried it on two different spinning reels. It was depressing. I put some on my sons shimano spinning reel about 2 months ago. He hasn’t used it since. Was too much memory. I love it on one of my baitcasters, but spinning reels it’s awful. If you only need 6-8 lb test I would take it to Bass Pro Shop if you have one close by and have it spooled with their line. I’m talking about the stuff they have behind the counter on their bulk spools. It’s only like $.02 a yard. I’ve had absolutely no trouble with their line. I have 2 baitcasters spooled with 12-14lb test and 2 spinning reels spooled with 8-10lb test.
fish4942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-09, 11:41 AM   #11
Bob Smith
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Personally, I have nothing in my gear spooled with anything lighter than 10 lb test. So giving an honest evaluation for the light line stuff is out of my realm. But you mentioned the Berkely Spider Wire XXX Super mono. I bought a spool of that stuff at Walmart a couple of weeks ago in the 17 lb. range. Price wise it was not expensive (compared to other monos on the shelf).
So far I have no complaints with it. The line is a smaller diameter and great for working rattle traps and jigging spoons. I haven't noticed any memory, but then again the temps are in the 80s and 90s down here so most lines are more limp anyway.
So far so good.
Old 07-31-09, 11:21 PM   #12
Big E
BassFishin.Com Member

I've always liked Stren Original on my spinning reels. Use a line conditioner spray on your lines. There is a good reason why all the Pro's use it. E
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-09, 09:54 AM   #13
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stew View Post
Basically, if it is routinely sold primarily in 150 to 300 yrd spools, it's typically more expensive mono.

The issue I find when buying higher priced mono is that I want to be conservative about replacing it. But when I buy something like BPS Excel, sold in 1,200 yard spools for around the same price as a 300 yard spool of a higher end mono, I feel free to change it out after after every hard day of fishing. In my mind, consistently very fresh but less expensive mono amounts to overall superior outcomes compared to keeping on older, more expensive mono.
~
http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...con&hasJS=true

Old 08-02-09, 12:35 PM   #14
Big E
BassFishin.Com Member

Sufix Elite sounds pretty good and has got a couple of good testimonials. Think I'll give it a try. Thanks E
Big E is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-09, 02:30 PM   #15
RandyHolt
BassFishin.Com Member

I am very happy with Spiderwire Mono. As mentioned, a heavier line may give you better performance. 12 Spiderwire Mono has been a go to line for me. I am just starting to test the waters with braid and fluoro...
RandyHolt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-09, 03:51 AM   #16
islandbass
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

I think you are asking too much from 15# test mono to cast if you have a spinning set up, but you didn't specify if you are talking about a spinning or casting set up.

As a rule of thumb, don't expect any mono line greater than 10# test to cast well on a bass-sized spinning (2500 or smaller). Also, memory is pretty much a given on ANY mono line so the challenge is, if you're going to use mono, is to manage it.

@ richrob424 - if the cover in your river allows you to get away with it try 8# test. You will get your casting distance and the line will be strong enough to bring in the pigs.

If the current is really strong and/or you need a stronger line, step up to 10#. 10# is about the limit with regard to balancing strength, manageability and castibility for your rig if it is indeed a spinning setup. If you have to go with a higher # test like 15, then a spinning reel with the right spool size (like a 3000 or 4000 sized spool) will be able to handle 15# test.

I can tell you that of all the mono lines I have tried none, seem to resist memory as well as Sufix, both Siege and Elite. Here is an example. I spooled 10# siege on my curado 101D sometime in the summer in 2008. The reel did not even see the light of day (broken ankle) until I started fishing again this season. To my surprise, I couldn't believe how little memory there was. It was practically non-existent.

However, given that excellent trait to resist memory, they both cast well, but there are other monos that cast a little farther but I could care less for farther casts.

The differences between Elite and Siege IMHO opinion can be parallelled with Trilene's XL and XT lines. The Elite (I used 6 and 8# tests so far) is similar to XL. A bit limper and casts very well. The Siege is akin to XT. More abrasion resistant, but the kicker is this... Siege and Elite have the same diameter at the same strength. I wonder how Sufix does this.

If cover is light or your targetting open water go with elite. If you need the abrasion resistance for heavier cover, go with Siege.

That 6# mono will cast way farther and with less effort than 15# mono.
Old 08-05-09, 12:14 PM   #17
Backwater Charlie

If that Stren wouldn't cast, then that Spiderwire sure as hell won't cast. Spiderwire is the stiffest, highest memory line they make in my opinion. For the lowest memory possible in a mono, switch to Trilene XL Smooth Casting.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.