Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > Techniques, Strategy & Presentations
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 11-11-05, 10:20 PM   #1
rrw4258
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Rapala Husky Jerks

How do the Rapala Husky Jerks work? Do u guys like them? I found one on clearance today for 2 bucks in a clown color, so i picked it up. How do u fish these lures? It is a HJ-8! Thanks

Ryan
Old 11-11-05, 10:30 PM   #2
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

clown,silver and gold husky jerks are excellent springtime lures here in the garden state.i would have bought them all at 2 bucks ea.haven't really used them much any other time of the year.they do have a tendency to get the lip broke off.especially in cold water if you try to smack the water to get grass off..don't do that.lol....i have a dozen or so...good bait.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 10:32 PM   #3
rrw4258

what is the proper method for fishing these lures? constant retreive? Stop and go?
Old 11-11-05, 10:40 PM   #4
bassintom

Send a message via AIM to bassintom Send a message via Yahoo to bassintom

you have to try different retrieves...sometimes pause..sometimes just a steady retrieve.experiment till the fish tell you which way they want it.
bassintom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-05, 10:41 PM   #5
Unregistered

I use a bait caster setup. I throw it, wait for the ripples to fade out. Then I short jerk or twitch. Pause, short jerk or twitch, and do it again. Reel in and do it all over again. Good bait.
Old 11-12-05, 05:57 AM   #6
JB
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Ya fish it just like any hard body jerkbait, throw it out and give it many hard jerks and reel, try to get it down to the desired depth, then pause, jerk , mix it up, let it set, then repeat.
I have always noticed the Husky Jerk tumbles downward on the jerk more than a rattling rogue, which decends but has a sideways motion to it.
Both are considered jerk baits, both have slightly dif motions on retreive but basically get the job done.
The husky jerk is a tad bigger around to I think.
JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 07:15 AM   #7
pig n jig

I use the HJ-10 series more than the smaller ones, but you have got a good bait for a good price.The thing I have found is the more level you can get the bait to swim when it is sitting still between pauses, the more fish you will catch.It doesn't matter at what depth it fishes at as long as it stops level instead of the tail being lower than the body or the head being dropped below the rest of the bait. Suspend dots will balance them. You can also change the action by placing suspend dots at different areas. The dots placed at the mid section changes the wobble to a wiggle and if you place the dot on the tail section, it makes the bait skid sideways in the water as JB said the Rogues do, I would be they have more weight in the tail section than a husky jerk does, but you can add suspend dots to change that if you want to. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-05, 09:36 AM   #8
Joe_S.
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I like the Hj10's and 12's and as posted above they are a great cold clear water spring time lure here and that's usually the only time I have one tied on, I usually use a twitch, twitch, pause retrieve, the colder the water the longer the pause usually, But I will say this, last week a guy in our tourney caught two 4+ lbers on a jerkbait, (got the info from his kid )I never really used them in fall but may be giving it a bit of a chance tomorrow, that is if I can put the jig down

There is a lot of algae on top of the water form turnover but underneath is pretty clear so maybe that's why he had the success he did.
Old 11-12-05, 11:19 AM   #9
zooker

fall is a good time for using them. i have used hj6-12 prefuring the hj10-12 over the rest but they work.

zooker
Old 11-12-05, 12:20 PM   #10
JB

Anytime the water temp is 50's to 60ish I got for the jerkbait, and although I have many husky jerks I always find myself looking through my rattling rogue box instead of the rapala box, I have tried them all and they all work fine, but up here in oHIo I like the smaller profile jerkbait
JB is offline   Reply With Quote

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.