Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Serious Conversation Only > General Bass Fishing Topics
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 12-21-07, 10:42 AM   #1
brushhog
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Default Most expensive lure owned?

I've been browsing some tackle sites and am amazed at the price of some lures and baits!

My question is this, what is the most the bait monkey has ever gotten from you for one lure? More precisely, what expensive lure was most worth the money and what expensive lure do you wish you never bought?

I really haven't ventured into anything much over $10... But the bait monkey is banging the drum like crazy this winter!!
Old 12-21-07, 10:46 AM   #2
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

Well, it WAS a lucky craft, but I lost it...

I'd like to get a couple XCaliber lures this summer. So thse will be my most expensive lures when I get em. (9.99-12.99)

BB
Old 12-21-07, 10:58 AM   #3
jasonfish320
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

I love this topic..if my old lady only knew what all those deliveries actually were she would probably shoot me..no really..

As for me, I own two Imitation Bluegills from Mattlures.com, gotta check these out and during the spawn they catch some big @ss BASS! http://www.mattlures.com/ultimatebluegill.htm

I tie a mean polamar knot with a 35# braid and pray to the fishing gods that I don't catch another 30" Pike that decides to bite through my line only feet from the side of the boat...you can picture my reaction
Old 12-21-07, 12:53 PM   #4
Captmikestarrett

Rico 23.00
Zero Tiny Matt Frog 47.00
Splash-it-II 28.00
Bass-Oreno 47.00 from E-bay
Zippin Ziggy 22.00 got more than a dozen..

Some of those new swim baits cost a bundle too.

Capt Mike
Old 12-21-07, 12:57 PM   #5
Raul

Got 150 cranks from 15 up to 25 bones pop ( Megabass, Lucky Craft, Jackall, Imakatsu, Daiwa )

Swimbaits ...... donīt ask, the cheapest ones run from 30 up to 90 bones the most expensive.

Yeah, got more money than brains.
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 05:19 PM   #6
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post

how about you share the wealth brother??

zooker
Old 12-21-07, 06:54 PM   #7
vagabond
BassFishin.Com Active Member

I have the Doug Hannon's snakes that cost 90 bucks. It's ok but usually only if you're fishing alone because you have to fish them slow. They have a great web site with a lot of good video.

I bought a huddleston deluxe trout for $39 but I've never tried it out yet. I don't really know when you would use something like that. Not too sure why I bought it. I think it was the video on their website that sold me.

I also bought 3 Rago rats that cost $40 each. I love them and even went swimming for one when I lost it on my very first cast with it. They are great when you cast parallel to the shore line almost at dark. They are absolutely amazing when there is a small pocket of water with land on three sides. Swim the rat from one shore to the other...they tear it up.

The worst lure I ever bought is a Lucky Craft Sammy for $15. Is it even possible to get bit with one of those? Maybe I just got it in a lame color. I got niki-ghost.

All time favorite lure...Ratlin Rogue from Smithwick. Only 6 or 7 bucks but my favorite to fish.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 06:55 PM   #8
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by zooker View Post
how about you share the wealth brother??

zooker
It's no secret , become a veteriarian and you can share the same wealth.
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 07:35 PM   #9
Raul

Quote:
Originally Posted by vagabond View Post
I bought a huddleston deluxe trout for $39 but I've never tried it out yet. I don't really know when you would use something like that. Not too sure why I bought it. I think it was the video on their website that sold me.
Powerful critter the BaitMonkey is.

About 5 years ago I was shure I had everything the DM had to offer ..... then I discovered Japanese baits and the danged fever began again
Raul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-07, 08:11 PM   #10
Bob Smith

Quote:
All time favorite lure...Ratlin Rogue from Smithwick. Only 6 or 7 bucks but my favorite to fish.
If you pay $6 or $7 bucks for a Ratlin Rogue from Smithwick, I don't want to shop wherever you bought those... Someone took you for a ride!
Old 12-21-07, 11:23 PM   #11
3dkicker

I picked up a couple Charlie O and Carin O crankbaits a couple years ago. They run in the $35 to $50+ range but they're antiques (1974-77) and not many left. I have two with me on my boat and I don't use less than 17lb test when fishing with them.
Old 12-22-07, 12:51 AM   #12
vagabond

If you pay $6 or $7 bucks for a Ratlin Rogue from Smithwick, I don't want to shop wherever you bought those... Someone took you for a ride!

You're right. You wouldn't have wanted to shop for bass gear in Medford Oregon. It's all salmon and stealhead fishing here. Big R had the best selection of bass related products for 150 miles...atleast. They have 4' section of plastics and on the other side of the isle they have 8' that has spinnerbaits, buzz baits, jigs, and crankbaits.

Because there was no place else to go, I was always happy to go in and decide which of their two colors of Ratlin Rogue I'd like to have.

It's better now. Last month a Sportsman's Wharehouse opened. They don't have all of their fishing stuff in yet but their bass section is 40' long and 6' tall. I don't care about their prices, I'm just so glad they're here. Now I'll probably be able to come on this site, read about a lure and then hold it in my hand while I decide if I should buy it...all in the same year.

The down side of having selection is maybe others will start fishing bass around here. Right now there are probably 175,000 people in the Rogue Valley and I'd say less than 500 of us fish bass. It's been nice having the entire shoreline to myself every time I go out.
vagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 03:52 AM   #13
pig n jig

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Smith View Post
Bobby, A super rogue will cost you at least a $ 10.00, bill here in my area. Normally the suspending rogues will run a bit more than $7.00 a pop.Buying online has been a tremendous advantage over the local shops.

The Megabass 110 vision in deadly black color is the most expensive lure I have bought so far. I am in a never ending search of the Japanese baits, I don't have a big selection yet, but its not from lack of effort, just lack of money is a tough obstacle to overcome. I did pay $35.00 for a Huddleston, which I gave away.I ain't jumping at the chance to buy another one any time soon either.T he highly argumented Reaction strike swimbaits have produced fish for me.Not a bass as I was expecting, but big trout.The damned cannibals. P N J
pig n jig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 10:06 AM   #14
1FASTLASER

Definately the swimbait that I bought about a month ago. Looks like a bluegill for 29.95 plus tax and shipping. LOL I oughta have my head examined. But hey this is what we do ......RIGHT!
Old 12-22-07, 11:30 AM   #15
BigBassin144

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

We have an old antique lures in the box that was my grandpa's. On ebay, when there is one on there, they normally run about $500. But of course, we never use it.

BB
Old 12-22-07, 08:47 PM   #16
clydes02
BassFishin.Com Member

3 Japanese lures 25$ for a plastic hemming popper very hard to get wood ones go to 100$.I havent used it much trying to learn. Its made buy a guy that most of the other companys got there poppers that go through the mouth and come out the gills.I also have 2 vegabonds plastic inject drunkerd and shinobi 15 each there incredable they work like a jerkbait diver popper all in one.Oh and i got a duel(AKA YO_ZURI) 3d jerk bait comming soon. IVE also got the japanese fever.River2sea are awsome not very expensive the cawfish crank bait is great the bubble popper and a goldfish crank and dragonfly topwater. Ialso have 1 lucky craft jointed jerkbait 15$.

Last edited by clydes02; 12-22-07 at 08:56 PM.
clydes02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-07, 09:45 PM   #17
zooker

my most exspensive bait would be the wiz bang -yeah it is a real lure-a pre 1960 lipless baits made by storm..i had to buy a pair in sealed boxs $75 EACH...

zooker
Old 12-23-07, 12:57 AM   #18
chubs

Seems like when ever I spend More that 7 bucks on a bait a muskie or northern will hammer the damn thing and its gone for ever! so a few baits that Ive purchased that were over 20$ are gone till they wash up on a distant shore for some beachcomer to find and give them to his neighbor that fishes!
chubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 02:10 AM   #19
BassMoJo
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Send a message via AIM to BassMoJo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonfish320 View Post
I love this topic..if my old lady only knew what all those deliveries actually were she would probably shoot me..no really..

As for me, I own two Imitation Bluegills from Mattlures.com, gotta check these out and during the spawn they catch some big @ss BASS! http://www.mattlures.com/ultimatebluegill.htm

I tie a mean polamar knot with a 35# braid and pray to the fishing gods that I don't catch another 30" Pike that decides to bite through my line only feet from the side of the boat...you can picture my reaction

Im gonna have to get some of these they look amazing!!!
BassMoJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-07, 11:08 AM   #20
Bob Smith

Quote:
Originally Posted by pig n jig View Post
Bobby, A super rogue will cost you at least a $ 10.00, bill here in my area. Normally the suspending rogues will run a bit more than $7.00 a pop.Buying online has been a tremendous advantage over the local shops.

The Megabass 110 vision in deadly black color is the most expensive lure I have bought so far. I am in a never ending search of the Japanese baits, I don't have a big selection yet, but its not from lack of effort, just lack of money is a tough obstacle to overcome. I did pay $35.00 for a Huddleston, which I gave away.I ain't jumping at the chance to buy another one any time soon either.T he highly argumented Reaction strike swimbaits have produced fish for me.Not a bass as I was expecting, but big trout.The damned cannibals. P N J
Wow, that's highway robbery, PNJ!
I've bought a couple of original Castaic Swimbaits when they first came out, and I bought the original
AC plug (Broomstick jointed baits). I caught a few on the Castaic perch and the shad, but nothing any bigger than I could have caught using more affordable baits. I never caught anything on the AC plug. Since then the highest I've paid for a bait is $13.00 for a Yellow Magic Popper (money well spent in terms of numbers), and $7.00 for the Mira-Vibe lipless baits (although I have slowly gone back to my original rattletraps and spots).
Old 12-25-07, 11:53 PM   #21
WIUbassin

Quote:
The worst lure I ever bought is a Lucky Craft Sammy for $15. Is it even possible to get bit with one of those? Maybe I just got it in a lame color. I got niki-ghost.
I have a sammy and while its not my go to lure i find it does pretty well on the surface when bass are busting shad its probably all just circumstantial.
Most Expensive? I just picked up a custom made crankbait from AC Shiners co. The detail is rediculous but cost me 25 bucks. Yet to try it but looks great.
Old 12-26-07, 05:14 AM   #22
1FASTLASER

Wow!! WIUbassin

Man where did ya get that AC shiner at. I didnt know they where still making lures. The AC shiner is the predessesor to all the Rapalaminnows, The Smithwick rogues etc etc.... That particular lure on one of my local lakes has prolly made more money in tourneys than any other 2 lures combined.
Old 12-26-07, 12:49 PM   #23
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raul View Post
Got 150 cranks from 15 up to 25 bones pop ( Megabass, Lucky Craft, Jackall, Imakatsu, Daiwa )

Swimbaits ...... donīt ask, the cheapest ones run from 30 up to 90 bones the most expensive.

That ain't it, buddy-it is that nasty Baitmonkey. He gets one look at those high dollar lures and it is all over.

To the original question, I have a number of Lucky Crafts but only bought a couple thanks to a rewards program at my old job.

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.