Bass Fishing HomeBass Fishing Forums

Go Back   BassFishin.Com Forums > Additional Categories > Casual Fishing Discussions & Novice Questions
FAQ Community Members List Today's Posts Search

Old 06-08-09, 08:11 PM   #26
BigBassin144
BassFishin.Com Premier Elite

Send a message via AIM to BigBassin144

John, if we can manage to catch some walleye this summer, I'll find a way to send ya some. I'd have to say this is just about right IMO:

Walleye
Perch
Bluegill
Bass
Catfish (depending on where I'm eating it)
crappy... er... I mean crappie.

BB
Old 06-08-09, 08:14 PM   #27
bamabassman

hahahahahah, i hear ya anthony.
Old 06-09-09, 12:48 AM   #28
Rebbasser

Quote:
Originally Posted by JB View Post
you meant chum rofl
now, that right there is FUNNY!

Old 06-09-09, 01:38 AM   #29
BassinID
BassFishin.Com Veteran Member

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
Rotfl thats awesome!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 09:12 AM   #30
bassFishingWNY
BassFishin.Com Active Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by everettvet View Post
If you want to catch some bass to eat, find someone who is needed to cull some from a pond. Catch and eat in this situation instead of catch and release.

Ponds are a different creature from big lakes in that fish should be taken out in order to prevent over population. My dad's pond is about 1.25 acres and is 7 years old. We have never taken any amount of fish out. This summer we want to remove about 30-50 pounds of bass and as much blue gill as possible. The only restriction we are giving people is to keep bass 12-15 inches and toss back smaller (under legal limit) than 12" and the larger ones over 15". Ask around, there are lots of ponds that need fishing all around this great country.
I'm dead set ageist stocking ponds unless you know what you are doing.
A person I know keeps all the fish, and put in ponds all over. I think to win friends, more then to stock fish.
#1 large mouth bass need weeds to hide in, and the fish they feed on.
#2 Bullhead is the worse thing to put in ponds, they rut up the bottom to rut up food, and kill the weed starting to grow.
#3 small mouth bass need deep water, most ponds are only 10-15 feet deep, not deep enough.
#4 trout need cold water, ponds are not cold enough.
In short, fish need the right things to live. If the pond don't have them, they die.

The fish you put in ponds can disrupt the ecology of the water, and harm fish that could live there. Talk to an expert before putting fish in any water.
bassFishingWNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 01:14 PM   #31
everettvet

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassFishingWNY View Post
I'm dead set ageist stocking ponds unless you know what you are doing.
A person I know keeps all the fish, and put in ponds all over. I think to win friends, more then to stock fish.
#1 large mouth bass need weeds to hide in, and the fish they feed on.
#2 Bullhead is the worse thing to put in ponds, they rut up the bottom to rut up food, and kill the weed starting to grow.
#3 small mouth bass need deep water, most ponds are only 10-15 feet deep, not deep enough.
#4 trout need cold water, ponds are not cold enough.
In short, fish need the right things to live. If the pond don't have them, they die.

The fish you put in ponds can disrupt the ecology of the water, and harm fish that could live there. Talk to an expert before putting fish in any water.
WNY,
I agree that fish should not be removed from one location and placed in another location. I am not sure if you thought that I was meaning that or not or just making a statement. A transplanted fish is a chance to move a problem from one fishery to another. I was just giving her an option for catch and release.
everettvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-09, 03:48 PM   #32
Bassboss

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
sounds like every question has been answered girl. and mississippiboy is dead on, there is no such thing as a stupid question here. you ask anything you need to know. everyone here will answer you in a nice way. or else ol zooker will come outta the hospital and MAKE em say sorry to you. and bassboss....if i were you my friend. i would go back and edit that statement. hahahahaha.
oh yea... the bait monkey......well.... he already has you in his grasp girl. just let it flow, kinda like the force, hahahahaha.
and bb.... largemouth bass is WAAAAAYYYY better thant bream, lmao.
yes girl, i eat bass.
I would but, it's too late, it wont lemme do now, dunno why though?

lol at what Mallen said!
Old 06-09-09, 05:35 PM   #33
Bubba_Bruiser
BassFishin.Com Super Veteran

Send a message via MSN to Bubba_Bruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebbasser View Post
now, that right there is FUNNY!

I don't care who are. I know I am late chiming in on this, but that is hilarious. My wife just keeps looking at me like an idiot. She just don't get it.
Old 06-09-09, 07:18 PM   #34
bamabassman

bubba...... tell her that is why she is having a 3rd bubba. hahahahahaha.
Old 06-10-09, 11:32 PM   #35
66KingFisher

Quote:
you meant chum rofl
I'm still laughing.....hurtin actually....roflmao
66KingFisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 09:29 AM   #36
zooker

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamabassman View Post
bubba...... tell her that is why she is having a 3rd bubba. hahahahahaha.

lol..now dats funny right der...

zooker
Old 06-11-09, 10:03 AM   #37
Mac2

If you use liver for bait, make sure you get liver that has not been previously frozen....fresh works a lot better for either chumming or baiting.
Mac2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-09, 12:31 PM   #38
BigBassin144

Yes, fresh is best. Also a number of catfish stinkbaits are available. Mustad makes a special hook for chicken livers with a safety pin type thing to keep the liver on:
http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/st..._SearchResults

I use these for live bait like larger minnows, bluegill, suckers, etc.
http://www.jannsnetcraft.com/live-ba...ks/820145.aspx

BB
Old 06-11-09, 05:49 PM   #39
woody

Here is another cat fish bait that works extremely well when fishin' for Channel Cats http://www.beejaysbait.com/

~Mark
woody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 03:25 AM   #40
BassinID

Man, I just come back and read it again any time i need a good laugh, it took me like five minutes to settle down enough to type!
BassinID is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 09:47 AM   #41
freakyfish
BassFishin.Com Member

You guy's need to get out more often.
freakyfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-09, 04:40 PM   #42
MallenManson

Send a message via Yahoo to MallenManson

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakyfish View Post
You guy's need to get out more often.

When I go out, I get in trouble. At home, I have an alibi
In fact, big dinner/Taken movie/Stanley Cup Game 7 tonight.....although I may go out afterwards. God, I hope not.....
Old 06-14-09, 09:36 AM   #43
vabeachbass
BassFishin.Com Member

Just my opinion but I always release the bass. It may sound hokey, but every bass I pull from the water, I feel honored and I honor it by returning it to the water. It breaks my heart when I see people take big bass home just to show off. Those bass had to work hard and smart to get to that size and then its all over.
vabeachbass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 04:17 AM   #44
wargoth

mmmmm... kittyfishies....
Bass... meh, it is edible if I am starving to death and my only other options are carp and sheephead...

I practice 100% C&R on bass here, I have at least 6 different species of fish up here that taste 1000x better than bass. Walleye, Perch, Channel Kitties, Bluegillies, Steelhead, Crappie... and a ton of other panfish... but up here at least C&R is more of a matter of fish grow MUCH slower, a 5# bass is an absolute pig here, unfortunately those are the fish that the uneducated masses wanna put on the dinner table

As far as catting goes, there are a ton of sites out there, but really, it is gonna depend alot on the water you are fishing. Raw shrimp are an excellent bait for channels, as it scents and tastes alot like crawdads, and that is a primary forage species for them. It is also easy to get hold of and usually fairly cheap, not to mention doesn't stink to high hell. Try finding some local catters who fish the water you plan to fish, and ask them what works there, I use 6 different rigs and fishing styles in the various places I fish up here, some work at one place but suck at the others. For example, with one lake the only really productive method is to run a circle hook with a 6" leader tied off a swivel, a 1/4" split-shot, all on a lighted slip-bobber anywhere between 2-4 feet down at the weed line. But that rig only works on like 3 lakes here... all of them are glacial "cauldron" lakes... small acreage and about 200' deep surrounded by lillies and stuffed with weeds.

Anyway, srry bout the rambling. drop a line if you wanna get more 411 on catting.
Old 08-06-09, 09:34 AM   #45
nofearengineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wargoth View Post
mmmmm... kittyfishies....
Bass... meh, it is edible if I am starving to death and my only other options are carp and sheephead...

I have at least 6 different species of fish up here that taste 1000x better than bass. Walleye, Perch, Channel Kitties, Bluegillies, Steelhead, Crappie... and a ton of other panfish...
Ugh...channel cats better than bass? You must be smoking something with your fish fry's.

But seriously, I learned a trick from some semi-commerical fishermen in California. They told me that the restaurants they sold their fish to insisted on them doing something particular, and that it made all the difference in the world.

When they caught a fish, before they killed it, they would bleed it out. Now, given they were catching big fish... you don't really keep those in a livewell per se. So before they put them on ice, they would literally cut the fish's throat, so all of the blood came out of the fish. I did this to a couple of barracuda I kept, and it did seem to make a difference in the taste. (The party boat I was on made me stop doing it...they didn't want blood all over their decks hehe). I haven't tried it with bass yet, mostly because I can't seem to catch any 15" bass...everything is either 14" or 5lbs lately. Next time I catch two of them, I will cut one, and leave the other alive until I clean it. I'll let you know the results.

Last edited by nofearengineer; 08-06-09 at 11:39 AM. Reason: Fixed quote
nofearengineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-09, 10:31 AM   #46
WaffleJaw

every now and then ill fry up some bass....usually the small ones, 1.5- 2lb range

but i love catfishing!!!!...lol, ...Im actually taking a break on bass saturday morning to go try and catch some channels and blues..(then spending all day bass fishing from the boat sunday=)

heres how I do it.....i use those shakespheare tiger rods from walmart (about 3 of them) and rig em with 30lb braid....i use the whisker sticker hooks between 3/0 & 5/0
there designed to make the cats hook themselves....catfish ''mouth'' their food alot and they roll the hook in thier mouth and stick themselves...great hooks,only problem they corrode easily....
I rig the line almost like i would a drop shot.....big heavy weight on the end...and a hook about 12'' above that........cast out,let it sink,and reel up the slack so the line is tight,and put the pole in a rod holder in the ground....then i attach a small bell to the rod tip...this way,when the catfish hit it...the bell goes off letting me know theres something striking,,,its alot of fun when your reeling one in,and then your other rods start going off!!!!

bait- catfish will eat anything.....anything with a strong scent.....i usely buy shrimp and a can of tuna.....i put the shrimp in a ziplock bag,and drain the tuna oil in with it.....let the oil soak into the shrimp (the same can be done with hotdogs.....my second choice,doesnt matter what kind of hotdog).......it also doesnt matter how you hook it.....its not like bass....alot of hook showing is alright....they dont care.

locating catfish - rocks ,rocks,and more rocks....always my go to spot on lakes if they have it.....if not,shallow water that drops off to deeper water is a good spot as well....they're similar to bass in a way,they like structure,and clinging to it.......if you have a dam near by,that could be a honey hole!!...especailly when releasing water...it releases alot of dead bait fish,that catfish/all fish like to scoop up...fishing dam's are just plain good for anything.
if you find alot of birds nest over the lake.....cast a line that way...catfish will sit under them and eat thier poop!!...gross no?....but true.

i enjoy catfishing late in the evening while the sun is going down, ill set a few poles up....then walk the bank and bass fish with a casting rod.....if that bell starts ringing,you'll never see a 200lb man hustle like me
Old 08-06-09, 11:51 AM   #47
nofearengineer

Good stuff, Waffle...though I bet some of our catfish "affishionados" on here are gonna jump on you, sayin' catfish will eat anything!

I hope to do some serious catfishing at Patoka one of these nights. We've got some big ol' channels in there I hear. There's also the Ohio. I've got a line clicker on one of my reels I just can't wait to hear go off in the dark.
Old 08-06-09, 12:20 PM   #48
WaffleJaw

a catfish trying to eat a ball...lol....its funny when we fish this rocky peninsula on our lake....theres always a group of people catfishing.....and talking to some of them,they all use different things.....one guy was throwing livers soaked in strawberry jam......and swore by it.....

I just think its a great lazy break from bass fishing....set up some rods and chairs...hanging out with a couple of friends.....but when that bell jingles just a little bit...its amazing how focused and still you become,ready to snatch it up...hahaha.....most of the time its a dam turtle pecking at the bait
Old 08-06-09, 08:01 PM   #49
bamabassman

hey bryce, did oyu like the bass we had at the event? now tell me it didn't taste better or as good as ANY fish you have ever had. wargoth if oyu think bass taste "fishy" or some other reason oyu don't like it. yo need to attend the next get together we are gonna have. i will put up my wifes fried bass against any kind of fish you bring to the table. o i ain't mad or nothing, just don't understand why some people think bass isn't very good to eat. is it guilt because we want to "save" the species? com on now. i doubt very seriously that the few bass we harvest will but even the slightest dent in the population of the species.
Old 08-06-09, 08:07 PM   #50
BigBassin144

Bama you need to try walleye... so much better than bass, lol. So is yellow perch and bluegill, IMO.

BB

Disclosure / Disclaimer
Before acting on the content posted, you should know that BassFishin.Com may benefit financially and otherwise from content, advertising, links or otherwise from anything you click on, read, or look at on our website. Click here to read our Disclosure Policy and Disclaimer.